And once again we have no defined closer

Cali

From CS.com

MINNEAPOLIS—A day after Billy Koch served up a game-winning homer to Minnesota's Jacque Jones, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper didn't see the need for a sit-down with him.

"What do I need to tell him?" Cooper asked. "Get the fastball down? He knows it. I know it. He knows I know it. Today's a new day, and relievers have to be resilient."

Resilient enough to realize that their roles can change.

Koch will remain a key figure in the Sox's efforts to preserve late-inning leads. He might even get a save opportunity this weekend against the Cubs.

But the Sox also are prepared to use Damaso Marte and Tom Gordon in the ninth inning, as they have from time to time this season.

"Billy's ego isn't too big to where he has to close all the games," Cooper said. "The bottom line is, we'll be calling on those guys in different spots at different times."

Marte has saved four games but none since May 10. Gordon saved the Sox's 4-2 victory over Boston on June 16 after Koch had worked the previous three games.

"Everybody has the same role," Cooper said. "When they get in, they try to get people out. I've never been into: Who's this? Who's that? It's [only] important to have an idea of when you're going to be pitching. Then try to get them out."

Koch's velocity is still down about 5 m.p.h. from last season, when he converted 44-of-50 save opportunities for Oakland and won 11 games.

Many believe the A's wore down Koch last season, when he appeared in 84 games and pitched 932/3 innings, both highs among American League relievers.

It didn't help that Koch averaged a career-high 17 pitches per inning, second to Anaheim's Troy Percival among those who saved at least 40 games.

Before giving up the home run to Jones on Wednesday on a belt-high fastball, Koch had posted a 1.89 ERA over his previous 20 appearances. So it's not like he has been woefully ineffective.

"It's just one game," he said Wednesday night. "I'm not concerned."

It's just one game? Has he been watching himself this year?

A 4.50 ERA doesn't happen in one game because of one homer. He's gotta be the stupidest f***er on the team if he doesn't realize that it isn't just one game, but rather about 5-10 MPH off his fastball that is doing this.

It's just one game?  Has he been watching himself this year? 

A 4.50 ERA doesn't happen in one game because of one homer.  He's gotta be the stupidest f***er on the team if he doesn't realize that it isn't just one game, but rather about 5-10 MPH off his fastball that is doing this.

You should actually read what was posted....

Before giving up the home run to Jones on Wednesday on a belt-high fastball, Koch had posted a 1.89 ERA over his previous 20 appearances. So it's not like he has been woefully ineffective.

A 4.50 ERA doesn't happen in one game because of one homer.  He's gotta be the stupidest f***er on the team if he doesn't realize that it isn't just one game, but rather about 5-10 MPH off his fastball that is doing this.

I'm not necessarily talking about that.

I'm talking more or less about how his fastball was 91 on the FSN gun for Minnesota. Koch can supposedly hit 97, and in fact, I've seen him hit 97....in and Oakland uniform. And this gun is not off....if anything, it is high, because I believe I saw Flash hit 98 once.

And one of his last 20 appearance was a save against the Twins....WHERE HE WENT 1/3 OF AN INNING.

I might not be as mad if he were doing this while he was hitting 95, 96, or 97. He's hitting 89, 90, and 91, every once in a while getting 92 and 93. He is either messing around with a changeup or he flat out can't throw the ball anymore. I don't want this fancy bulls***, I want him to bring the f***ing heat. Throw the ball 97, 98, and keep throwing it. Don't mess around with this breaking ball s***. Do like Billy Wagner and Troy Percival. If you can hit 98 or 99 on the gun, don't f*** around with any other pitch. Hitters have a hard enough time hitting a pitch that hard. Don't make it easy on them.

Koch has been ugly all year, other then a few outings. He's lucky as hell he hasn't gotten torched in some of the other outings he's had.

While FSC radar is not as off as the Cell one (2-4 mph too fast), it's still 1-2 inaccurate.

Garland doesnt throw 96 and Gordon 97...I remember Koch dialing it up to 101 mph while pitching for Toronto and 99 for Oakland...to go from 101 to 93 top velocity is HUGE.

so we go the rest of the season with a closer by committee. ummm how is foulke doing?

Considering Koch, Marte, Gordon, and probably one or two others already have atleast one save, I'd say we've been doing the closer by committee thing for some time now.

Thats why I haven't been near as down on Koch. I am disturbed by his drop in velocity though.

A guy who regularly throws 98-100 doesn't just "lose it" - UNLESS there's a PHYSICAL PROBLEM or a MECHANICAL PROBLEM.

DAMMIT - Cooper needs to figure what the problem is. Look at some old video and change his delivery. I never remember Koch falling off the mound with such fervor as he does now. And if it's not his delivery - then look at his arm's health. That would be the problem.

Gee - it's pretty simple, isn't it?

It said Koch might be "worn down" from all of last years work. A generation ago closers often worked over 100 innings. They also could be expected to go in anytime after the 7th inning to finish a game. These bigger stronger athletes of today seem to lack in stamina.