Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pods RC27 number -- 3.88 -- ranks him among the worst qualifiers in baseball last year. Of course, this wasn't the worst figure on the team. While we're at it, why not look at the whole team. We averaged 5.35 runs/game. Who upped the average, and who lowered it?

Our fabulous 3

Jim Thome = 9.15

Jermaine Dye = 8.77

Paul Konerko = 7.53

More than pulled their weight

Ross Gload = 6.03

Ozuna = 5.83

Joe Crede = 5.70

Almost average

AJ = 5.21

Iguchi = 5.26

Mack = 5.31

Offensive deadweights

Brian Anderson 3.35

Juan Uribe 3.69

Pods 3.88

Cintron 4.24

No one else had even 100 plate appearances.

So what conclusions should we draw from this?? Re-signing Pods for even $2.9 million is a lack of foresight and a mistake.

Ross Gload should be our starting left fielder next season -- with Mackowiak backing him up -- unless someone can emerge that can hit nearly as well as he can and field better than he can.

Ross Gload created 6 runs/game last year. And the other year he got more than 150 ABs, he created 6.41 runs/game. That is pretty damn good, considering Joe Crede comes in at 5.70 runs/game. It wouldn't put him among the LF leaders in this category, but it would be respectable. And Iguchi followed by Gload followed by Dye would be so much better than Pods/Iguchi/Dye that it wouldn't be funny. Gload is a prototypical #2 hitter -- high average, low strike outs, left handed, bunts well, hits lefties and righties equally well -- whereas Iguchi is being shoe-horned into that role.

But I've given up hope that logic will prevail here. Ozzie Guillen has to be chirping in KW's ear about needing speed, speed, speed. To hell with speed. With Dye/Thome/Konerko being the best 3-4-5 in baseball, just get someone ON ahead of them.

sure he stunk, but maybe he'll be motivated.

And now it'll be easier to insert one of our prospects if Scott is failing to

get on base and steal in April and May.

I'd rather have him and insert a young replacement from our farm system

than bring in some average player and feel obligated to let that player rot

all year.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
sure he stunk, but maybe he'll be motivated.

And now it'll be easier to insert one of our prospects if Scott is failing to

get on base and steal in April and May.

I'd rather have him and insert a young replacement from our farm system

than bring in some average player and feel obligated to let that player rot

all year.

You know damn well this won't happen.

Guillen and his apologists will claim, "he's just starting slow; give him time!"

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Pods RC27 number -- 3.88 -- ranks him among the worst qualifiers in baseball last year. Of course, this wasn't the worst figure on the team. While we're at it, why not look at the whole team. We averaged 5.35 runs/game. Who upped the average, and who lowered it?

Our fabulous 3

Jim Thome = 9.15

Jermaine Dye = 8.77

Paul Konerko = 7.53

Ross Gload = 6.03

Ozuna = 5.83

Joe Crede = 5.70

Almost average

AJ = 5.21

Iguchi = 5.26

Mack = 5.31

Offensive deadweights

Brian Anderson 3.35

Juan Uribe 3.69

Pods 3.88

Cintron 4.24

So what conclusions should we draw from this?? Re-signing Pods for even $2.9 million is a lack of foresight and a mistake.

Ross Gload should be our starting left fielder next season -- with Mackowiak backing him up -- unless someone can emerge that can hit nearly as well as he can and field better than he can.

Ross Gload created 6 runs/game last year. And the other year he got more than 150 ABs, he created 6.41 runs/game. That is pretty damn good, considering Joe Crede comes in at 5.70 runs/game. It wouldn't put him among the LF leaders in this category, but it would be respectable. And Iguchi followed by Gload followed by Dye would be so much better than Pods/Iguchi/Dye that it wouldn't be funny. Gload is a prototypical #2 hitter -- high average, low strike outs, left handed, bunts well, hits lefties and righties equally well -- whereas Iguchi is being shoe-horned into that role.

But I've given up hope that logic will prevail here. Ozzie Guillen has to be chirping in KW's ear about needing speed, speed, speed. To hell with speed. With Dye/Thome/Konerko being the best 3-4-5 in baseball, just get someone ON ahead of them.

We dont agree on a lot, however I entirely agree with this. Ross Gload should be our LF and hitting 2nd. With Tad leading off. Prancer should not see the light of day, he should be a pinch runner at best.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)

Our fabulous 3

Jim Thome = 9.15

Jermaine Dye = 8.77

Paul Konerko = 7.53

Ross Gload = 6.03

Ozuna = 5.83

Joe Crede = 5.70

Almost average

AJ = 5.21

Iguchi = 5.26

Mack = 5.31

Offensive deadweights

Brian Anderson 3.35

Juan Uribe 3.69

Pods 3.88

Cintron 4.24

So you are saying that Iguchi is being shoe-horned into the #2 hole? You think he's a leadoff hitter? I think not. He's a #6 or #7 hitter. This signing is called covering your a**. We DO need OBP guys and Gload is that guy, but we also have pitchers that pitch to contact, we know what we have in Pods...maybe it's not great, but we know what it is. Gload has NEVER played LF for an extended period of time. 2.9 mil for one year isn't a big deal especially for what FA are signing for.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
So you are saying that Iguchi is being shoe-horned into the #2 hole? You think he's a leadoff hitter? I think not. He's a #6 or #7 hitter. This signing is called covering your a**. We DO need OBP guys and Gload is that guy, but we also have pitchers that pitch to contact, we know what we have in Pods...maybe it's not great, but we know what it is. Gload has NEVER played LF for an extended period of time. 2.9 mil for one year isn't a big deal especially for what FA are signing for.

