Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
And like Chisoxfn said...I think Pods will bounce back and have a much better year. Last year could be attributed to an array of things: injuries

That injury has been the excuse for over a year and a half...he just doesn't have the same speed anymore...

Let's not try and sugarcoat it because we luv our team; he was really bad last year and should not have been brought back, much less for 3 million...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
yay. we signed the white figgins and didn't have to give anything up for him.

Figgins can play 3B, 2B, CF and LF.

Pods can't.

I'd hardly call him the White Figgins.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
You act like these were the only options. It wouldn't have cost ridiculous amounts of money to dump Pods and let one of Gload/Mack/Sweeney play LF. Also, Jose Guillen is an available option who is much better than Pods.

if we signed guillen, who would leadoff?

If Scott Podsednik is on this team in anything more than a 4th OFer role, this offseason will be a failed one. There's a reason this guy wasn't getting full-time ABs till age 27. He's a bad baseball player who is still, somehow living off of his 2003 season.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions. I don't think Podsednik's chances of being our starting LFer in 2007 were made any worse/better because of today's signing. If anything, it could mean that KW believes there's a market for Podsednik, and that he doesn't have to ditch him for nothing.

I think the bigger news is that the Sox aren't offering Riske arbitration. At SSS, we came to the conclusion that Riske will probably get about $3 million (probably slightly less) in arbitration if it came down to it. It's an easy chance for the Sox to pickup a top 50 pick in the draft, and if not, I don't think Riske would be untradeable, considering how much guys like Chad Bradford and LaTroy Hawkins are getting.

I normally agree with you but not on this. If they couldn't find a taker for Pods via trade, if they hadn't have signed him to this contract they could let him walk away. Now they are stuck paying him if they can't get rid of him. I do agree he still could be traded. In fact, I'm going to Holy Name after work to light a candle and pray for that.

For $3 million, I don't think Pods even makes for a good trade throw-in. Even with salary inflation, I don't think teams are lining up to waste $3 million on a no-talent player.

I sincerely believe Jerry Owens will beat him out of a starting job come spring training, that's if Pods is still around.

However, Pods is one of the hardest workers on the team. I would imagine he'll be on a mission to erase the memories of last season's failures at the plate. As for his defense...

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
You act like these were the only options. It wouldn't have cost ridiculous amounts of money to dump Pods and let one of Gload/Mack/Sweeney play LF. Also, Jose Guillen is an available option who is much better than Pods.

Gload can hardly throw the ball, why in the hell would we put him in LF. That'd be worse than Pods defensively. Sweeney needs more AAA seasoning (he's what, 22 now?) and Mack isn't an everyday player.

And Jose Guillen is a cancer.

In no way am I defending Pods but your suggested moves don't make us any better off than we are with Podsednik.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
However, Pods is one of the hardest workers on the team.

LOL. What a misconception. The Brewers manager pretty much HATED Pods in his final months up there. He was stubborn as hell at the plate, trying to hit homers rather than use his speed and hit the ball on the ground.

No... If Pods was one of the hardest workers on the team, he couldn't POSSIBLY be THAT BAD in LF.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Gload can hardly throw the ball, why in the hell would we put him in LF. That'd be worse than Pods defensively. Sweeney needs more AAA seasoning (he's what, 22 now?) and Mack isn't an everyday player.

In no way am I defending Pods but your suggested moves don't make us any better off than we are with Podsednik.

Pods can't throw the ball either. The problem is that at least Gload and Mackowiak can give you some offensive production. Either way, I was really hoping we would bring in a legit, every day LF this offseason. No more of this platoon bulls*** with two guys who can't catch the ball and combine to hit 5 homers on the season.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
I'm sure Ozzie would find someone to lead off. Anyone but Uribe would be an improvement over Pods. Iguchi would be fine. Hell, I wouldn't even mind Guillen leading off. I just want an upgrade.

than we would have no speed at all on this team...iguchi,dye,anderson, theyre about avg. you have to have atleast one player that can be a threat on the bases.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)

Exactly...Pods doesn't make us worse, he's just, the same. We know what we have with him. I have a feeling Guillen would be asking for more than $3 mil, even if it was just for one year.

