"That's So Gay" Ruling

Texsox

My roommate in college actually said, in a normal conversation with me, "Yeah, my dad Jew-ed him down on the car."

Being Jewish, I did what everyone should probably do...made fun of him. I told him that I got my education for free because I "Jew-ed" the state. And that, from that day forward, I wasn't paying any rent.

Laugh people, that's the only way you are going to get through this crazy life filled with idiots.

(Present company excluded...mostly)

Even if the offended person handles it without complaining that doesn't make it right. I once asked a few of my Mexican-American Scouts why it was the Anglo kids in the Troop that were madder than they were when some kid started calling our guys wet backs and other slurs. They replied if they got upset every time they heard stuff like that they would be walking around mad all the time. The fact that they didn't complain or get upset doesn't mean they were not offended and hurt. It also doesn't mean those comments should be condoned.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 18, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Even if the offended person handles it without complaining that doesn't make it right. I once asked a few of my Mexican-American Scouts why it was the Anglo kids in the Troop that were madder than they were when some kid started calling our guys wet backs and other slurs. They replied if they got upset every time they heard stuff like that they would be walking around mad all the time. The fact that they didn't complain or get upset doesn't mean they were not offended and hurt. It also doesn't mean those comments should be condoned.

Agreed 100%. However, word meanings tend to change. Somehow gay turned into homosexual. Then it turned into stupid. I wonder how that happens. When the word n***** comes up--and I may be wrong--it had one use. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) When I hear people say, "That's gay," I don't take it as an attack to the homosexual community. Though, I'm not homosexual and therefore the word doesn't hold much weight with me in the first place.

Really, the only word in the English language I find offensive is n*****. Perhaps that's due to the history of the word. But then the issue becomes whether or not people need to be oppressed for the word to become offensive. I don't think so. So to end this thought, people should just mind their p's and q's when they're out amongst the public. Do what you do in your own home, but act accordingly and acceptably outside your home.

As one of the most outspoken and fearless writers, Charles Bukowski, once wrote, "Kindness is just about the best you can do."

Edited by BobDylan

To me, the term "gay" isn't even demeaning towards homosexual people in terms of how it is used now, at all. If you use the word "f**", that is when you are trying to be demeaning towards said people IMO, but like YASNY said, "that's gay" is basically the same as that's stupid now, just as "that sucks" has taken a different meaning over the years. One day, people will understand that what's people intent is is FAR more important than the words themselves (although I admit, strangers don't know the intent of other strangers, even if it is not bad intent, which is a big problem as well). However, I agree with the judge in this case for sure.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Just change the spelling of "gay" to "ghey" when you mean "that's stupid".

In other words, turn it into a homophone!

Ouch. :bang

He's here through Thursday, folks. Be sure to tip your waitress. :D