<3 Chicago Police: Brutal

Gregory Pratt

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/national/MI42498/

An off-duty police officer in street clothes was caught on video by a bar surveillance camera beating up a female bartender half his size, authorities said.

Anthony Abbate, a 12-year veteran of the Chicago force, was charged with aggravated battery and placed on leave pending an internal investigation in the attack Feb. 19 as several bystanders watched, department spokeswoman Monique Bond said Wednesday. She said Abbate is expected to be fired.

The video from Jessie's Short Stop Inn Tavern, shown on television around the nation, shows the 250-pound Abbate shouting at the 115-pound bartender, then walking behind the bar and punching, kicking and throwing her to the ground.

The woman, whose name authorities haven't released, suffered bruises to her head, neck, back and lower body. Her attorney, Terry Ekl, did not immediately return a call Wednesday. He told WFLD-TV that the attack began after the bartender refused to serve Abbate.

Prosecutors say the bartender tried to stop him from attacking another patron. Abbate chased the patron behind the bar, at one point wielding a chair, according to Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Abbate, 38, was arrested Tuesday night at his home. Bond said authorities were notified of the incident on Feb. 21 but were unable to locate Abbate until mid-March.

He was held on $70,000 bond Wednesday. Abbate's lawyer, William Fahey, did not return calls seeking comment. He told the Chicago Tribune that his client had completed a substance abuse treatment program and had never been disciplined since joining the police department in 1994.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)

Well that asshole needs a lot more than to be fired. He needs to be prosecuted for Agg Bat.

But I take issue with the statement that this is why people don't trust the police. Just like we all try (to varying extents) not to judge someone based on race, religion of other things, I think its small-minded if people see some jerk like this and assume all the cops are untrustworthy. Chicago has something like 13,000 sworn officers. Even if only 5% are scumbags, that's 650 scumbags in uniform out there ready to do something like this. But I can tell you from experience that if you run into 10 cops on the street, 9 of them are likely to be more than upstanding.

Chicago as a department in particular does have some serious systemic issues, though. They need real leadership, which they haven't had with the last couple Supers. And guys like this need to be made examples of. Fire him, and then prosecute him for as much as you can. Throw in the side charges too. Bury him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
Well that asshole needs a lot more than to be fired. He needs to be prosecuted for Agg Bat.

But I take issue with the statement that this is why people don't trust the police. Just like we all try (to varying extents) not to judge someone based on race, religion of other things, I think its small-minded if people see some jerk like this and assume all the cops are untrustworthy. Chicago has something like 13,000 sworn officers. Even if only 5% are scumbags, that's 650 scumbags in uniform out there ready to do something like this. But I can tell you from experience that if you run into 10 cops on the street, 9 of them are likely to be more than upstanding.

Chicago as a department in particular does have some serious systemic issues, though. They need real leadership, which they haven't had with the last couple Supers. And guys like this need to be made examples of. Fire him, and then prosecute him for as much as you can. Throw in the side charges too. Bury him.

I hope he gets some jail time and every inmate knows he is a cop. This POS deserves the beat down!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
I hope he gets some jail time and every inmate knows he is a cop. This POS deserves the beat down!!

Oh they'll know he's a cop. And I agree. I have no patience for cops who abuse their power, especially in a violent way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
But I take issue with the statement that this is why people don't trust the police.

Let me tie together two reoccurring themes here. The Church should not speak out against child abuse and other moral issues until they get their house in order. Until then, they are hypocrites.

So why aren't those posters demanding that police stop arresting people for crimes until they get their house in order. Doesn't this make the police hypocrites?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
Let me tie together two reoccurring themes here. The Church should not speak out against child abuse and other moral issues until they get their house in order. Until then, they are hypocrites.

So why aren't those posters demanding that police stop arresting people for crimes until they get their house in order. Doesn't this make the police hypocrites?

I don't know who said those things, but, I think the Church needs to keep doing its job AND get its house in order. Just like the police should.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
I don't know who said those things, but, I think the Church needs to keep doing its job AND get its house in order. Just like the police should.

The most recent examples are here

From LCR

And I believe it was the Bible that told people to take the timber out of their eye before going after the splinter in another's. Good to see Holy Mother Church learning that lesson well.

So when the cops stop committing crimes, then they can start arresting people, get that timber out of their eye and all. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
The most recent examples are here

From LCR

So when the cops stop committing crimes, then they can start arresting people, get that timber out of their eye and all. ;)

Here is another parallel to consider.

Cases where police abuse their authority and commit crimes while on duty, perhaps, should not be investigated by their own departments. Maybe another agency needs to do that. Similar with priests and abuse cases, the church shouldn't handle the investigations - the police should. Just a thought, and it might solve some problems in both instances.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
Here is another parallel to consider.

Cases where police abuse their authority and commit crimes while on duty, perhaps, should not be investigated by their own departments. Maybe another agency needs to do that. Similar with priests and abuse cases, the church shouldn't handle the investigations - the police should. Just a thought, and it might solve some problems in both instances.

Agreed wholeheartedly

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm not a violent person but when I saw the video I wanted to beat this guy's face in with a tire iron.

Which is a very common reaction. Violence causes more violence.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm not a violent person but when I saw the video I wanted to beat this guy's face in with a tire iron.