I'm sure Ozzie would find someone to lead off. Anyone but Uribe would be an improvement over Pods. Iguchi would be fine. Hell, I wouldn't even mind Guillen leading off. I just want an upgrade.

The White Sox organization wants Iguchi to bat lower in the order to be a run producer. With Guillen, we have NO LEADOFF MAN.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
than we would have no speed at all on this team...iguchi,dye,anderson, theyre about avg. you have to have atleast one player that can be a threat on the bases.

When Pods is getting caught stealing or picked off 35 pct of the time, I'd rather have no speed and just let our money players do their job instead of giving up outs.

Gload can hardly throw the ball, why in the hell would we put him in LF. That'd be worse than Pods defensively.

Maybe a little worse defensively = MUCH, MUCH better offensively = a significant upgrade in LF

Sweeney needs more AAA seasoning (he's what, 22 now?)

Yes, he needs more seasoning and he's STILL better than Podsednik.

and Mack isn't an everyday player.

Are you saying that he isn't good enough to be an everyday player? Well, he's better than Podsednik, both defensively and offensively. What does that say about Pods? The bottom line is that Mackowiak > Podsednik

The same has been said over and over about AJ and Everett. And the Sox handled those negatives just fine. And even as a cancer, Guillen is much better than Podsednik.

With respect, I don't think you could be more wrong and you haven't even made a decent case for why any of those players isn't better than Pods overall.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
When did Pods whine or b*tch? He was the one player the blamed himself for the team unachieving all season.

I meant, we should hope he improves next year and we should stop b****ing.

I guess you didn't quite get it in context.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
When Pods is getting caught stealing or picked off 35 pct of the time, I'd rather have no speed and just let our money players do their job instead of giving up outs.

lets just say we keep pods in lf and dont trade uribe because it seems like kw likes him...its going to be the same crap all over again.... 8)uribe 9)anderson 1)pods 2) gooch....

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
lets just say we keep pods in lf and dont trade uribe because it seems like kw likes him...its going to be the same crap all over again.... 8)uribe 9)anderson 1)pods 2) gooch....

Yep....and that 8/9/1 is one of the main reasons that we didn't make the playoffs last year. Their contribution during the 2nd half of the season was just pathetic. I could care less about the speed on the team. I want good MLB players that are tough outs and play smart.

The White Sox organization wants Iguchi to bat lower in the order to be a run producer. With Guillen, we have NO LEADOFF MAN.

With Podsednik, we have NO LEADOFF MAN. By that I mean, we have a horrible leadoff man. I'm sure Ozzie and many of you want a speedster to leadoff, but getting on base is much more important than speed. With our middle of the lineup, you need to get guys on base in front of them. Pods can't do that. If KW were to let Pods go and not bring in some light hitting speedster, then Ozzie would be forced to put someone else in the leadoff spot and that would make this lineup better. Instead, KW is giving Ozzie the no-hitting semi-speedster that Ozzie wants.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)

Can I look at your crystal ball? I'd love to see what my stock prices will do.

Seriously, this team won 90 games last year. I think the you need to cut that down to Uribe and Pods...we know what we are going to get from them. Iguchi is as steady as they come and Anderson should improve or he will be replaced.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)

Uribe. Anderson. Podsednik.

Which one of these is not like the other? Which one of these just doesn't belong?

Two of the above three play good-to-great defense at positions where having a good defender is vital. One of the three plays the easiest defensive position in all of baseball.

It could be even worse than that. With Iguchi moving down in the lineup, it could be Uribe in the 2 spot, getting more AB's in the season and putting even fewer men on base in front of our genuinely good hitters, leading to significantly fewer runs scored.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Great, another season of no tools Podsednik out in LF. I can't believe KW failed to upgrade the LF/leadoff position. It almost seems like people forget just how awful he was last season. Does this mean we also don't acquire a back-up outfielder, and go with Mackowiak as our back-up in CF and Ozuna in LF?

My fearless prediction is that the 2007 team will feature Pods in LF, Alomar as backup catcher, Sweeney/Owens in CF, and either Vazquez or Garland traded to Texas for minor league closer Nick Masset. And a 4th place finish.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong on any of this.