Twins expect Santana gone by 2008, per paper

beck72

Didn't see this posted anywhere. If the Twins can't hold onto Johan, that would be a devastating hit to the Twins. As long as they trade him to a NL team. I don't want to see him on the Yanks :angry: The twins would be fools to trade him to an AL team--though the Yanks are positioning themselves to be suitors by acquiring the young arms needed to get Santana.

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/905897.html

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
I wish the Sox would get him but that wouldn't be realistic at all :(

Probably not. Our luck would see that Johan hires Boras as his agent somewhere between 2007 and 2008, just in time for the bargaining.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I wish the Sox would get him but that wouldn't be realistic at all :(

The Twins would under no circumstances trade him to the Sox. But as a FA.... With the sox getting young arms, they will have money for a few big money arms

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Every pitcher is an injury risk and I imagine that the White Sox won't even be in on the bidding.

Although, I should add that I was being mocking when I said, "We don't take that kind of risk." It's no secret that I dislike our organization's three-years-ONLY policy.

That's why you trade Buehrle and Thome to free up like $30 million dollars. Then you sign Santana to a 3-year $100 million dollar contract and make him pitch every day. He's bound to set some kind of record then!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
What risk? Risk of him winning more Cy Youngs? This is the one guy that yo pay the roof for.

Every pitcher is a huge risk long term. The White Sox were prepared to go a lot of years for Alex Fernandez, but luckily didn't get the chance. They liked the fact he was young and had impeccible mechanics. He blows his arm out a couple years later. I can't see the White Sox ever offering more than 4 years for any pitcher, except maybe they would go to 5 for Santana. Other teams would go to 7 or 8 though.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Every pitcher is a huge risk long term. The White Sox were prepared to go a lot of years for Alex Fernandez, but luckily didn't get the chance. They liked the fact he was young and had impeccible mechanics. He blows his arm out a couple years later. I can't see the White Sox ever offering more than 4 years for any pitcher, except maybe they would go to 5 for Santana. Other teams would go to 7 or 8 though.

Wasnt it at the end of the very next year with the Marlins? IIRC, he started off the year unstoppable for the Marlins, but didnt get to pitch in the World Series or Playoffs because he was already shelved, and never really recovered.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
What risk? Risk of him winning more Cy Youngs? This is the one guy that yo pay the roof for.

Exactly. I can see JR or KW making an exception for the best pitcher in baseball.

Although, much can happen between now and the end of Johan's contract. He might not be the best pitcher in baseball at that point.

Or maybe the Sox sign Zambrano after the 2007 season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)

Jesus, did you seriously put Santana in the same sentence as Fernandez?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Jesus, did you seriously put Santana in the same sentence as Fernandez?

I think Alex actually had a better record of avoiding injuries when he hit FA than Johan currently has had, FWIW.

Someone is going to give Johan 7-8 years and $20-$25 million a year if he keeps this stuff up. And I bet whoever does it will wind up regretting 4-5 of those years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
I think Alex actually had a better record of avoiding injuries when he hit FA than Johan currently has had, FWIW.

Someone is going to give Johan 7-8 years and $20-$25 million a year if he keeps this stuff up. And I bet whoever does it will wind up regretting 4-5 of those years.

I can see anyone regretting signing the best pitcher in baseball to a contract.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
I can see anyone regretting signing the best pitcher in baseball to a contract.

Injuries and payroll sir, injuries and payroll. When you dump a huge portion of your salary into one person, especialy 1 pitcher (when you need 5 starters), if there's an injury, you don't recover from it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
So who is going to get the largest contract out of that Free Agent class? Johan Santana or Miguel Cabrera?

Depends on the technicality of what largest is.

Length will certainly go to Cabrera.

Salary per year will end up in Santana's corner, and possibly by a lot.

Total salary will probably be Cabrera, but I could even see a case where that didn't occur.

I currently see Cabrera in the 10-12 year, $200-240 million range, while I see Santana at like friggin 8/$200-224, or if Brian Sabean is fired and rehired, 9/$225-252

(a lot of that does depend upon how similar the market is to this market 2 years from now too)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
Depends on the technicality of what largest is.

Length will certainly go to Cabrera.

Salary per year will end up in Santana's corner, and possibly by a lot.

Total salary will probably be Cabrera, but I could even see a case where that didn't occur.

I currently see Cabrera in the 10-12 year, $200-240 million range, while I see Santana at like friggin 8/$200-224, or if Brian Sabean is fired and rehired, 9/$225-252

(a lot of that does depend upon how similar the market is to this market 2 years from now too)

I was thinking in terms of total salary, realistically Cabrera should get more years and Johan should get more per. It should be interesting to see if they can crack the half billion mark between the 2 of them (I doubt this will happen but there's certainly a chance). One thing's for sure though, it will be a record setting offseason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:57 PM)
I was thinking in terms of total salary, realistically Cabrera should get more years and Johan should get more per. It should be interesting to see if they can crack the half billion mark between the 2 of them (I doubt this will happen but there's certainly a chance). One thing's for sure though, it will be a record setting offseason.

No doubt

Not going to lie, it would be fun as hell to see both of them hire Boras. I would put money on them getting $500 mill combined.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
No doubt

Not going to lie, it would be fun as hell to see both of them hire Boras. I would put money on them getting $500 mill combined.

Seeing as how the Sox will likely not even make an offer to either player, I'd love to see them hire Boras. Scott loves to promote his clients, imagine the portfolio he could put together for Santana.