MMA Thread

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
Schaub did a nice job escaping the Vanilla Mudslide, but took a HEAVY shot to the ear/temple and went night-night.

Jon Bones Jones got DQ'd for using the point of the elbow to Matt Hamill's face, but Jones' ankle sweep takedown of Hamill was SICK!

That Kimbo/Alexander match was worthless.

Jones should have only gotten a point taken away and won the match, Hamill's shoulder got messed up before the illegal blows even took place. Also, it was ridiculous the ref didnt stop the fight when Jones was just pummeling away on Hamill, Ive heard that Mazzagatti or whatever is the worse MMA ref and that night he showed it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Schaub got KTFO by Nelson, Nelson gets the 6 figure contract. Kimbo and Alexander danced in circles for 5 minutes, threw a few punches, wrestled around just a little bit, and Kimbo got the decision in a boring match. Mitrione KO-ed big baby(missed the fight). Schoonover lost to McSweeney, he really never had a shot, McSweeney was all over him.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
Schaub did a nice job escaping the Vanilla Mudslide, but took a HEAVY shot to the ear/temple and went night-night.

Jon Bones Jones got DQ'd for using the point of the elbow to Matt Hamill's face, but Jones' ankle sweep takedown of Hamill was SICK!

That Kimbo/Alexander match was worthless.

Yeah the first round sucked, and they were totally gassed in the third, but holy s***, did you guys miss that ridiculously sick belly-to-back suplex Kimbo pulled off on Houston??? My God, I was screaming! That was some serious Kurt Angle pro-wrestling s*** right there.

I never, ever thought I'd become a Kimbo fan, but he's won me over. Houston was supposed to destroy him, yet Kimbo was the one who pushed the pace, plus he hit a nasty suplex, he got the takedowns, he looked to GNP, he took the mount, took the back, tried to sink in chokes... yeah his cardio sucks and he's not a top-level HW by any means, but he's improved a lot already and he comes to fight. He gets my respect for sure, and I do want to see him again. That Kimbo-Alexander fight to me was a lot like Coleman-Shogun 2. Yeah both guys were out of shape and everything, but there was emotion and energy there, and that 2nd round definitely made the fight worth it.

OTOH, the McSweeney-Schoonover fight shouldn't have even been on TV. As a supposed dangerous kickboxer, McSweeney is disgustingly bad, and Schoonover doesn't even come close to being UFC caliber even though he does have heart and a chin. McSweeney should be food for CroCop in his next fight.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
Jones should have only gotten a point taken away and won the match, Hamill's shoulder got messed up before the illegal blows even took place. Also, it was ridiculous the ref didnt stop the fight when Jones was just pummeling away on Hamill, Ive heard that Mazzagatti or whatever is the worse MMA ref and that night he showed it.

The DQ was total bulls***, but the blows were illegal. It's a bulls*** rule, but it's still a rule. Thank the screwy athletic commissions for that, and Rogan was exactly correct when he was talking about why they're illegal. It may sound dumb to believe that the rule exists because of meaningless karate ice-breaking exhibitions and so forth, but there still are all kinds of misconceptions stemming from TMA. For example, one of the reasons pressure points and all that were outlawed way back is because people actually thought we'd be seeing death touches and s*** in the Octagon. It's f***ing ridiculous. I understand why you want to protect the spinal cord and everything, and downward stomps/knees to the heads of downed opponents, but really, what are the differences between a 200+ lb pro fighter landing a downward punch to the head and a soccer kick to the head? What are the differences between the force of an 11-5 elbow with crushing force and a 12-6 one? What are the differences between attacking a pressure point in the wrist and cutting off the supply of blood to the brain via choke? It's dumb as hell.

But anyway, I too thought Bones was going to force the stoppage there, but not all of those shots were getting through and the round was coming to a close, so I understand why the ref let it go on. The doctor probably would have stopped the fight after the round anyway. What really got me was the post-fight interview where Hamill didn't do the right thing and admit he stole the fight. He won on a meaningless minor technicality after getting absolutely dominated in 10-8 fashion and yet he still didn't want to admit Jones got screwed by the AC.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Yeah the first round sucked, and they were totally gassed in the third, but holy s***, did you guys miss that ridiculously sick belly-to-back suplex Kimbo pulled off on Houston??? My God, I was screaming! That was some serious Kurt Angle pro-wrestling s*** right there.

