Cinco de Mayo stereotype party

SleepyWhiteSox

Honor Society Party Sparks Outrage

NEWARK, Del. - May 9, 2007 - Some students at the University of Delaware have been outraged by the actions of one of the school's honor societies.

A town hall meeting was held to deal with the controversy.

Students in the honor society Phi Sigma Pi called it a "South of the Border" party. They dressed as gardeners, Latino names on their front and ethnic slurs on the back. When the photos surfaced, many minority students were outraged.

"I was just kind of curious what went through their minds before they did what they did. Did it ever cross their minds that what they were doing might offend somebody?" said Mudhillun Muqaribu.

"These students were just the ones who got caught. Unfortunately, this happens every day," said Jonathan Martinez.

Martinez's family is from Colombia. Martinez and other students packed George Reed Hall on the Delaware campus. A Latino organization and Phi Sigma Pi held a townhall meeting to address the issue.

Lauren Baroski, who attended the party and dressed up, made a public apology.

"I just think of it in that way. I did not mean it to be malicious at all," said Baroski.

She said she wasn't thinking when she engaged in the behavior. She got a standing ovation after the apology and the organization's president accepted it.

"They said they did not do it maliciously. I can't read their mind to know whether they were being honest or not. I just don't think they realized what the repercussions would be," said Jisselle Martinez of the Alliance De La Raza.

"I came here tonight because I care. I did make a mistake, but I do care about what is going on," said Baroski.

The university, after consulting with lawyers, said it would not discipline any of the students who attended the party.

abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=5286453

n11315020_32939835_9448.jpg

n11315020_32939836_9696.jpg

Thoughts? Should they university have taken any actions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple points Nuke, it wasn't a "bunch of people" it was a recognized student group on campus, who I am certain agreed to obey certain University policies. I would be shocked that those policies did not exclude these ethnic slurs.

I agree that we take this stuff too seriously at times and it gets way out of scale, the Imus firing is the most recent example. But I believe the University acted in the appropriate manner with this, A school's honor society should not be encouraging this type of behavior. This is a public school, supported by tax dollars.

There were apologies offered that were accepted, and the University isn't taking any further action. Sounds like it was handled well by everyone.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
This is a non-issue.

Racial slurs usually aren't an issue when they aren't directed towards you, or you agree with them.

QUOTE(NUKE @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:30 AM)
Grow the f*** up already.

Indeed. Those idiots should grow up and learn to be respectful, responsible human beings.

I think that as an educational institution, and hopefully one with rules, regulations, and guidelines that does not condone the use of racial slurs, the university should have done something to reprimand a school-sponsored organization for not only being so blatantly disrespectful with their use of stereotyping and racial slurs, but also for representing the university in such a negative light. What are they learning other than knowing they can keep those stereotypical and disrespectful views with little to no consequence?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
Racial slurs usually aren't an issue when they aren't directed towards you, or you agree with them.

Indeed. Those idiots should grow up and learn to be respectful, responsible human beings.

I think that as an educational institution, and hopefully one with rules, regulations, and guidelines that does not condone the use of racial slurs, the university should have done something to reprimand a school-sponsored organization for not only being so blatantly disrespectful with their use of stereotyping and racial slurs, but also for representing the university in such a negative light. What are they learning other than knowing they can keep those stereotypical and disrespectful views with little to no consequence?

:cheers

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)

Not true at all.

You oughta hear some of the vile stuff that gets tossed around within my unit. My gunner is Mexican and we sling all sorts of stuff his way. ( Beaner, wetback, brown bastard) plus whatever stereotype you can think of. Same goes for me. Im Polish and I REALLY get it from my crew about that and I even throw in a few Polish jokes myself. My driver is Irish and we go to town with him about that. It's all understood, however, that it's all in fun and we all laugh really hard about it, even the person getting the business end of it.

There are people in this world who can take a joke and then there's a bunch of whiny little b****es who go all to pieces when someone tells a joke about them.

QUOTE(NUKE @ May 11, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
Not true at all.

You oughta hear some of the vile stuff that gets tossed around within my unit. My gunner is Mexican and we sling all sorts of stuff his way. ( Beaner, wetback, brown bastard) plus whatever stereotype you can think of. Same goes for me. Im Polish and I REALLY get it from my crew about that and I even throw in a few Polish jokes myself. My driver is Irish and we go to town with him about that. It's all understood, however, that it's all in fun and we all laugh really hard about it, even the person getting the business end of it.

There are people in this world who can take a joke and then there's a bunch of whiny little b****es who go all to pieces when someone tells a joke about them.

So in the military people just have to accept whatever vile insults are thrown their way? No protections? Great place for a racist to live and work. :cheers I wonder if the recruiters walk into a home and say hey beaner come join the army!

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 11, 2007 -> 05:58 AM)
So in the military people just have to accept whatever vile insults are thrown their way? No protections? Great place for a racist to live and work. :cheers I wonder if the recruiters walk into a home and say hey beaner come join the army!

Way to mischaracterize my statement.

Point Im trying to make is there are a bunch of whiny pussies who can't take a joke and there's people who don't get sand in their vagina when someone has a laugh at their expense.

