MMA Thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
Jones needs a top5 fight next, if they give him some hack like Griffin Ill be annoyed. I think he needs one fight against very top competition and with a win should be in line for a title belt.

This is exactly what they shouldn't do. I say he's about a year before he's thrown in the top 5 mix. He's impressive yes & he's dominated his fights but you don't wanna throw him into deep waters yet.

1 or 2 more fights against guys who could bring a fight to him.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
This is exactly what they shouldn't do. I say he's about a year before he's thrown in the top 5 mix. He's impressive yes & he's dominated his fights but you don't wanna throw him into deep waters yet.

1 or 2 more fights against guys who could bring a fight to him.

Why not, he has dominated every guy he has faced.... If he was being challenged Id agree but he isn't even being punched anymore it seems. I have a feeling his next matchup will be against a guy like Griffin or Thiago Silva which Id imagine Jones would whoop both of them as well.

Meltzer reported that Dana is saying they're going to keep him (Bones) away from title level guys for another year to get him ready. I'm not sure who they will have him fight, maybe like the loser of Rashad and Rampage. He also reported Vera broke 3 bones in his orbital socket from the Jones elbow.

Edited by SoxFan562004

I say you throw Jones in there against Bader. You see what your 2 best prospects at 205 have to offer. They're young enough that a loss won't hurt either guy IMO.

You wanna build up one of these guys to be a monster so by the time one of them reaches top 5 status, he becomes a draw with casual fans as well as hardcore fans.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
I say you throw Jones in there against Bader. You see what your 2 best prospects at 205 have to offer. They're young enough that a loss won't hurt either guy IMO.

You wanna build up one of these guys to be a monster so by the time one of them reaches top 5 status, he becomes a draw with casual fans as well as hardcore fans.

I think they want to keep them away from each other like velazquez and dos santos in heavyweight. I think one of them should get the winner of the Griffin/Nog fight for sure and if he loses maybe Bader vs Rashad would be another good matchup.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I think they want to keep them away from each other like velazquez and dos santos in heavyweight. I think one of them should get the winner of the Griffin/Nog fight for sure and if he loses maybe Bader vs Rashad would be another good matchup.

I dont think Bader or Jones should get the winner of Griffin/Nog because the winner of Griffin/Nog gains nothing by fighting Jones/Bader at that point.

I think a Bones vs Tito fight would have been perfect if it wasnt for the stupid Liddell/Tito storyline. Jones fights a former but still respectable champ who is a household name. A win there allows Jones to move up into the Rampage/Evans/Forrest part of the pecking order.

The 205 division seems to be the haves and the have nots. Problem is there isnt many people in the middle for Jones and Bader right now. Although them fighting each other makes it easier to rank the two right now so I'd be excited to see that fight.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
I dont think Bader or Jones should get the winner of Griffin/Nog because the winner of Griffin/Nog gains nothing by fighting Jones/Bader at that point.

I think a Bones vs Tito fight would have been perfect if it wasnt for the stupid Liddell/Tito storyline. Jones fights a former but still respectable champ who is a household name. A win there allows Jones to move up into the Rampage/Evans/Forrest part of the pecking order.

The 205 division seems to be the haves and the have nots. Problem is there isnt many people in the middle for Jones and Bader right now. Although them fighting each other makes it easier to rank the two right now so I'd be excited to see that fight.

I agree with Bader, he doesnt have the hype and he hasnt been crushing opponents the way Jones has. Hopefully when Rampage beats Rashad, I think a Bader/Rashad matchup would be good. I really hope they dont matchup Jones with Jardine, that would be depressing and a waste of time.