Pods is horrible in LF. Ozuna is almost better than him, and that is saying a lot. I think Gload will give you the same bad defense that Pods gives you in LF, except that Gload can hit, Gload can hit lefties, and Gload is easily something we need in front of the thumpers, someone that can get on with his stick and have a good OBP.

Gload is worse defensively in LF than Podsednik.

Defense and pitching are the problem with the Sox.

Offense is not. I don't see why everyone has a hard on about Ross f'n Gload.

If he's so great, why is he still a backup? He's 30, made his big league debut in 2000 and has never had over 250 plate appearances in a season. In 2001 and 2003, he never even played a game in the big leagues. There's a reason folks. I mean judging by the way people talk about him, if other GM's feel the same, we should be able to just flip him for some stud talent. He's a first baseman by trade and most teams would not want him as their everyday first baseman. He's not that good and neither is Podsednik. We need to upgrade at the position and that doesn't involve giving the position to Gload who might be one of the guys in the league who actually has a weaker arm than Pods from LF.

Get out of here with this Ross Gload crap. It's disgusting.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
A little harsh, but I feel the exact same way, (talked about in the Gload thread a few days ago..)

Hey, after a while I get tired of people talking about a journeyman backup as the best option for our team in LF.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Hey, after a while I get tired of people talking about a journeyman backup as the best option for our team in LF.

:ph34r:

Is it safe to say we're a team with a star right fielder, and then four or five 5th outfielders on the roster? If only we could acquire Rowand, then we'd have a 4th outfielder as well.

;)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
We dont agree on a lot, however I entirely agree with this. Ross Gload should be our LF and hitting 2nd. With Tad leading off. Prancer should not see the light of day, he should be a pinch runner at best.

wow, we want to be a championship team and were gunna have ross gload as our left fielder?

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
;)

wow, we want to be a championship team and were gunna have ross gload as our left fielder?

We would have had a better chance of winning the WS last year if Gload was our LF instead of Pods. It really is just mind-boggling how so many people seem to forget how bad Pods has been for the last year and a half. But I agree with what some of the wiser posters have stated....this move doesn't guarantee he'll be on the team in 2007.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
We would have had a better chance of winning the WS last year if Gload was our LF instead of Pods. It really is just mind-boggling how so many people seem to forget how bad Pods has been for the last year and a half. But I agree with what some of the wiser posters have stated....this move doesn't guarantee he'll be on the team in 2007.

No. Pitching, pitching, pitching. That is why. Gload wouldn't have given us any better of a chance.

Wow, I see that nothing changes on Soxtalk. First off, I was a bit shocked to see this Pods signing as well, but it doesn't mean he's staying. Second, why is every Sox player either overrated or underrated here? Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how horrible Pods was last year. No, he was not great. But he was not as piss poor as half of you make it sound. Admittedly, the fundamentals were lacking, but he hit fairly well . He had some bad slumps, but he had some good stretches as well. And he still got a lot of stolen bases. Wasn't he still no. 2 or 3 on the stolen bases list for the A.L.? Frankly, IMO, you people are being overdramatic about this. Let's not forget that it's PITCHING that cost us last year, NOT hitting. STFU about Pods last year already when he was NOT as bad as everyone makes it sound. And yes, he could get better. Whoever it was that said we should stop b****ing, I say "AMEN!"

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
If he's so great, why is he still a backup? He's 30, made his big league debut in 2000 and has never had over 250 plate appearances in a season. In 2001 and 2003, he never even played a game in the big leagues. There's a reason folks. I mean judging by the way people talk about him, if other GM's feel the same, we should be able to just flip him for some stud talent. He's a first baseman by trade and most teams would not want him as their everyday first baseman. He's not that good and neither is Podsednik.

What're you talking about, Pods is awesome! If he isn't great, why is he still a starter? He's had 550+ plate appearances for each of the last 4 seasons. Each of those years, he's started more than 3/4 of his team's games. There's a reason, sir. I mean, judging by the way you're talking about him, if the Sox felt the same way, they wouldn't have him in the roster everyday. Obviously some team must want him as their left fielder for the Sox to have resigned him. He's teh bestest.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)

no im not forgetting how bad he was, im not saying hes a better option. im just saying, how do u expect to be a championship caliber team with gload as ur everyday lf?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gload was even worse in 2005, and if it doesn't guarantee Pods will be on the team, why are you flipping out so much? :huh:

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Wow, I see that nothing changes on Soxtalk. First off, I was a bit shocked to see this Pods signing as well, but it doesn't mean he's staying. Second, why is every Sox player either overrated or underrated here? Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how horrible Pods was last year. No, he was not great.