QUOTE(NUKE @ May 11, 2007 -> 06:58 AM)

Point Im trying to make is there are a bunch of whiny pussies who can't take a joke and there's people who don't get sand in their vagina when someone has a laugh at their expense.

There's also a difference between a group of people making a joke and a University-sanctioned organization hosting a party based on racial slurs and stereotypes.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(NUKE @ May 11, 2007 -> 06:58 AM)

Since you can call your buddies racial slurs, then minorities everywhere should put up with it? If a group of officers got together for a party like this, are you telling me all would be ok? This is a public university group, if their best attempt at humor is insulting other people, then they should grow the f*** up.

Are these the same military men who have been whining for over four decades that a couple may have been called baby killers? ;) Talk about being too sensitive. I'll bet these guys will forget about it in a couple days, not decades.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 11, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Since you can call your buddies racial slurs, then minorities everywhere should put up with it? If a group of officers got together for a party like this, are you telling me all would be ok? This is a public university group, if their best attempt at humor is insulting other people, then they should grow the f*** up.

Who said anything about putting up with anything? If someone gets truly butthurt about certain jokes then they don't get told. The only reason people make jokes at other people's expense is because it's funny and people here have thick enough skin to take it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 11, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Are these the same military men who have been whining for over four decades that a couple may have been called baby killers? ;) Talk about being too sensitive. I'll bet these guys will forget about it in a couple days, not decades.

Dude the guys I have out there were born when Reagan was in office. They know as much about Vietnam as their parents and even grandparents told them.

I believe there is a huge difference between joking with friends and a school sponsored group holding a party that at it's core perpetuates a stereotype. Perhaps it would have been better if the dressed up like a lawyer and fired all the Democrats. Then wake up and claim to forget everything. At least it would have been a new stereotype. ;)

Part of the obligation that college has is to prepare students for life in the real world. If these kids were working for Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill and planned this party, they would be out of work in minutes. No corporation could tolerate this, and a University shouldn't either. The response was measured, we didn't see Jesse, Al. or any of the usual suspects, no one was kicked out of the university, and the apology was accepted.

QUOTE(NUKE @ May 11, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
Not true at all.

But I would bet that the people in your unit are much more than just people you work with. These people have probably become family. You walk in a world with these people most of us will never understand. You are there to protect each other and if you haven't yet, you might have to kill for each other. Words probably mean very little when put up against the fact that the same person who just called you a Polish Sausage or whatever has just saved your life.

As for the story this topic is about, I know exactly what I want to say...but would rather not be crucified for being misunderstood and being "racist", but I also have a feeling numerous other people are thinking the same thing.

Does anyone disagree that a school sponsored group should be held to a higher standard than a group of friends getting together? That to me makes all the difference, especially if they are supported in any way by student activity fees.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 12, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Does anyone disagree that a school sponsored group should be held to a higher standard than a group of friends getting together? That to me makes all the difference, especially if they are supported in any way by student activity fees.

It's not as if the school is giving these kids money to throw a racist party. Why hold them to a higher standard? Because they're smart kids and they should know better? Does that it make it more right or more wrong?

I'm in agreement with Nuke here. I just wish minorities would learn to give it back. Society gets along better when we can all laugh at each other. Someone (cough*liberals in academia*cough) created a nation of whiney This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. that are offended at everything.

And as I always point out in these types of discussions, if you look hard enough, you'll find offensive speech in everything. Funny how 90% of successful television sitcoms revolve around making fun of men, showcasing them as morons who couldn't walk straight if it weren't for their wives. Isn't this offensive to every man in the nation? Shouldn't we be boycotting these networks for their offensive speech?

I'm calling my Congressperson.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)
It's not as if the school is giving these kids money to throw a racist party. Why hold them to a higher standard? Because they're smart kids and they should know better? Does that it make it more right or more wrong?

I'm in agreement with Nuke here. I just wish minorities would learn to give it back. Society gets along better when we can all laugh at each other. Someone (cough*liberals in academia*cough) created a nation of whiney pussies that are offended at everything.

And as I always point out in these types of discussions, if you look hard enough, you'll find offensive speech in everything. Funny how 90% of successful television sitcoms revolve around making fun of men, showcasing them as morons who couldn't walk straight if it weren't for their wives. Isn't this offensive to every man in the nation? Shouldn't we be boycotting these networks for their offensive speech?

Very well said!

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)

I'm in agreement with Nuke here. I just wish minorities would learn to give it back. Society gets along better when we can all laugh at each other. Someone (cough*liberals in academia*cough) created a nation of whiney This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. that are offended at everything.

Most schools provide office space and logistical support for most student groups. In some areas the student groups are considered an extension of the University. I can see a difference between friends getting together and having a beer and an officially recognized student group throwing a party. I am certain that every student at that University now feels welcome to join that club, and I am certain that there are some University employees that appreciate their employer allowing them to be the object of ridicule.

I love the world of conservatives you can walk around saying hey you nappy haired ho! Go back to Mexico you wet back ! Back of the bus, monkey. I'm just a stupid pollack! Whoo Whoo we're all getting along because we can insult anyone. You guys know how to party :cheers

:lolhitting