USA Today

aboz56

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
:gosox1:

Seriously, I'm not surprised at Grilli's success, the White Sox were so desperate for starters for like 5 years that they tossed aside bullpen talent because that wasn't what they needed.

But anyway, I think KW has realized that flaw this year. And if you lined up Grilli versus anyone that pencils into the Sox bullpen this year, including Logan/Sisco, for the first time in several years, I take the inexperienced guy in the Sox bullpen bases on sheer talent alone My God can this bullpen bring the heat. I hope it works for a full season, because on paper, Minny will wish they had the stuff we do

I would hardly call a 4.21 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 25 walks in 62 innings in the park he pitches in all that successful.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Interesting note on Grilli ... I saw a Detroit columnist refer to Grilli as one of a number of "on the cusp" young pitchers in the Tigers organization.

Wow. Being "young" and "on the cusp" at the age of 30 is rather impressive.

honestly, i don't see what is the big deal over whether we trade for minor league talent and they come up and are successful over drafting them and coming up and being successful, it's the same outcome and it's scouting either way.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
honestly, i don't see what is the big deal over whether we trade for minor league talent and they come up and are successful over drafting them and coming up and being successful, it's the same outcome and it's scouting either way.

Not necessarily. It's easier to scout minor leaguers then it is HS kids.

It also has a lot to do with money. The Sox for example, do a crappy job drafting pitching. So they should change there philosophy or not pay $1 mill or more for a first round pick. While pitching is the hardest to scout and no pick is certain, there comes a point where one can tell if a team does a good jobb draftng and developing pitching or a lousy job. Luck is a factor of course, but it's not the only one.

Bob