1.)But he was not as piss poor as half of you make it sound.

2.)Admittedly, the fundamentals were lacking,

3.)but he hit fairly well .

4.)He had some bad slumps,

5.)but he had some good stretches as well.

6.)And he still got a lot of stolen bases. Wasn't he still no. 2 or 3 on the stolen bases list for the A.L.?

7.)Frankly, IMO, you people are being overdramatic about this. Let's not forget that it's PITCHING that cost us last year, NOT hitting.

8.)STFU about Pods last year already when he was NOT as bad as everyone makes it sound. And yes, he could get better. Whoever it was that said we should stop b****ing, I say "AMEN!"

1.) Actually he was.

2.) Nonexistent would be a much better way of putting it.

3.) No, no he didn't.

4.) Wretched slumps that took up most of the 2006 season.

5.) I think you meant good "stretch" as in singular, May.

6.) Yep, he stole 40 bases which was good for 5th in the American league last year. Of course he was also caught stealing 19 times which was the most in the AL last year by 3 over Figgins and a whopping 8 over Luis Castillo. He was also only successful 63.8% of the time when attempting to steal a base which was the worst in baseball last year for all "basestealers". The general rule of thumb is if you're under 75% you're hurting more than you're helping, he was 11.2% worse than that. So in other words he was the worst basestealer in all of baseball by quite a large margin.

7.) Pitching may have been the #1 reason but having possibly the worst leadoff hitter in all of baseball didn't help much.

8.) You're right he may actually have been worse than people make him out to be.

Just some food for thought out of all the leadoff hitters in the AL last season Podsednik's .330 OBP was the worst of all of them with the exception of only Joey Gathright (ungodly bad) and Covelli Crisp (injury prone season). Mix this with some of the worst defense you're ever gonna see and you have a combo of epic suckitude.

One more thing to wrap your mind around: since July 27th, 2005 Scott Podsednik has put up this line:

182 G | 703 AB | 65 BB | 125 K | 48 SB | 29 CS | 62.34 SB% | .263/.327/.347/.674

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1.) Actually he was.

2.) Nonexistent would be a much better way of putting it.

3.) No, no he didn't.

4.) Wretched slumps that took up most of the 2006 season.

5.) I think you meant good "stretch" as in singular, May.

6.) Yep, he stole 40 bases which was good for 5th in the American league last year. Of course he was also caught stealing 19 times which was the most in the AL last year by 3 over Figgins and a whopping 8 over Luis Castillo. He was also only successful 63.8% of the time when attempting to steal a base which was the worst in baseball last year for all "basestealers". The general rule of thumb is if you're under 75% you're hurting more than you're helping, he was 11.2% worse than that. So in other words he was the worst basestealer in all of baseball by quite a large margin.

7.) Pitching may have been the #1 reason but having possibly the worst leadoff hitter in all of baseball didn't help much.

8.) You're right he may actually have been worse than people make him out to be.

Just some food for thought out of all the leadoff hitters in the AL last season Podsednik's .330 OBP was the worst of all of them with the exception of only Joey Gathright (ungodly bad) and Covelli Crisp (injury prone season). Mix this with some of the worst defense you're ever gonna see and you have a combo of epic suckitude.

One more thing to wrap your mind around: since July 27th, 2005 Scott Podsednik has put up this line:

182 G | 703 AB | 65 BB | 125 K | 48 SB | 29 CS | 62.34 SB% | .263/.327/.347/.674

I generally (although not always) agree with you on things, but you are doing exactly what I've said. YES< he did hit well, aand at one point, if I remember correctly, got his average over .300. 40 stolen bases is still good. I personally believe it all goes with the team. if the Sox had won teh WS last year, or at least the division, I guarantee you that all this b****ing about Pods would be drastically reduced if even produced at ALL. 40 SB would have looked pretty good. From a couple things you've said, it seems to me you are, like I said, being overdramatic, and perhaps have not payed as much attention to Pods this year as I have (and that's sad considering I actually have a bad memory). Pods was not great last year, but he did a lot tp contribute. I'm tired of this attitude from people who act like Pods was the number 1 reason the Sox bombed last year. The amount of complaining about the pitching (the thing that DID cost us last year) pales in comparison to all the b****ing about Pods that I've heard, and it's sickening. If the pitching had produced, Pods successes would have been highlighted more than his faults. As usual, when a team fails for whatever reason, people blame it on anything and everything they can. Regardless of the stats, Pods did contribute in many ways. Stop blaming Pods for the Sox's failrues, people, for God's sake. Again, it all boils down to winning. If you win, people praise you regardless of any f***-ups, at least mostly. If you lose, people are much more sensitive to your f***-ups, and all of them. But Pods was not a total f***-up last year.