MMA Thread

Earlier today FEG officials confirmed at the DREAM press conference that DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki (23-4) will take on Gilbert Melendez (17-2) for the Strikeforce lightweight title in April. Also announced, was Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz (21-7) (through the partnership Strikeforce and DREAM have) will likely fight for DREAM in May.

DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki revealed last night at the press conference that he will not be wearing his spandex tights against Melendez. Aoki also made it clear that he will defend his DREAM lightweight title against #1 contender Tatsuya Kawajiri down the road.

"I appreciate the offer of a title match, I am genuinely happy," Aoki said. Having always claimed that Japan is at the top of the MMA world, I have no choice but to go compete in the US. I will just step in and walk right out with a submission victory and prove that the DREAM champion is number one in the world. I will restore the glory of Pride's heyday with Dream. I will greet you all with a belt next time."

"Gilbert Melendez is the Strikeforce champion and therefore a world class fighter," Aoki continued. I consider myself a top fighter in the world, so he is a very attractive opponent. I think our fight will leave both Japanese and American fans fully sated. Though Strikeforce rules allow elbow strikes on he feet, it is not a radical change from Pride and DREAM rules. I will be fighting in a cage for the first time, but I watch a lot of fights that take place in the cage and my level of geekery in the realm is peerless among Japanese fighters. Besides, my skillset transceneds the ring/cage brrier and I always have my eyes on the world. Yes, I will have to take off my tights. I think the prospect of being able to see my bare legs is attractive, so I want the fans to come all the way to the US for it."

Nick Diaz was announced that he'd make his long awaited return to DREAM in May. Diaz however, has not fought on Japanese soil, since DREAM 3 where he claims that DREAM did not pay him for his welterweight fight with Katsuya Inoue. Diaz has since defeated the DREAM welterweight champion Marius Zaromskis by technical knock out in round one to capture the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title.

I wonder if the UFC just announced Toney today to counter this? Pretty big move by Strikeforce.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
I wonder if the UFC just announced Toney today to counter this? Pretty big move by Strikeforce.

I enjoy Aoki, but he is a complete unknown to the casual fan, and this had been all but set for about a week.

Along the "counter Strikeforce" line, apparently UFC is considering putting a UFN on the 17th against the CBS show with early rumor of Wand vs. Sexyama as the main event. However, CBS has given Strikeforce the option of moving the show to the 24th if UFC counters, and that's the night of the WEC PPV. I don't expect the WEC PPV do to anything, but it's only hope of doing anything is with more hardcore fans, and that CBS card is free and strong draw for big fans of MMA

Wow, if Strikeforce counters the WEC PPV they might do some serious damage there. Which sucks, because while that Strikeforce show is a very good card, Aldo-Faber is one of the biggest fights in all of MMA right now (in terms of relevance, not necessarily fan interest) and I really want to see that show do well. Hopefully the WEC can at least go beyond the 100K buys that Affliction was doing with Fedor. Maybe the WEC should have planned their PPV outside of California to get the Sacramento fans to buy the show.

Speaking of the WEC, they're going to Calgary this summer. I don't know anything about Calgary other than the legendary Hart Family connection, but I assume that area is overrun with MMA fans just like the rest of Canada appears to be.

BTW here's the UFC's article on Toney:

He’s one of the premier boxers of the last 25 years, a future Hall of Famer who has won world titles in three weight classes while taking on a Who’s Who of the sport, including fellow champions Evander Holyfield, John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Roy Jones Jr., Mike McCallum, Iran Barkley, and Michael Nunn. But there is one more mountain left to climb for James “Lights Out” Toney, and that’s to show if he can defeat the mixed martial arts warriors of the UFC.

So later this year, UFC President Dana White is prepared to give Toney his shot, signing the boxing superstar to a multi-fight contract this week to compete in the UFC.

“A lot of pro boxers have made a lot of noise about how they would do in mixed martial arts, but nobody on the level of a James Toney has been willing to back up his talk,” said White. “He’s a legend whose boxing record speaks for itself, and he’s a guy who I’ve got a lot of respect for. Now he’s got every intention of matching that success in MMA, and I think he’s got the right attitude – let’s see if he can do it.”