I never, ever thought I'd become a Kimbo fan, but he's won me over. Houston was supposed to destroy him, yet Kimbo was the one who pushed the pace, plus he hit a nasty suplex, he got the takedowns, he looked to GNP, he took the mount, took the back, tried to sink in chokes... yeah his cardio sucks and he's not a top-level HW by any means, but he's improved a lot already and he comes to fight. He gets my respect for sure, and I do want to see him again. That Kimbo-Alexander fight to me was a lot like Coleman-Shogun 2. Yeah both guys were out of shape and everything, but there was emotion and energy there, and that 2nd round definitely made the fight worth it.

OTOH, the McSweeney-Schoonover fight shouldn't have even been on TV. As a supposed dangerous kickboxer, McSweeney is disgustingly bad, and Schoonover doesn't even come close to being UFC caliber even though he does have heart and a chin. McSweeney should be food for CroCop in his next fight.

Yeah his suplex was nice, but he was extremely gassed which bothered me because there really wasnt a whole lot of action to gas him. Kimbo basically stood in the middle of the ring for the first 3 minutes while Alexander went in circles around him, when it got to the point that Kimbo could push the action, he never came through. I kept waiting for him to throw another haymaker everytime he stunned Alexander, and he did stun him a few times in the 2nd and 3rd round, but Kimbo never went after Alexander. To me it was like Kimbo didnt trust his skills vs someone who he knows can kickbox and has a little bit of martial arts ability, so he was hesitant to go in after him. Alexander looked like he was fighting scared, which was kind of funny considering his prefight stomping and screaming.

Kimbo in the UFC is going to be all about the right fight for him, if they ever put him in there against someone who has a big ground game he is going to be f***ed.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
The DQ was total bulls***, but the blows were illegal. It's a bulls*** rule, but it's still a rule.

How was it bulls***? Other than no nut shots, the 12-6 elbow rule is the easiest to follow and know. Yes accidents happen but those werent accidental elbows. Those were just a fighter being stupid and not thinking. Jones deserved to be DQ'd but doesnt matter because he "won" the fight in everyone elses eyes and will still move up the ladder. Hopefully start facing some good competition because in reality, Hamill isnt that good.

Kimbo slamming Houston was fun but Kimbo probably had 20 pounds on him. Alexander fought like a p**** but the sideshow aspect was entertaining.

Overall the event sucked. Good thing there were good college games on to occupy my time.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
How was it bulls***? Other than no nut shots, the 12-6 elbow rule is the easiest to follow and know. Yes accidents happen but those werent accidental elbows. Those were just a fighter being stupid and not thinking. Jones deserved to be DQ'd but doesnt matter because he "won" the fight in everyone elses eyes and will still move up the ladder. Hopefully start facing some good competition because in reality, Hamill isnt that good.

Kimbo slamming Houston was fun but Kimbo probably had 20 pounds on him. Alexander fought like a p**** but the sideshow aspect was entertaining.

Overall the event sucked. Good thing there were good college games on to occupy my time.

It was a bulls*** DQ because the elbows weren't why Hamill couldn't continue. If he had been knocked out by the elbows, then it would of been deserved. He separated his shoulder on a takedown. With that being said, the fight could of been stopped at any time. Hamill was taking an ass whooping.

Suffice it to say, a Kimbo VS. Fedor fight would be very, very watchable.

Henderson signed with Strikeforce, Love Hendo, but wanted him to stay in the UFC, there's better fights for him there in the long run. Oh well, there's a few good fights for him in Strikeforce and with the current UFC business model (and Hendo never broke through as a big draw) this is going to happen with fighters once in awhile.

For the record I have zero interest in a Fedor/Hendo fight, I am big fans of both, but the size difference is to great, I am only interested in seeing Fedor fight HWs

So I was reading an interview with Mousasi asking him about fight Henderson. He'd said he'd do it.

Although the most interesting part of the interview was where he says in his contract that he can only fight when Fedor fights...the f***? Who signs a contract like that?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
So I was reading an interview with Mousasi asking him about fight Henderson. He'd said he'd do it.

Although the most interesting part of the interview was where he says in his contract that he can only fight when Fedor fights...the f***? Who signs a contract like that?

he's a M-1 fighter, those contracts are really odd, it's why people speculate if there's any shot Fedor comes to the UFC it will have to be in 2 more fights when his M-1 contract is up and all the insanity about 50/50 splits on gates etc. can be put aside.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
he's a M-1 fighter, those contracts are really odd, it's why people speculate if there's any shot Fedor comes to the UFC it will have to be in 2 more fights when his M-1 contract is up and all the insanity about 50/50 splits on gates etc. can be put aside.

