The best pitched inning in Sox history/Your thoughts

StatManDu

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
El Duque.

Best game. Jack McDowell 1-0 against Seattle (I think it was Randy Johnson pitching for them).

Ok, I'm officially old. I searched and can't find the best pitched game I remember. Never happened? Was I looking at BlackJack through goatee colored Sox shades? Closest thing to what I remember was 2-1 Sox over RJ. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SE...199406250.shtml Guess that makes me a fan.

BlackJack never One-O'd the Big Unit. He had three with the White Sox.

6/29/1990 V Yankees at home over Jim Deshaies

9/13/1991 V Angels at home over Jim Abbott

8/22/1993 V Twins in Minny over Chuck Cary

The game you list is the only one I can find where they went head to head while Jack was on the Sox.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember Burns giving up a single to California in the 1st and then retiring everyone else...it was 11-0...Back to back to back HRS for Fisk, Paciorek, and Luzinski in the 1st Inning off Tommy John

One of the innings from that 1993 game I will nominate for one of the best pitched in franchise history. I think it was the sixth when he got Puckett and Hrbek on strikes and then got Winfield to fly out to a tumbling Lance Johnson.

QUOTE(StatManDu @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, all. I appreciate the kind words and love doing the blog. It's all about Sox history, that's all. I never could really convince the fine folks at WSI that.

If it's all about Sox history, there's no reason to promote your website on every post. There are people on WSI that have contributed a thousand times the amount of information you have over the years....for free and without trying to promote their own agenda.

QUOTE(Brian26 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's all about Sox history, there's no reason to promote your website on every post. There are people on WSI that have contributed a thousand times the amount of information you have over the years....for free and without trying to promote their own agenda.

I have been contributing information on the White Sox as a "day of game" member of their Scoreboard Operations Dept since 1984. Every stat, trivia, note, farm note and/or almanac item flashed during a game was either written, edited or produced by me. Basically, my blog is a collection of the work and research I have done over the years.

Sorry to disappoint you but unlike WSI, there are no money making ventures on my blog. None. I do it as a hobby, for freem in my spare time. As for an agenda ... what could it be? Political? Financial? That's funny. There is none. Again, sorry to let you down. I am just providing Sox fans with a place to learn about the history of the team. That's all. I don't see what the harm of giving people a link to blog that offers items on White Sox history on daily basis. I post many of them on this site anyway.

Edited by StatManDu

QUOTE(Brian26 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)

People here promote all kinds of crap in their signatures/avatars and it is their prerogative. Much of it is muted promotion of sex, tv shows, college teams, etc. and none of it has to do with the White Sox. Until you pointed it out, I did not even notice the link in his signature. I am not familiar with WSI but I do know I enjoy threads started by StatManDu far more than I like enduring one thread after another debating the OF and 5th starter. Please leave the man alone.

QUOTE(Brian26 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)

Many of us quite like StatMan's posts, and in fact he was nominated for best thread-starter in the annual awards for this site. His blog is full of great Sox stuff.

I think we'd all appreciate it if you refrained from jabbing him.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
I remember Burns giving up a single to California in the 1st and then retiring everyone else...it was 11-0...Back to back to back HRS for Fisk, Paciorek, and Luzinski in the 1st Inning off Tommy John

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores...id=198309090CHA

You are correct sir. Don't why I thought it was 12-0 v. KC although I could not find confirmation of when the hit came. The box score shows Burns faced one over the minimum that game and the hit came from the number three hitter.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
People here promote all kinds of crap in their signatures/avatars and it is their prerogative. Much of it is muted promotion of sex, tv shows, college teams, etc. and none of it has to do with the White Sox. Until you pointed it out, I did not even notice the link in his signature. I am not familiar with WSI but I do know I enjoy threads started by StatManDu far more than I like enduring one thread after another debating the OF and 5th starter. Please leave the man alone.

Yeah, its mostly a creative difference between the two sites. We leave stuff much more up to the people here than WSI does. Not that either one of us is any better or worse, its just the way we do things. Personally I have no problems (nor the rest of us who run this place) with a little self-promotion for contributing members. Personally I think it is a cool statement of the capabilities, diversity, and energies of this group. Heck if I have a question about something, even non-baseball related, usually I ask here first.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
You know, I really enjoy the bottom of the ninth in game three in Houston. El Duque, again.

Not as good as his Boston outing, but still, amazing.

Bottom of the 14th (or whatever the last inning was) was also a good time with Buehrle getting the save although I am not sure it qualifies as a best pitched inning in WS history.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)

The Brady Bunch is not crap! Take that back.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
My vote has to go to El Duque as well. If not that then you can look at any of the complete games during the playoffs too. It does seem close minded to assume it had to be from the 05 season but IMO it has to be.

El Duque vs. Boston is so the obvious choice. Nothing else compares.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
El Duque vs. Boston is so the obvious choice. Nothing else compares.

For real. If you don't agree you probably didn't see the inning live as it occurred or you watched it on Tivo after you knew the Sox already won the game.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many of us quite like StatMan's posts, and in fact he was nominated for best thread-starter in the annual awards for this site.

That's an interesting commentary on this site if he was nominated for best thread-starter. He just started posting here a little over a month ago. Wow.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People here promote all kinds of crap in their signatures/avatars and it is their prerogative.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm talking about WSI.