Owner of an amazing 72-6-3 (2 no contests) record that includes 44 wins by knockout, 41-year old James Toney is respected throughout the boxing world for his old-school approach to the fight game. For him, that means fighting anyone at anytime, and doing so by emphasizing all aspects of the sweet science.

31-2 as an amateur, Toney soon turned his sights to the pro game in 1988, and in 1991 he won his first world title at middleweight by knocking out unbeaten champion Michael Nunn in the 11th round. After six successful defenses, he moved up to 168 pounds and defeated Iran Barkley for the super middleweight championship in 1993, but he wasn’t done yet. After a stay at light heavyweight, Toney won the cruiserweight world title by defeating Vassiliy Jirov in 2003’s Fight of The Year, and his success continued at heavyweight, where he defeated Evander Holyfield, Dominick Guinn, and Fres Oquendo. In his most recent bout, on September 12, 2009, Toney – a two-time winner of the Boxing Writers Association of America’s Fighter of the Year award - halted Matthew Greer in two rounds.

Current UFC fighters Marcus Davis, Chris Lytle and Alessio Sakara have competed as professional boxers in the past, but with today’s announcement, Toney becomes the most accomplished boxing veteran to ever compete in the Octagon.

An opponent and date for Toney’s UFC debut has not been determined, and will be announced at a later date.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Wow, if Strikeforce counters the WEC PPV they might do some serious damage there. Which sucks, because while that Strikeforce show is a very good card, Aldo-Faber is one of the biggest fights in all of MMA right now (in terms of relevance, not necessarily fan interest) and I really want to see that show do well. Hopefully the WEC can at least go beyond the 100K buys that Affliction was doing with Fedor. Maybe the WEC should have planned their PPV outside of California to get the Sacramento fans to buy the show.

Speaking of the WEC, they're going to Calgary this summer. I don't know anything about Calgary other than the legendary Hart Family connection, but I assume that area is overrun with MMA fans just like the rest of Canada appears to be.

it's kind of up to Zuffa at this point, Strikeforce's original, and still, plan is to run on the 17th, the reason they would go to the 24th is if the UFC runs a UFN against it on the 17th, so basically it would be Zuffa's own decision.

Either way, I just don't see the WEC PPV doing anything. I am a HUGE MMA fan and I just flat out refuse to pay for it and I am really a big fan of Aldo and Faber. It's just, enough is enough when it comes to money. Hopefully a bar will be showing it or one of my friends will get it, but we're already at two houses for the Carwin/Mir card and the BJ/Edgar card.

EDIT/UPDATE: The April 17th card for the UFC is confirmed with Swick/Serra as a co-main event and reports that Sexyama/Wand will NOT be on the card.

LOL UPDATE ON THE EDIT/UPDATE: OK, Serra has an arm injury and that match is not happening, Meltzer makes it seem like the UFC might be pulling back a little on that event, but trying to get it together.

Edited by SoxFan562004

WEC was awesome yet again. The main event was disappointing because Bowles quit, but still, the two rounds of Cruz working him over was well worth it.

I hope Jens is done, but I don't think he is. I think he'll give it another shot next year or something. But he's done for a while.

It didn't look like Mark Dellagrotte helped Torres much. Maybe Miguel needs to keep following Kenny Florian and work his way up to Firas Zahabi in Montreal. Torres looked like he was fighting not to lose, not like him at all. And there really wasn't anything wrong with him before, either. He fights recklessly and leaves himself open at times plus he always goes at his opponents strengths, so it's dangerous for him, but he was beating Bowles in their fight and was close to finishing him. He doesn't need to scrap everything and become a new fighter. BTW Miguel Torres is 0-2 since throwing out the first pitch for Buehrle's perfecto. I guess Buehrle's no-no's f*** over everyone. That said, huge props to Benavidez and Team Alpha Male once again.

People who don't post in this thread suck, but people who do post in this thread are awesome. That's how you tell the difference between people who suck and people who are awesome.

So let's find out who is awesome and who sucks. Here's a series of questions that anyone can answer - hardcore fan or not. You can answer some or all. Hopefully it will give some life to this thread, which is way too important to be buried under a bunch of bulls*** that doesn't even matter anyway.

