How to beat the Sox

gosox41

Just take 5 really good ball players, and surround them with 20 guys with average to below average talent, slap a Twins jersey on them and the Sox will find ways to beat themselves.

Of course the other way is to throw any left handed dummy on the mound who can get the ball over the plater and watch the Sox flail away like fools. You don't even need a Santana or Sabbathia. Wait until Ted Lilly gets a hold of us. We'll make him freaking Cy Young in the NL.

Boy do I miss the days when we had that "selfish" player who used to tatoo left handed pitching. What was his name again? The guy Ozzie and KW hated. Plays for the Blue Jays now.

I'm sick and tired of losing in the same fashion. I can handle team wide slumps (though not happy) but I can't stand watching the Sox continually choke against the Twins or suck against lefties.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Just take 5 really good ball players, and surround them with 20 guys with average to below average talent, slap a Twins jersey on them and the Sox will find ways to beat themselves.

Of course the other way is to throw any left handed dummy on the mound who can get the ball over the plater and watch the Sox flail away like fools. You don't even need a Santana or Sabbathia. Wait until Ted Lilly gets a hold of us. We'll make him freaking Cy Young in the NL.

Boy do I miss the days when we had that "selfish" player who used to tatoo left handed pitching. What was his name again? The guy Ozzie and KW hated. Plays for the Blue Jays now.

I'm sick and tired of losing in the same fashion. I can handle team wide slumps (though not happy) but I can't stand watching the Sox continually choke against the Twins or suck against lefties.

Bob

I actually think Frank was a better hitter against RHP than left. Something thats strange but I remember that sticking out for some reason. You can look up his splits on yahoo I think.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
I actually think Frank was a better hitter against RHP than left. Something thats strange but I remember that sticking out for some reason. You can look up his splits on yahoo I think.

Last three years.

.239 versus lefties, .271 versus righties

The loss last night was humiliating. I listen to as many Sox games as possible on XM satelitte radio, but the down side of that is when they are on the road you have to listen to the other teams announcers. I have always hated the Twins and last night their radio folks just reinforced my feelings. They were laughing at the Sox and made comments about Perzynski and Crede being cry babies and the such. Total BS. We need to play better. The bullpen was supposed to be our strength.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
The loss last night was humiliating. I listen to as many Sox games as possible on XM satelitte radio, but the down side of that is when they are on the road you have to listen to the other teams announcers. I have always hated the Twins and last night their radio folks just reinforced my feelings. They were laughing at the Sox and made comments about Perzynski and Crede being cry babies and the such. Total BS. We need to play better. The bullpen was supposed to be our strength.

Yeah and whats up with Sisco and thornton supposed fireballers coming in the game and throwing 91 mph. I thought these were effortless 95 mph guys. They both came in and were throwin 91-92 occasionally touching 93. Thornton I know last year was 94-96 and could touch 97 easily. Sisco I remember being 94-95 with KC and then I seem both come in and light it up at 91, wtf.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Almost every Sox pitcher seems to have lost velocity or not been as fast as advertised.

There are very few things you can point at that reflect directly on a coach, but I think that this trend, which I think we've all seen, reflects directly on either Cooper and his throwing program for these guys or on the Sox's strength and conditioning coach, whoever that is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
There are very few things you can point at that reflect directly on a coach, but I think that this trend, which I think we've all seen, reflects directly on either Cooper and his throwing program for these guys or on the Sox's strength and conditioning coach, whoever that is.

I have thought about this for a while, and I have a theory on it. I think the Sox in an effort to give pitchers a repeatable, controllable, low maintence delivery, make minor mechanical changes to pitchers which take away from some of their velocity. It seems to me to be the trend of Sox pitchers to pretty quickly lose velocity, but in return it seems their walk totals fall, their innings rise, and there really seems to be no-to very little- injury problems. I haven't researched this, but it is has been something I have been mulling in my head over the last couple of years. I would be curious to see both how the numbers work out for pitchers coming to Chicago, and what happens when they leave.

Its a simple formula that I have talked about for a while on this site. Its the Joe Mays pattened 'How crappy pitchers shut down a lift and pull offense"

You throw the first pitch, a fastball low and away.

You then throw the 2nd pitch a fastball low and away. The batter will foul it off.

Then you go fishing. You throw a 58 footer, prefereably into the opposing batters box.

You keep low and away and you will shut this team down. Its sad, because I have seen glimpses of crappy pitchers using this. Now all pitchers are using this against us.

long looping swings + low and away = pwned

Ryan Sweeney and his sexy swing will be back in the minors when Thome comes back. Ozuna/Mackowiak will be kicking balls around in left and looking stupid against pitching. Thome will get walked, and the Dye and Konerko crew will be forced to hit. That has worked out well so far.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Yeah and whats up with Sisco and thornton supposed fireballers coming in the game and throwing 91 mph. I thought these were effortless 95 mph guys. They both came in and were throwin 91-92 occasionally touching 93. Thornton I know last year was 94-96 and could touch 97 easily. Sisco I remember being 94-95 with KC and then I seem both come in and light it up at 91, wtf.

It's the CSN gun. Aardsma, MacDougal, Thornton, and Sisco were all in the 93-96 range last night on the Twins feed, Vazquez and Bonser were in the 90-93 range, Joe Nathan was hitting 95 all night, Rincon about 94, and I saw Masset hit 96.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
No no, you take some SP, any SP from the minors and have them start against the Sox.

I forgot about that.

That's been going on for years. At least 2 GM's have overseen this as well as 3 managers and countless players.

How does this team carry the same characteristics with so much different personnel? Scouting or lack thereof?

Bob