Edited by GoodAsGould

Looks like Fedor/Werdum is scheduled for June in Strikeforce, I read the MMAweekly.com article and they did not mention whether it's on CBS or Showtime. I had heard Fedor had a CBS only contract, but I also heard CBS is going to really put a lot of stock into the April card's ratings and if they tank they might be done with MMA, so we shall see. I imagine they could get a CBS show in the summer since summer is usually a ratings wasteland and if Strikefoce shows a pulse CBS might be willing to give them another show. From Coker's comments, this is the continuation of his original Strikeforce contract, doesn't seem like an extension has been agreed to yet. The talk of him fighting Yoshida on NYE in Japan seems like a fabricated rumor

Edited by SoxFan562004

Picks for tonight.

GSP-TKO in the 2nd.

Mir - TKO, let's say 2nd. Mir's got the bigger arsenal & I expect Mir to drag Carwin into deep waters in this fight.

Pellegrino by sub.

Fitch by UD - Typical 3 round Fitch domination.

Miller by TKO.

Diaz by sub.

Almeida by UD.

Quick thoughts

I loved how Mir got his ass kicked again. Suicide watch time for him. Carwin and Lesnar is going to be MEGA HUGE. I dont see Mir competing with the likes of Lesnar,Carwin,Cain and JDS. I was hoping Lesnar would get in a Mur blast while on the mic but that didnt happen.

GSP another dominant but boring win. Yes he almost subbed Hardy twice but to be in that dominant position and not hurt Hardy at all is pathetic. GSP is becoming more boring every fight he's in since Serra KOed him.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Quick thoughts

I loved how Mir got his ass kicked again. Suicide watch time for him. Carwin and Lesnar is going to be MEGA HUGE. I dont see Mir competing with the likes of Lesnar,Carwin,Cain and JDS. I was hoping Lesnar would get in a Mur blast while on the mic but that didnt happen.

GSP another dominant but boring win. Yes he almost subbed Hardy twice but to be in that dominant position and not hurt Hardy at all is pathetic. GSP is becoming more boring every fight he's in since Serra KOed him.

GSP = Not boring, Fitch is the boring one. I agree he seems a bit more tentative to wanna stand & trade which shows that he may be a bit suspect on his feet.

With Mir he just won't be able to compete with Lesnar or Carwin it seems. They've shown the key to beat Mir is by pinning him against the cage & going to work. I still think he's #3 in the UFC. I don't think Cain or Dos Santos will be able to do that to him, at least like Lesnar or Carwin can.

Also, How long was Mirgliotta gonna let Mir get hit?

Fitch may be #2 at 170. But he's boring as all f***. I wouldn't give him a shot unless they throw him the winner of Semtex/Kos.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
GSP = Not boring, Fitch is the boring one. I agree he seems a bit more tentative to wanna stand & trade which shows that he may be a bit suspect on his feet.

With Mir he just won't be able to compete with Lesnar or Carwin it seems. They've shown the key to beat Mir is by pinning him against the cage & going to work. I still think he's #3 in the UFC. I don't think Cain or Dos Santos will be able to do that to him, at least like Lesnar or Carwin can.

Also, How long was Mirgliotta gonna let Mir get hit?

Fitch may be #2 at 170. But he's boring as all f***. I wouldn't give him a shot unless they throw him the winner of Semtex/Kos.

Fitch shouldnt be on main card PPVs. He is the most boring fighter in the UFC. I love how Rogan and Goldberg spin it and says he's a "grinder".

GSP isnt on Fitch's level of boring. If it wasnt for BJ's corner stopping the fight, GSP would be on a 4 fight decision streak. Yes he's dominated everyone but he never punishes anyone anymore. I dont want to say he fights scared but he is very cautious, which is why I would be shocked if he ever agreed to fight Anderson. I dont know whats next for GSP at 170 but it better not be Fitch. That fight will suck. Let Koscheck get a crack and maybe Almedia afterwards and then move to 185 if Silva goes to 205. There just isnt anything left at 170 that is remotely interesting at this time.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Florian v. Gomi tonight, new TUF season starts as well.

Really looking forward to the Florian/Gomi match and oddly intrigued by the Big Country/Skyscraper match, just because of their vastly different body types...