Who is your favorite fighter?

What's your favorite fight?

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it?

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it?

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go?

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it?

If you had the authority to book a 5-fight PPV card, and if you could book any fighter in the world regardless of promotional affiliation, what card would you make?

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and why?

Let's say you had a time machine. If you could go back in time and collect one legendary fighter who was then in his prime, and then bring that fighter back to today and have him face a current opponent, what fight would you make, and who would you pick to win?

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time?

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA.

If given 12 months of training under a great coach of your choice, how many of Bobby Lashley's current opponents (some nobody, Bob Sapp, Jason Guida, Wes Sims... maybe there's someone else) do you think you would *not* be able to defeat? And keep in mind Jason Guida can't even cut weight without cramping up and quitting, so you might not even have to step into the cage for that one.

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to?

Let's say you're in jail alone with some dude who thinks you're pretty. Which MMA fighter would you most like to have your back? - Edit: I mean like which fighter would you want protecting you. I'm not talking about being mounted here.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
People who don't post in this thread suck, but people who do post in this thread are awesome. That's how you tell the difference between people who suck and people who are awesome.

So let's find out who is awesome and who sucks. Here's a series of questions that anyone can answer - hardcore fan or not. You can answer some or all. Hopefully it will give some life to this thread, which is way too important to be buried under a bunch of bulls*** that doesn't even matter anyway.

Who is your favorite fighter?

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it?

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it?

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go?

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it?

If you had the authority to book a 5-fight PPV card, and if you could book any fighter in the world regardless of promotional affiliation, what card would you make?

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and why?

Let's say you had a time machine. If you could go back in time and collect one legendary fighter who was then in his prime, and then bring that fighter back to today and have him face a current opponent, what fight would you make, and who would you pick to win?

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time?

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA.

If given 12 months of training under a great coach of your choice, how many of Bobby Lashley's current opponents (some nobody, Bob Sapp, Jason Guida, Wes Sims... maybe there's someone else) do you think you would *not* be able to defeat? And keep in mind Jason Guida can't even cut weight without cramping up and quitting, so you might not even have to step into the cage for that one.

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to?

Let's say you're in jail alone with some dude who thinks you're pretty. Which MMA fighter would you most like to have your back? - Edit: I mean like which fighter would you want protecting you. I'm not talking about being mounted here.

Favorite Fighter: BJ Penn

Favorite Fight: Fedor vs Cro Cop

First Fight: The first card I watched was Griffin vs Rampage, that also got me hooked onto the sport.

For Honor: St Pierre, Id hope to knock his ass out lol

For Hatred: I don't really hate any fighter, but I guess would be cool to break Frank Mir's arm

5 Fight Card: Fedor v Lesnar, A. Silva v Machida/Shogun(whoever wins rematch), Jon Jones v Mousassi, Penn v Aldo, and King Mo v Rampage

Rule Change: Reallow kicks/stomping on opponents on ground like Pride rules and legalize the elbows that disqualified Jon Jones his last fight

History Fight: Bas Rutten v Jon Jones Love both fighters and should be a fun fight, pick Rutten to win for experiance.

Best Current Fighter: Has to be Georges St. Pierre, nobody has touched him in that division since a fluke loss and still relatively young.

Fighter from other sport: James Johnson, from all accounts he could be a mma fighter if wasn't in NBA, I think I remember reading

Lashley's Opponents: Don't think I could beat any of those guys, it would at least take more than 12 months of training.

Scared to Fight: Lesnar, dude is a giant and probably has no problem bashing my head in

Fighter have my back: Clay Guida, dude never backs down from anything.

Who is your favorite fighter? Sakuraba

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it? Ultimate Ultimate 1995

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it? Royce vs Severn

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go? Rickson in Japan.

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it? Tito Ortiz via soccer kicks

Fedor-Brock. Vitor-Anderson. Hendo-GSP. BJ-Aoki. Barnett-Mir

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and wh? bring back the 8 man tournament once a year

Let's say you had a time machine. If you could go back in time and collect one legendary fighter who was then in his prime, and then bring that fighter back to today and have him face a current opponent, what fight would you make, and who would you pick to win? Bas Rutten vs Anderson Silva I'd want Bas but Silva might be a little too quick.