He deserves a brutal beat down. I'm not even sure someone like this can be rehabilitated. To violently punch and kick a women like that is beyond my comprehension. I hate that all he can get is aggravated battery. If he beat a man like that aggravated battery is fine, but to beat a defenseless woman deserves more.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
He deserves a brutal beat down. I'm not even sure someone like this can be rehabilitated. To violently punch and kick a women like that is beyond my comprehension. I hate that all he can get is aggravated battery. If he beat a man like that aggravated battery is fine, but to beat a defenseless woman deserves more.

Should be no different, no matter who this happens too. Not all men are 6'5" and capable of defending themselves any better than this woman.

And he's getting more than agg battery, thats merely the charge, he's going to lose his job, everyone he knows will know what he did, he will lose his reputation to his loved ones, and perhaps lose many loved ones in the process. A night of being a drunk tard, and this is his reward, which he will live with for the rest of his life.

The good news is the woman wasn't seriously injured...but the price this guy will end up paying in the end reaches much farther than agg battery charges levied against him.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

That's why I said aggravated battery. It would be simple battery, except that it was particularly brutal, and he's a cop. Those are two possible circumstances of aggravation.

You could also pile on other charges probably, depending on the details of what happened, and try to stack the sentences consecutively, if you really wanted to nail the guy.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

I beg to differ, NorthSide.

This is why poor people, people in "the ghetto," cynical people, College Liberals -- this is why people don't trust the police department, because they see policemen like this and figure, "That's what a lot of them are like."

I don't hate the PD but I don't necessarily care for it as it's run or stands. I know a lot of sleazy, crooked cops and it's hard to have faith in a system with men that I know who suck.

Let's not keep this to the police, this is Chicago. If you trust ANYBODY in power, such as the police, detectives, and politicians....that's your problem. It's a wonderful city and beautiful on the surface, but the corruption is at a point where I doubt you could ever fix it.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Should be no different, no matter who this happens too. Not all men are 6'5" and capable of defending themselves any better than this woman.

And he's getting more than agg battery, thats merely the charge, he's going to lose his job, everyone he knows will know what he did, he will lose his reputation to his loved ones, and perhaps lose many loved ones in the process. A night of being a drunk tard, and this is his reward, which he will live with for the rest of his life.

The good news is the woman wasn't seriously injured...but the price this guy will end up paying in the end reaches much farther than agg battery charges levied against him.

Sure, by law, that's all he gets. But I agree with the sentiment that it feels like he deserves more because of beating up a defenseless woman, since, although not actually written, it's basically recognized as common knowledge that as a man, you don't beat up on women. He was about a foot taller and 150 pounds heavier, so there's probably some luck involved with her not getting more seriously injuring, especially after seeing the tape. And I never consider being drunk an excuse (not saying you do either).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
Sure, by law, that's all he gets. But I agree with the sentiment that it feels like he deserves more because of beating up a defenseless woman, since, although not actually written, it's basically recognized as common knowledge that as a man, you don't beat up on women. He was about a foot taller and 150 pounds heavier, so there's probably some luck involved with her not getting more seriously injuring, especially after seeing the tape. And I never consider being drunk an excuse (not saying you do either).

That's why its aggravated battery, not simple battery. That's what aggravated means. Special circumstances of extremity - the overmatched brutality, and the fact that he is a cop. If neither were true (if it were some dude in a bar beating up some other dude), then it would be simple battery.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
That's why its aggravated battery, not simple battery. That's what aggravated means. Special circumstances of extremity - the overmatched brutality, and the fact that he is a cop. If neither were true (if it were some dude in a bar beating up some other dude), then it would be simple battery.

Would that have been the case without the video considering she only suffered bumps and bruises?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
Would that have been the case without the video considering she only suffered bumps and bruises?

Who knows. The option would still have been there of course, but maybe if its not out there on TV for all to see (and there would also be far less evidence), the prosecutor aims lower. That's part of the process. But since he's a cop, and its male on female, assuming there were willing witnesses, agg bat could still have been the charge.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, after looking at the whole story and talking to someone I know who is a cop, it isn't as bad as you think, the media just makes it look worse. He barely beat her, and didn't cause any serious damage. Basically, it was a drunk person attacking a girl, causing little damage. If it wasn't a cop but just some random drunk, I am sure that this wouldn't be a big deal to the media. Do I think he should be fired, probably, as he is a police officer and shouldn't be getting drunk and starting fights. But he is going to get away without getting any charges. They first charged him w/ battery and aggravated battery, but they have dropped the battery charge, and no way he gets convicted of aggravated battery. For those of you who don't know, aggravated battery is where you brutally hurt someone, such as breaking a bone, or causing a wound that needs 25-30 some stitches, whereas regular battery is just basically punching someone, and causing a bruise.

Also, what makes this comical is that her boyfriend beat the crap out of her the week after this fight with the cop, breaking her hip, and getting charged with only a misdemeanor. Now, how is it fair that a no-good beats the crap out of her girlfriend and gets charged with a less serious crime then a drunk who barely hurt the girl? Also, how come the media makes no big deal out of her scumbag boyfriend?

Again, this is a case of the media making the police look like the bad guys... Even though that this cop is a prick...