TUF should be interesting this year because there's a ton of rumors about something happening to Tito and Franklin coming in to replace him, which Dana and Chuck are denying

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Really looking forward to the Florian/Gomi match and oddly intrigued by the Big Country/Skyscraper match, just because of their vastly different body types...

TUF should be interesting this year because there's a ton of rumors about something happening to Tito and Franklin coming in to replace him, which Dana and Chuck are denying

Not to mention the rumor that they wanna do Liddell/Couture IV at UFC 116 now. Between all that & the new format that they're doing, hopefully it'll be entertaining.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Not to mention the rumor that they wanna do Liddell/Couture IV at UFC 116 now. Between all that & the new format that they're doing, hopefully it'll be entertaining.

there's a ton of rumors about potential fights right now, from the one you mentioned to Liddell/Franklin and also Toney/Randy, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out...

entertaining night of fights tonight, and grizzly broken nose on TUF

If you're the UFC, what do you throw to KenFlo next? Do you give him Maynard & potentially kill of a contender for BJ? Or do you give him a rematch against Diego. But IIRC, Diego was sent back to 170 after the beatdown he got.

There are also murmurs of Nelson/JDS. Either way it was an entertaining night of fights.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
If you're the UFC, what do you throw to KenFlo next? Do you give him Maynard & potentially kill of a contender for BJ? Or do you give him a rematch against Diego. But IIRC, Diego was sent back to 170 after the beatdown he got.

There are also murmurs of Nelson/JDS. Either way it was an entertaining night of fights.

it's an issue that I think the UFC is going to force after the July card and they'll have to do it in 2 and possibly 3 if Anderson beats Maia and then Belfort, basically Anderson, BJ and GSP have no credible contenders anymore. There's always the possibility one of them have an off night or the punchers chance, but there's nobody in the UFC, and few in the world, who would give them legit fights at their weight... personally I would like the UFC to ask them to take a step up and go down a contenders path, with one or two fights against contenders and then a championship fight...

Honestly, there's not a LW in the world I would give a legit shot against BJ right now, I do like Aoki, but I don't see where he would have an advantage against BJ, he has pulled off some slick subs in Japan, but how is he getting BJ down and then BJ is a BJJ black belt so that neutralizes Aoki's strength. GSP at 170, basically same thing, I think the biggest threat to GSP at this point would be a K-1 level striker who focused on TD defense for 6 months, but even then GSP is so good. 205 and HW have plenty of intriguing match-ups for the title and contenders, no matter who wins the next title fights.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)

I would only to make an interesting fight. There is no one at 155 that is within a light year of touching BJ right now. BJ needs to go to 170 just so his talent isnt wasted right now. I wouldnt give him GSP but there are others that would make for some interesting matchups like Fitch or Alves.

But if Penn did go to 170 and Florian or Maynard won the 155 belt, would anyone even accept them as a champ? I really dont think I would.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
I would only to make an interesting fight. There is no one at 155 that is within a light year of touching BJ right now. BJ needs to go to 170 just so his talent isnt wasted right now. I wouldnt give him GSP but there are others that would make for some interesting matchups like Fitch or Alves.

But if Penn did go to 170 and Florian or Maynard won the 155 belt, would anyone even accept them as a champ? I really dont think I would.

yeah, that's the Catch-22 the UFC is in with BJ, GSP and Anderson if he beats Maia and Belfort. HW and 205 have a lot of interesting match-up potential for the belt and contenders.

I can't believe Strikeforce is having the Rogers/Overeem match in May for the belt, first, Overeem hasn't defended it in about three years and then add that Rogers is coming off a loss!!! I don't care if it's against Fedor, someone coming off a loss should not be fighting for a promotions championship, they should have made Overeem/Bigfoot IMO.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)

Nope because everyone would know that if BJ felt like coming back to 155, he could run over either guy for his belt back.