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time? Fedor

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA. Ray Lewis

If given 12 months of training under a great coach of your choice, how many of Bobby Lashley's current opponents (some nobody, Bob Sapp, Jason Guida, Wes Sims... maybe there's someone else) do you think you would *not* be able to defeat? And keep in mind Jason Guida can't even cut weight without cramping up and quitting, so you might not even have to step into the cage for that one. All

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to? Wandy

Brock.

I love reading the answers so far. Here's mine.

Who is your favorite fighter? Tough, but probably Wandy

What's your favorite fight? Thinking about it, probably Machida vs. Shogun just because of the controversy. I'm among the few that thought Machida won 3-2, but it was an awesome fight that deserves a sequel, possibly a trilogy, and everybody was talking about it. I love watching Machida and it was so great to see Shogun look truly elite again.

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it? No, rented the first few UFC's at the video store when I could. The UFC was with the other specialty violence stuff and I could only rent it from certain workers that didn't care, like the people who'd let me rent the Shannon Tweed movies and Faces of Death and stuff. Also remember watching some grainy-ass Sakuraba highlights way back when, but I really had no idea what I was watching. Just thought it was cool.

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it? Nick Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go? Dan Severn for being the most badass guy in the world. He'd GNP me pretty easily.

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it? Rampage, and Wandy style.

If you had the authority to book a 5-fight PPV card, and if you could book any fighter in the world regardless of promotional affiliation, what card would you make? Fedor-Anderson @ 215 catchweight; Shogun-Machida 2; Aldo-Faber; Jon Jones-Mousasi (stealing that one); Florian-Kawajiri

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and why? Overhaul the 10-point must system and change the judging criteria, and do it because the current system sucks.

Let's say you had a time machine. If you could go back in time and collect one legendary fighter who was then in his prime, and then bring that fighter back to today and have him face a current opponent, what fight would you make, and who would you pick to win? Kevin Randleman vs. Cain Velasquez, and I'd be rooting for Randleman but I'd probably pick Cain.

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time? GSP

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA. Bo Jackson would have eaten people, but he came way too early.

If given 12 months of training under a great coach of your choice, how many of Bobby Lashley's current opponents (some nobody, Bob Sapp, Jason Guida, Wes Sims... maybe there's someone else) do you think you would *not* be able to defeat? And keep in mind Jason Guida can't even cut weight without cramping up and quitting, so you might not even have to step into the cage for that one. I say Guida now, but he'd probably beat me in reality. I'd be terrified of Bob Sapp. I think after a year of training I could probably take down Wes Sims though.

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to? Jason Miller, because I can't stand that motherf***er and I'd hate to get raped by him.

Let's say you're in jail alone with some dude who thinks you're pretty. Which MMA fighter would you most like to have your back? Wandy.

Favorite Fighter: Dan Henderson

Favorite Fight: Gomi/Diaz

First Fight: First live fight was on the Ultimate Ultimate PPV (The one Severn won) but I had seen the earlier videos before

For Honor: BJ Penn

For Hatred: Chris Leben and I would want to Anderson Silva him!

5 Fight Card: BJ vs. Aoki (Just to shut up BJ haters), A. Silva vs. GSP, Henderson vs. Marquardt, Shogun vs. Machida II, Brock vs. Fedor

Rule Change: give orgs the option to have certain non-title fights go 5 rounds.

History Fight: Keith Hackney in more modern times where the ground game was stressed

Best Current Fighter: Fedor or BJ

Fighter from other sport: hard to tell because getting punched in the face completely changes the game.

Lashley's Opponents: None, all those guys have some skill and are pretty big dudes.

Scared to Fight: Lesnar

Fighter have my back: Lesnar, looks scary!

OK, looks like Vs. wasn't misleading the UFC when they signed the deal, Direct TV and Vs. came to an agreement, if you have Direct TV it should be back today and in time for the UFC on Sunday night, which I'm really looking forward to with Bones vs. Vera

Edited by SoxFan562004

Who is your favorite fighter? BJ Penn or Rampage.

What's your favorite fight? Either Fedor/Cro Cop from '05 or Griffin/Bonnar TUF Finale

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it? I remember seeing a bunch of the early UFC's when I was younger but nothing that ever kept my attention.

