Steve Phillips....c'mon now

shawnhillegas

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been a Sox fan since 1970. But if the White Sox sign Barry Bonds, I will completely disown the club during the entirety of his time on the team. And it may be very difficult to revive my loyalty even after he is gone.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all off season.

I find it hard to believe that he refused to play. I don't listen to the Boston media on Ramirez for the most part, it's all exaggerated, and they simply dislike the guy because he refuses to talk to them.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 2 instances I mentioned arent speculation. He did not play in either of those games and that is what his manager said at the time.

The mp3 player etc are, thats why I listed them as "stories".

Just as it is speculation what Bonds knew about using steroids.

I find it hard to believe that he refused to play. I don't listen to the Boston media on Ramirez for the most part, it's all exaggerated, and they simply dislike the guy because he refuses to talk to them.

Some things are common sense, some aren't. That's a horrible analogy.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in the vast minority when I say I wouldn't mind seeing Barry in a Sox uniform for one year. However, it won't happen because we have no room for him.

Why would you mind? You'd win more games and have a better chance to win a World Series with Bonds than without him.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
I've been a Sox fan since 1970. But if the White Sox sign Barry Bonds, I will completely disown the club during the entirety of his time on the team. And it may be very difficult to revive my loyalty even after he is gone.

As bad as the Garcia trade was, this rumor flat out sucks.

We ride Frank Thomas out of town -- just about the only steroid-era slugger who never juiced -- and two seasons later bring in the #1 juicer, and liar, of them all??? To hell with baseball. I've been able to avoid BB b/c I could care less about the NL. If he ever puts on a Sox uni ... well may the curse of the black Sox be revived.

I hope this rumor never comes to pass.

its amazing to me that some peoples hatred for bonds is stronger than their "love" for the white sox. i hate bonds, but to suggests that I woudl EVER stop rooting for the white sox is nuts. i certainly dont hate bonds enough to ever do that. maybe others are different, but i would expect people who have been fans since 1970 would never stray in their loyalty to the team.....even if they did sign someone like bonds

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Why would you mind? You'd win more games and have a better chance to win a World Series with Bonds than without him.

well stated

Just as it is speculation what Bonds knew about using steroids.

Only an idiot or a Barry cheerleader would believe that.

I used the word "Knew".

Now if only an "idiot" would believe that, why has the federal govt not been able to indict Bonds for perjury?

He stated under oath that he did not knowingly take steriods.

The fed has tried unsuccessfully to indict him for perjury.

Indictments almost are automatic in a normal case, you dont even have to abide by the rules of evidence and the defense does not get to refute any claims, and the prosecution does not have to provide any exculpatory evidence.

The fact that they cant get an idictment makes it very hard for me to believe that there is all this overwhelming evidence that Bonds knowingly took steriods.

I guess you will be applying for a job as an Asst. United States Prosecutor though and will be the one to finally break the case against Bonds?

Because as you said only "an idiot" would believe me, so you should be able to easily convince 12 people that they are not idiots?

Or do you just hate Bonds and dont care about facts or reality?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
I used the word "Knew".

Now if only an "idiot" would believe that, why has the federal govt not been able to indict Bonds for perjury?

He stated under oath that he did not knowingly take steriods.

The fed has tried unsuccessfully to indict him for perjury.

Indictments almost are automatic in a normal case, you dont even have to abide by the rules of evidence and the defense does not get to refute any claims, and the prosecution does not have to provide any exculpatory evidence.

The fact that they cant get an idictment makes it very hard for me to believe that there is all this overwhelming evidence that Bonds knowingly took steriods.

I guess you will be applying for a job as an Asst. United States Prosecutor though and will be the one to finally break the case against Bonds?

Because as you said only "an idiot" would believe me, so you should be able to easily convince 12 people that they are not idiots?

Or do you just hate Bonds and dont care about facts or reality?

You don't seem to understand that there's a difference between what can be proven in a court of law and what can be deduced from common sense.

It's nearly impossible to prove in a court of law what Barry was thinking, as the prosecution most likely doesn't have ESP. But anybody with a shred of common sense wouldn't buy his bullsh!t "I thought it was flaxseed" argument. Anybody with a shred of common sense would know that a professional athlete who has a personal trainer, a personal chef, and a professional nutritionist at his disposal would actually take the time to know what he's putting in his body. Anybody with a shred of common sense would become suspicious when said nutritionist pleaded guilty to supplying proessional athletes with steroids and said personal trainer would rather spend time in prison rather than answer questions about his multi-millionaire client's alleged steroid use. Anybody with a shred of common sense would interpret a 73-HR season from a player at age 37 as somewhat suspicious, especially when said player had never even had a 50-HR season and was way past his prime. Anybody with a shred of common sense would say that the evidence strongly suggests that Barry Lamar Bonds knowingly took steroids, particularly because he already admitted to using BALCO'S illicit products via grand jury testimony.

But, like you said, if you can't proven it in a court of law, it must not be true. The only thing that this case has shown is that it's nearly impossible to prove what somebody was thinking. And the fact that the defendent is most likely paying a key witness to sit in jail and keep his mouth shut makes it even more difficult.

Or perhaps they're just heavily-biased, like the 12 people who refused to believe that O.J. could've committed murder, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and a civil trial that found him guilty as all hell? Good argument there, buddy. :lol:

Edited by WCSox

to 2

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
its amazing to me that some peoples hatred for bonds is stronger than their "love" for the white sox. i hate bonds, but to suggests that I woudl EVER stop rooting for the white sox is nuts. i certainly dont hate bonds enough to ever do that. maybe others are different, but i would expect people who have been fans since 1970 would never stray in their loyalty to the team.....even if they did sign someone like bonds

well stated

Barry doesn't clog bases when he hits homers. Barry hits dinger about every 13or 14 ab.. If he plays a whole season he usually will be walked 100 to 232 times. His Obp would considering his last 10 years to be between 400 and 600.. Personally, I think the steroid controversy is a bit overdone.. Many Pro football players, weight lifters, and Baseball players have used them Lyle Alzado, Andre the giant they both had early demises but I think that should be a player choice he knows what could happen detection, law intervention and health problems. I was astounded when MCGUire was accused of it.. I always thought that the Olympics was the only place that a person had to have clean urine.. Professional athletes should not have to face such scrutiny. Honestly, If I was any good had warning track power and I knew I could drive the ball 25 more feet with a steroids and a proper workout regimine I would have and I dare say the majority of baseball players would have did anything to make the difference between the minors and th show or a mediocre player and a superstar. Steroids themselves won't make you a superstar you still have to have the timing and the eyes and coordination to hit a ball coming at you at 90 + mph and still drive it out of the park. Perhaps though there should be a clause protecting us if he is indicted for perjury or any felony that may take Bonds away from hitting the 22 homers needed to break Aaron's record or the 60 + dingers that sox fans should expect this season...