Trot Nixon signs w/ Cleveland

redandwhite

I wasn't going to start a new thread for this because I probably be ridiculed for having a crush on one of my favorite all time Red Sox, but I couldn't help but laugh at that contract. Trot Nixon will be making $3 million dollars over one year, Gary Matthews Jr will be making $11 million per over five years?

His power is all but diminished due to injury, but the guy still knows how to get on base. Why on earth wouldn't the White Sox go after him at that price, for at the very least insurance for Podsednik? Hell, I'd rather have Nixon leading off with his .374 OBP in an off year where he was hurt than Podsednik.

No?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
His power is all but diminished due to injury, but the guy still knows how to get on base. Why on earth wouldn't the White Sox go after him at that price, for at the very least insurance for Podsednik? Hell, I'd rather have Nixon leading off with his .374 OBP in an off year where he was hurt than Podsednik.

No?

I like Trot, but he's definitely one of the guys I've heard rumors about being enhanced. I know he's had some injuries, but his homer numbers have fallen off of the table in the last 3 years. He'll be good for Cleveland...him and Delucci are much better than Pods.

I'd say mainly because he is great against RHP and horrible against LHP. That is Podsednik and that is Mackowiak. The Sox 4th OFer should be able to hit LHP. It's just too bad the current 4th OFer can't.

Then again, the Sox really don't have a 4th OFer right now.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
I wasn't going to start a new thread for this because I probably be ridiculed for having a crush on one of my favorite all time Red Sox, but I couldn't help but laugh at that contract. Trot Nixon will be making $3 million dollars over one year, Gary Matthews Jr will be making $11 million per over five years?

No?

I'd rather have Trot Nixon in LF than Podsednik, but I'd almost rather have a glove stuck up on a tee-ball stand out there than Podsednik back on the team again. So it's possible I'm biased.

I can see why the Sox wouldn't be overly excited by Nixon. He's terrible versus LHP (.620 OPS over the last 3 years), and I don't think he can really play CF anymore. Say what you will about the Matthews siging, but the ability to play CF effectively is a big difference between GMJr and Nixon. Nixon's career and 3-year OBP is .366, so I don't think last year was an off-year for him getting on-base. And I'm not sure it's likely he would have accepted the role of being "Pods insurance", when he can probably compete for a starting job elsewhere (like Cleveland).

Anyway, yes the Sox would be better with Nixon than Pods, and the Sox probably weren't interested because Nixon can't steal bases which is stupid. It's a good signing by the Indians. I think they'd be my pick to win the division at this point. I do hope Williams brings in another major league OF before the season starts. The Sox only have one in the organization right now, as far as I can tell.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Trot, but he's definitely one of the guys I've heard rumors about being enhanced. I know he's had some injuries, but his homer numbers have fallen off of the table in the last 3 years. He'll be good for Cleveland...him and Delucci are much better than Pods.

The thing with his weight gain is that he got fat, not muscular. Prior to the whole steroid scandal it was a big joke, back in like 2002. His excuse was that he quit dipping/chewing, which is a reasonable excuse considering as I mentioned he wasn't muscular in the least.

This signing is probably the least important of any of the signings Cleveland has made this offseason, but once again, it doesn't exactly hurt them. The Tribe just keeps looking better and better on paper. Now they have a backup in case Choo struggles for part of the year. God this team scares me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've long been a fan of Trot Nixon and at 3 mill (if he's healthy and able to play 130 games) this will be one of the FA bargains of the off-season.

I agree. Great signing by Shapiro and Cleveland, I hope it isn't true. And if it is, I can't imagine why Theo and the gang wouldn't put a flier out allowing Wily Mo to become true trade bait for that closers role.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I agree. Great signing by Shapiro and Cleveland, I hope it isn't true. And if it is, I can't imagine why Theo and the gang wouldn't put a flier out allowing Wily Mo to become true trade bait for that closers role.

It doesnt make sense for Trot not to get more interest that this one year flier from Cle. Boston could have easily fallen into the scenario that you mention here and actually grab a player of substance from someone for that pen. Good signing by Cle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 03:59 AM)
I've long been a fan of Trot Nixon and at 3 mill (if he's healthy and able to play 130 games) this will be one of the FA bargains of the off-season.

Agreed.

But it will be interesting to see what happens next in Cleveland. They have Casey Blake, Shin - Soo Choo and Ryan Garko, and they're all not going to get in the everyday lineup.

Shapiro could probably spin one of those of for some young pitching, or more help in the bullpen (although they have signed a lot of guys for the pen this off-season).