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it? Not sure if it was just one fight, I think I just ended up liking MMA as a whole once I started watching full events.

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go? Old school Wandy & if I'm going out I'm gonna go out with a bang.

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it? Lesnar. Head kick or just putting him to sleep.

If you had the authority to book a 5-fight PPV card, and if you could book any fighter in the world regardless of promotional affiliation, what card would you make? Fedor/Brock, Machida/Shogun II, Anderson Silva/Jake Shields, GSP/Nick Diaz or Diaz/Paul Daley, Penn/Aoki.

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and why? I would make scoring changes, not sure how. But I would, maybe just get more competent judges...it seems that judges are totally against giving 10-10 rounds.

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time? IMHO, it could be Penn if he's able to move up to 170 & beat some names, it could be GSP if he's able to move up to 185 & do the same. Maybe Silva, maybe Fedor.

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA. Ray Lewis

If given 12 months of training under a great coach of your choice, how many of Bobby Lashley's current opponents (some nobody, Bob Sapp, Jason Guida, Wes Sims... maybe there's someone else) do you think you would *not* be able to defeat? And keep in mind Jason Guida can't even cut weight without cramping up and quitting, so you might not even have to step into the cage for that one. I figure if I've got the right camp, I can beat all of them.

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to? Lesnar. I mean he does outweigh me by 120 lbs.

Lesnar.

Great idea for getting some life in this thread. Here are my thoughts...

Who is your favorite fighter? Probably Cro Cop or Hendo

What's your favorite fight? Cro Cop v. Wandy or Fedor v. Nog (take your pick)

Do you remember the first fight you ever watched? If so, what was it? Shamrock v. Severn. Didn't really get into it until later in life though.

Do you remember the fight that got you hooked? If so, what was it? Believe it was one of Cro Cop's many highlight reel KO's in PRIDE.

If you could fight any one fighter for honor, who would it be? And how would you want that fight to go? I'd have to say vs Don Frye. Loser shaves his mustache (i'd have to grow a mustache first)

If you could fight and finish any one fighter, presumably out of dislike, who would it be and how would you end it? Lesnar via brutal KO

If you had the authority to book a 5-fight PPV card, and if you could book any fighter in the world regardless of promotional affiliation, what card would you make? Fedor/Lesnar, Mousasi vs. Silva, Gomi vs. Penn, Shogun v. Silva, Overeem V. Fedor

If you could make any one change to today's MMA - be it a rule change, time/rounds adjustment, ring/cage adjustment, judging/scoring change, or anything else - what would it be and why? Use the ring for all events. Change current scoring system to account for damage done from the bottom, submission attempts, etc.

Let's say you had a time machine. If you could go back in time and collect one legendary fighter who was then in his prime, and then bring that fighter back to today and have him face a current opponent, what fight would you make, and who would you pick to win? Tyson V. Lesnar. Toss up.

Which current fighter out there now do you think will be known as the best of this current era in 10 years time? Fedor

Name an athlete from another major non-combat sport that you think could have been a top contender in MMA. Jim Thorpe

I weigh about 170. Even with a great camp I would still get my ass stomped by all of them probably.

Which fighter would you be most scared to face if you had to? Probably brock and the dick tat on his chest.

Aleks Emelianenko. Dude is practically Russian mafia. He probably could take care of himself on the streets.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Aleks Emelianenko. Dude is practically Russian mafia. He probably could take care of himself on the streets.

Great answer. Aleks would fit right in having already done his time in nasty Russian prisons and having all those tats.

From Wikipedia:

In an interview, his brother Fedor confirmed that Aleksander had spent time in a prison for robbery. Aleksander was sentenced to 5 years but was released after 3.5 years.[3]

Emelianenko has claimed that he killed a bear by trapping its head with a fork-like staff and stabbing it in the heart with a knife. This is a traditional, but not common, way of Russian bear hunting.[7

Tattoos

* Right arm: Cathedral with five domes: symbolizes five years of imprisonment.

* Shoulders: Stars: Symbolize a "career criminal" or Vor v Zakone in Russian (English translation: thief in law).

o Shoulders: More recently he has covered up the Stars with Clouds.

