NUKE's war diary.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

As many of you already know I'll be deploying with my Army unit to Iraq early next month so I thought it'd be cool to share my first hand experiences with my friends here in the Filibuster.

Expect to see the first entry toward the end of this month as we prepare to leave and then at varying intervals while Im over there as time permits. The thread will appear as a pinned topic here in this forum but it will be locked so that only my entries can be posted. This is to prevent politics and arguments from clouding the issue. If anyone cares to comment or ask a question of me about anything they see in this blog they are welcome to PM me or post a seperate thread in the forum and I will answer as best as I can ( without going into operational stuff that I cant talk about ).

My entries will be in very broad and general terms and in past tense. Obviously, for security reasons, I will not discuss ANY specifics about ongoing or planned missions, where they're being conducted at or when or how many of whatever is involved. Anything I write about will have already happened. This is for my own safety as well as those around me and to keep me out of trouble with whoever might be watching.

At any rate, I think this is going to be a lot of fun and Im looking forward to it, as are the moderators with whom I've already discussed this little project with.

:usa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Alright! It’s getting down to crunch time for me now. My unit is slated to leave for the Middle East on Tuesday the 6th. Looks like we’ll be spending about 2-3 weeks in Kuwait drawing equipment and doing some last minute training before rolling north. Of course nothing is set in stone so we’ll just have to see how things shake out. One thing that does help is that the sector of Baghdad that my unit is being assigned to is the exact same sector I was patrolling when I went over there the 1st time so at least I’ll be somewhat familiar with the area. That, along with body armor that weighs almost as much as I do and the most up to date armored humvees.

It’s been 9 months since I arrived at Fort Riley for my assignment with the 1st Infantry Division. In that time we’ve stood up a brand new unit, trained it for war and now we’re going to go put our skills to the test

in the very heart of the fight between ourselves and our allies .vs. the forces of Islamofascism and their Syrian and Iranian backers. We’re trained, we’re pumped up, and we’re ready to go over there and take the fight to our enemies. God willing, we’ll all make it back in one piece.

Nuke, you mentioned the body armor, how has that changed since your first trip? What are the pros and cons for the new design? It seems that there is a balance between being safe when hit and avoiding getting hit in the first place. For example, heavy cumbersome stuff that makes you an easier target versus lighter more maneuverable types that allow you to get out of the way easier. I've read comments that some guys will not wear it because of comfort and a belief that it causes the enemy to aim for their heads.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Nuke, you mentioned the body armor, how has that changed since your first trip? What are the pros and cons for the new design? It seems that there is a balance between being safe when hit and avoiding getting hit in the first place. For example, heavy cumbersome stuff that makes you an easier target versus lighter more maneuverable types that allow you to get out of the way easier. I've read comments that some guys will not wear it because of comfort and a belief that it causes the enemy to aim for their heads.

They've made lots of upgrades to it since the war started. There are now ballistic side plates to protect against roadisde explosions. Seems a lot of casualties were being caused by guys taking hits to their sides. Now the armor weighs a lot........something like 40-45 lbs for just the armor itself ( not including ammo and other stuff ). At any given time I'll have like 60-70 lbs of equipment on my person ( ammo, water, misc stuff, and the armor itself ) I can get around in it pretty easily but some of the guys are going to need some time to get used to it.

In our previous talks about body armor on here I noted that mobility was going to be a problem eventually if they kept adding stuff and its starting to hit that point. I suspect that guys are going to take off some stuff ( especially the kevlar sleeves that fit over the upper arms ) as time goes on.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
I am going to open this up for long enough for some well wishes.

Be safe Nuke. You gotta a lotta people here praying for the best :pray

BE safe, my conservative friend. Even though not nominated this year, I would have a drink with ya when you return safely. :drink

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
My family, friends, and Scouts are praying for you and all involved in wars worldwide.

Nuke, what is your mailing list and can kids send letters?

Don't have an address yet. Will post something when I get that info.