Vadim actually confirmed all that stuff too, saying that they really did want 50% of profits from events. Their reasoning was that since M-1's TV deals in certain areas of the world (specifically Russia for one) get far greater exposure, the cost was justified. Why would the UFC want to fork over half of their earnings in order to show free events to millions more people who they aren't even planning on visiting in the next few years, and people who, even if they did visit, likely wouldn't be able to support a gate large enough to turn a profit (since the numbers for non-live international PPV events are always down)? And why would they want to tie television deals to a third party that could raise the price to whatever degree it deemed necessary whenever it felt like it? It just goes to show how wrong the anti-Dana/anti-Zuffa crowd is when it comes to why Fedor isn't in the UFC.

Also, and this unrelated, but the UFC keeps on getting hit hard. Carlos Condit is out of his fight vs. Semtex. That completely blows for both entertainment reasons and also for business reasons, because everyone knows Semtex's ground game is suspect, and if the UFC has to resort to a late replacement, they'll be chancing an upset that could remove Daley from the title picture. The Condit fight was great because it was not only a nice match-up, but it was relevant too. Ugh.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Also, and this unrelated, but the UFC keeps on getting hit hard. Carlos Condit is out of his fight vs. Semtex. That completely blows for both entertainment reasons and also for business reasons, because everyone knows Semtex's ground game is suspect, and if the UFC has to resort to a late replacement, they'll be chancing an upset that could remove Daley from the title picture. The Condit fight was great because it was not only a nice match-up, but it was relevant too. Ugh.

yeah, it's one of those cyclical things because they had a run for about 2-3 years where they had basically NO injuries. Hopefully the fighters will come back full strength in the spring and we'll see some great match-ups, but I won't stop getting cards, often times guys know they have a chance to impress and put on shows.

Only saw the last 3 fights but BJ just outclassed Sanchez, a total clinic. It's too bad that there isnt one person in the world at 155 that could offer Penn a tough fight. Maybe his new weight trainers can get him to 170 properly because there's nothing for him at 155.

BJ is the best 155'er ever. I guess you give Maynard the next shot if he beats Diaz, if not him Frankie Edgar I suppose. If Penn is gonna try his hand at 170 again, he's gotta go through a couple of the guys at the top before you even think about giving him a 3rd GSP fight.

The FightMetric stats say that Sanchez landed only 8 strikes in the ENTIRE fight. He was successful 7% of the time, while BJ was successful 70% of the time. Sanchez was also 0 for 27 on attempted takedowns...holy s***.

Mir's also proved he's one of the best at selling fights. Depending on what happens with Lesnar and other dealings, I think you've gotta make Lesnar/Mir III before anything else. I would give Carwin the winner of Cain/Big Nog.

Also, I'd book Sanchez/Florian II as well.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
BJ is the best 155'er ever. I guess you give Maynard the next shot if he beats Diaz, if not him Frankie Edgar I suppose. If Penn is gonna try his hand at 170 again, he's gotta go through a couple of the guys at the top before you even think about giving him a 3rd GSP fight.

The FightMetric stats say that Sanchez landed only 8 strikes in the ENTIRE fight. He was successful 7% of the time, while BJ was successful 70% of the time. Sanchez was also 0 for 27 on attempted takedowns...holy s***.

Mir's also proved he's one of the best at selling fights. Depending on what happens with Lesnar and other dealings, I think you've gotta make Lesnar/Mir III before anything else. I would give Carwin the winner of Cain/Big Nog.

Also, I'd book Sanchez/Florian II as well.

Idonno, I think if Nog wins that fight vs Cain he has to be the number 1 contender, can give Mir a matchup against Carwin to prove he can beat a guy of Lesnar's size.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
Idonno, I think if Nog wins that fight vs Cain he has to be the number 1 contender, can give Mir a matchup against Carwin to prove he can beat a guy of Lesnar's size.

I don't see how beating Cain would boost Big Nog up anymore than he already is. Cain needs to win that fight more than Nog does.

Plus Mir finally getting proper strength & conditioning can only make him better against bigger guys. I'd be confident in his skills against Carwin.