Soriano in Center

Vance Law

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
defense is overrated

Rob Mackowiak would disagree with you ;)

Soriano in CF will be alot like Pods in LF if you ask me. His speed is going to enable him to get to balls nobody else will get to, but his lack of experience is gonna take him on some really bad routes to the ball. I think he is gonna freeze a few times with balls hit right at him, but he will be much better overall at the end of the year. That doesnt mean he is going to be gold glove caliber, but he will probably be able to get by with a little better than average defense.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Rob Mackowiak would disagree with you ;)

Soriano in CF will be alot like Pods in LF if you ask me. His speed is going to enable him to get to balls nobody else will get to, but his lack of experience is gonna take him on some really bad routes to the ball. I think he is gonna freeze a few times with balls hit right at him, but he will be much better overall at the end of the year. That doesnt mean he is going to be gold glove caliber, but he will probably be able to get by with a little better than average defense.

what are the Cubs looking at for their starting OF? Sounds like they'll ink Floyd to a 1-year deal. Are we talking a platoon of Murton/Floyd in LF, Soriano in CF and Jones in RF?

Top 5 LF Assists in 2006:

yearID POS Player Assists

2006 LF Alfonso Soriano 22

2006 LF Craig Monroe 12

2006 LF Melky Cabrera 12

2006 LF Raul Ibanez 11

2006 LF Jason Bay 10

Top 5 LF Assists since 1996 (before that all OF positions were lumped together):

yearID POS Player Assists

2006 LF Alfonso Soriano 22

2000 LF Bobby Higginson 19

1996 LF Bernard Gilkey 18

2001 LF Pat Burrell 18

1997 LF Bernard Gilkey 17

Amazing. Teams must have started running on him during batting practice. You run on a guy when you think you can press him into a bobble, he doesn't know where to throw the ball and/or he has a poor arm. This is an elegant expression of disrespect by the opposition.

Soriano has a hose though and I think teams were pushing him based on his in-experience. You'll see those numbers decrease and I think you'd have seen him turn into one of the better LF'ers in the game (defensively). However, it is going to be quite the learning experience for him out in CF.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Soriano has a hose though and I think teams were pushing him based on his in-experience. You'll see those numbers decrease and I think you'd have seen him turn into one of the better LF'ers in the game (defensively). However, it is going to be quite the learning experience for him out in CF.

That's what I seem to remember. He wouldn't take good routes to the ball, look a little out of position to throw, then use his arm to make up for it. Also, a few balls dropped that a more experienced OF would have caught, the runner would make a break and get gunned out.

One thing Cubs have going for them here is Wrigley isn't the most spacious CF, but the wind and the average OFs around him will hurt.