When the Trib's Sox beat writer needs data, he...

NorthSideSox72

So, Mark Gonzales, the Trib's beat writer for the Sox, apparently misquoted a statistic in a column about Buehrle's no-hitter, saying he got a WS victory in 2005 that he did not. Not a huge deal, it happens (though it seems to happen to Mark a lot). But here is the kicker. In a column today in the Trib, someone calls him on it, and he says that he and Mark L. from Whitesoxinteractive.com apologize for the mistake.

So, let me get this straight. The Trib's beat writer needs to go to a message board to get stats and data? Either I'm missing something here, or Mark should be embarrassed. Anyone here know of any good reason why this should have happened?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm guessing that's Mark Liptak, who worked in sports (tv?) in Idaho.

And its great that there are people like him on WSI and Soxtalk with that kind of knowledge.

But why does Gonzales need to go to them? That's the part that is appalling to me. I mean, that data isn't some buried secret - its easy to find if you know baseball resources, which one would think should be his job.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
So, Mark Gonzales, the Trib's beat writer for the Sox, apparently misquoted a statistic in a column about Buehrle's no-hitter, saying he got a WS victory in 2005 that he did not. Not a huge deal, it happens (though it seems to happen to Mark a lot). But here is the kicker. In a column today in the Trib, someone calls him on it, and he says that he and Mark L. from Whitesoxinteractive.com apologize for the mistake.

So, let me get this straight. The Trib's beat writer needs to go to a message board to get stats and data? Either I'm missing something here, or Mark should be embarrassed. Anyone here know of any good reason why this should have happened?

I remember reading the article and he quoted the WSI guy. It was something like "so and so from WSI, says Buehrle is the only pitcher to have won an allstar game, won a world series game, saved a world series game and pitch a nohitter.

Found it

Mark Liptak of White Sox Interactive pointed out Buehrle has the distinction of starting and winning an All-Star Game in 2005, earning a victory and a save in a World Series that season and throwing a no-hitter.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
I remember reading the article and he quoted the WSI guy. It was something like "so and so from WSI, says Buehrle is the only pitcher to have won an allstar game, won a world series game, saved a world series game and pitch a nohitter.

Found it

Mark Liptak of White Sox Interactive pointed out Buehrle has the distinction of starting and winning an All-Star Game in 2005, earning a victory and a save in a World Series that season and throwing a no-hitter.

Well I'm glad he cited Mark L, and didn't try to take credit. I didn't see that article. Still seems a bit lame to me, but not as bad as it seemed at first.