Steve Phillips....c'mon now

shawnhillegas

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
if we sign bonds, i dont tune in next season.

book it.

I cannot fathom such a move. If KW really was in the market for a power-hitting, malcontented left fielder, I think we would have heard about much more interest from the White Sox regarding Manny Ramirez. It won't happen.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
if we sign bonds, i dont tune in next season.

book it.

I hate Barry Bonds mind you.

But to play devils advocate, what if it meant winning the 07 WS. Not that I think it would for any reason, but what if signing him was the last piece of the puzzle, would you then disavow the sox due to your hatred of a player. I love the Whitesox and might hate a player, but if that player plays the for the whitesox then he is one of us.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Wouldnt mind seeing that happen but i dont think Bonds is worth $18M not to mention (of all rumors) he would truely be a clubhouse cancer. Did him and AJ get along in SF?

Any contract Bonds gets is going to be filled with performance based incentives. The Giants are the only team that might give him a base salary over $10 million.

What's the difference between Pods and Bonds?

Both are horrific fielding left fielders who have seen their power numbers plummet since the 2004 season and both don't hustle down the line. One is a future Hall of Famer though, and the other one is a future Schaumburg Flyers designated hitter.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
If the Sox sign Bonds they will get 45 ESPN sunday night games and will be on every saturday on Fox.

Needless to say, Bonds pays for himself and others.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)

Both are horrific fielding left fielders who have seen their power numbers plummet since the 2004 season and both don't hustle down the line. One is a future Hall of Famer though, and the other one is a future Schaumburg Flyers designated hitter.

And neither are leadoff hitters...

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)

I can't see Barry playing for Schaumburg.....

:P :D

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
Phillips predicts that the Sox will make a run at Bonds for LF. He indicated that there is some connection between Bonds' agent and the Sox front office. First time I've heard this, and it sounded like a lot of speculation to me.

This is why he sucked as a GM and is now a talking face on ESPN.

I just feel like Steve Phillips doesnt think these things out. While Bonds is worth so much in ratings, all personality and roids issues aside, we need speed, and Bonds is the slowest man in baseball. I cant fathom a lineup with him, Dye, Konerko, Thome, Crede and AJ. It would take 4 singles to get anyone home.

Imagine the OBP if he and Thome bat around one another. Lord that is a ton of walks. As for speed and defense IF he is somewhat healthy which I am not sure of, he is a better leftfielder than Pods. That is a huge if though. In general he does not appear to fit this team as it causes more issues.

Now what if there was a market for Thome? What if Thome was injured in the second half and they feel this is the player he is and not the one we saw in the first half? If there is value in Thome why not explore Bonds to replace Thome? Not saying I would like it but Bonds pays for himself and is off the books the next year. In the current market, Thome's numbers = $12-15M and he can still play first base. Think the Astros could use a lefthanded bat for firstbase and starter........

Think Schmidt could replace Garcia?

Sorry I am bored with the inactivity.

Bonds and Sox keeps popping up, there has to be something there. Maybe AJ and he actually got along....

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
This is such crap...I won't even dignify this trash with any analyis on why Bonds would be a horrific acqusition for the Sox.

i hate bonds, but in our tiny park compared to SBC, and with his obp batting in front thome konerko and dye, we'd score an awful lot of runs, for absolute certain sell out every game that he gets close to that record, and probably sell alot more tix, get alot more people watching on tv....my personal feelings aside for bonds, I wouldn't mind him too much, because he would be good for the team for a year or two. as for his agents relationship with upper management i have no idea, except that they wanted him back in 95 and asked thomas who hed rather have protecting him, belle or bonds and he picked belle.