* Left shoulder: cobweb: Aleksander did not explain its meaning other than saying that contrary to what has been suggested by some, it does not have anything to do with the Mafiya. In Russian prisons, tattoos using this symbol typically denote drug addiction or robbery

* Chest: The Battle of Kulikovo.

* Left shoulder: Russian script.

* Left forearm: Half cat’s head, half skull: “Homo homini lupus est.” Translated: Man is a wolf to his fellow-man.

* Back: Grim Reaper holding a baby.

* Back: "Gott Mit Uns", meaning “God is with us” in German: for Aleksander, it’s a symbol of revival. This tattoo caused a controversy, since this slogan was written on belt buckles of German soldiers in the Third Reich. For many Russian prisoners the phrase means you are totally opposed to the soviet penal system.[citation needed] This phrase was very popular among prisoners during the 60's and 70's.[citation needed]

* Knees: Stars: symbolize that the owner will never be brought to his knees. These tattoos also stirred up controversy, after a picture published on his website revealed a swastika in the middle.[10]

* Pirate tattoo: stands for article 167 of Russian Criminal Code: “armed robbery”.

* “Fortis fortuna adiuvat” Translated: Fortune favors the bold.

* A name on his lower abs ('Marina'). Later covered by a tribal tattoo.

* A spider web on scalp.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Tomorrow starts 3 UFC shows in 11 days, 2 being on basic cable. There are some real good fights I am looking forward to on these cards and of course could always get a gem in a fight that we weren't expecting... I'd say top 5 from the 3 cards I would go...

Florian vs. Gomi

Jones vs. Vera

JDS vs. GG

Carwin vs. Mir

Fitch vs. Alves

I am looking forward to the GSP vs. Hardy fight, but just think GSP is such a heavy favorite that those 5 are more intriguing to me on paper. Wow, really some good fights from the UFC in 11 days. Looking forward to the Saunders fight to see if he can keep progressing, Kongo vs. Buentello could be a stand-up barn-burner, Struve vs. Nelson is intriguing to me if for no reason but their two completely different body types, and also hoping Guida bounces back on the under-card of the Vs. card and it gets aired!! Also, they have the Abu Dabi card about 10 days after all of this.

I guess all those underwhelming on paper cards due to injuries (although the Rashad/Silva card ended up being entertaining) are being made up for! Not to mention there's a Strikeforce Challengers card (which are usually good) and a Dream card in the middle of all of this!

Yeah MMA is on FIRE these next couple weeks. And after all this Aldo-Faber will be right there around the corner, like a week away or something. It's f***ing nuts.

BTW is anyone picking Vera tonight? I think Bones wrecks him. I'm excited about Buentello-Kongo too, that could get awesome quick, and don't blink for GG-Cigano. There may not be a PPV headerliner-type name on this card, but I personally think it is a LOT more interesting and exciting and relevant than some of the PPV cards the UFC has put on the last 6 months or so.

I feel the same way about that UFN. Florian-Gomi is such an intriguing matchup. I'm a huge Kenny Florian fan, I just love that guy's skill and work ethic, and at the same time I'd love to see Gomi get back into shape and climb the ladder again, and if anyone is going to motivate Gomi it has to be Kenny. I mean if you beat Kenny there's pretty much no argument that you deserve a shot at BJ. And then that Struve-Nelson fight is badass too. Nelson actually looks like he's evolving a bit, and Struve is exciting as hell, another terrific HW prospect. Can't wait for that one.

MMA f***ing rules.

Oh, and then Mir vs. Carwin is gonna have me pumped too. We saw how GG rocked Carwin and almost put him out, and if Carwin is dumb enough to stand in front of Mir instead of using his wrestling to try and Lesnar him, then Carwin really could get cracked. In fact, I think he will, I think he'll lose that fight if he decides to just stand there and bang.

And then the Alves-Fitch thing... I love how these guys have all the confidence in the world now, and they both had their shots at GSP, and now they want to prove they deserve another crack. And I think both of them know whoever wins that fight is the clear #2 in the world, and they both want to kill each other to prove it. That could really be awesome given how much better Alves has gotten since the first fight. But I'm picking Fitch there.