MMA Thread

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Did anyone catch UFC 83 last night?

The last minute of Quarry vs Starnes has to be the funniest moment in MMA history.

Agreed, also one of the worst fights i've ever watched with Starnes pretty much just getting in cardio work.

Franklin & GSP looked very good last night.

First UFC I've missed in awhile. Good to hear that St. Pierre avenge the loss. I read Bisping looked good at 185. He was at a disadvantage at 205, he wasn't cutting any weight so he was fighting bigger guys everytime out.

UFC 84 is good on paper. Machida/Ortiz should be a good fight. Machida has a good resume and barring a miracle it will be Tito's last UFC fight (for awhile anyway). It's his last fight on the contract and he's already saying he's out the door. He still is a major draw and will be a great headliner for one of the smaller groups trying to build (Affliction, Elite XC, IFL, etc...).

Wanderli Silva/Jardine (Sp?)- Huge match for 205. Silva really needs to win this. Jardine has beatin Griffin, who's fighting for the belt after upsetting Shogun, and Liddell. I would imagine he would get the next title shot if he wins this.

Sherk/Penn- This is to unify the LW belt. Sherk is coming off his CA suspension because he pissed hot in his last match. Penn is often mentioned as one of the best P4P fighters in the world. Sherk loves to take down opponents, with BJ's jiu jitsu skills, that might be a bad gameplan.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...9&zoneid=14

I think June 1st is when the Illinois State Athletic Commission can officially sanction MMA events, so i would imagine the October or Nov UFC will be somewhere in Chicago. If they can resign Andre Arlovski, a natural main event would be AA vs. Big Nog for the belt

Bisping looked really good at 185, I would definitely set up his next fight to be against Rich Franklin.

UFC 84, does look good. If Jardine pulls out the victory he'd undoubtedly be the #1 contender at 205.

I see Penn giving Sherk a nice beatdown, Sherk's game is to try and out grapple the man from whenever i've seen him. So hopefully BJ can make quick work of him.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Bisping looked really good at 185, I would definitely set up his next fight to be against Rich Franklin.

UFC 84, does look good. If Jardine pulls out the victory he'd undoubtedly be the #1 contender at 205.

I see Penn giving Sherk a nice beatdown, Sherk's game is to try and out grapple the man from whenever i've seen him. So hopefully BJ can make quick work of him.

I think that too. However, Sherk is uniquely strong for 155 (even with the positive steroid test last fight, he still will be hella strong for 155) and I see that as the one thing that could throw a serious monkey wrench in the plans. Penn has fought, and been successful at 170, so I am leaning heavily towards Penn in this fight.

FWIW Tim Sylvia was released by the UFC with one fight left on his contract and he will be fighting Fedor on a card in Texas (I belive under the Affliction promotion) in July.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
I think that too. However, Sherk is uniquely strong for 155 (even with the positive steroid test last fight, he still will be hella strong for 155) and I see that as the one thing that could throw a serious monkey wrench in the plans. Penn has fought, and been successful at 170, so I am leaning heavily towards Penn in this fight.

FWIW Tim Sylvia was released by the UFC with one fight left on his contract and he will be fighting Fedor on a card in Texas (I belive under the Affliction promotion) in July.

On Penn/Sherk, i'd agree with you but it seems that Sherk's only offense is to wear on you for 5 rounds because his cardio/strength is damn good. Now if it were to wear on you for 2 rounds, and then go for the kill i'd say BJ is in trouble.

I'm glad to see Fedor actually fighting someone of importance, will Sylvia be able to hang with Fedor?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
On Penn/Sherk, i'd agree with you but it seems that Sherk's only offense is to wear on you for 5 rounds because his cardio/strength is damn good. Now if it were to wear on you for 2 rounds, and then go for the kill i'd say BJ is in trouble.

I'm glad to see Fedor actually fighting someone of importance, will Sylvia be able to hang with Fedor?

I won't stand for any Hong Man Choi bashing mister!!!

um... initial reaction is Fedor will roll through him, especially considering how horrible Sylvia looked on the ground against Nog. But Tim is big and skilled so he may give him some problems, but Fedor by vicious ground and pound late in the 1st round.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Did anyone catch UFC 83 last night?

The last minute of Quarry vs Starnes has to be the funniest moment in MMA history.

Quarry was pretty funny with the Rocky IV reference too.

Other than that, I thought the fights were boring as hell. Too many one sided matches.

UFC cuts Kalib Starnes due to UFC 83 antics

by Kevin Iole [kevin-iole] on Apr 21, 2008 at 4:42 pm in - News -

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for homosexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."

Kevin Iole is the national boxing/MMA writer for Yahoo! Sports. This story originally appeared on Yahoo! Sports and is syndicated on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) as part of a content-partnership deal between the two sites.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11489

Liddell out of the June UFC. Link above has a pic of his torn hamstring, it is NASTY. Looking for replacement to fight Evans and Meltzer mentioned they are going to add two more fights to the card. Not much the UFC could do if this card ends up being lame, they initially had Shogun vs. Liddell, then Shogun had knee surgery. Likely they'll put on a solid card, but lack a major name in the main event.

• 4 weeks later...

UFC on Saturday should be good. Sherk v. Penn, Machida v. Ortiz and Wand v. Jardine. Really looking forward to this card.

Next few weeks have a lot of good MMA cards. UFC 84 on Saturday, then Elite-XC on CBS on the 31st, WEC headlined by Faber v. Pulver June 1st on Vs., a quick turnaround for the UFC with 85 on the 7th of June from London.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 19, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
UFC on Saturday should be good. Sherk v. Penn, Machida v. Ortiz and Wand v. Jardine. Really looking forward to this card.

Next few weeks have a lot of good MMA cards. UFC 84 on Saturday, then Elite-XC on CBS on the 31st, WEC headlined by Faber v. Pulver June 1st on Vs., a quick turnaround for the UFC with 85 on the 7th of June from London.

The Faber v Pulver fight should be awesome. Both guys are pretty dynamic, I would give Pulver the edge on his feet, and Faber as the better grappler. Uriah has this knack for getting some unconventional move, that works for a submission. Because of his dynamic fight game, he is hard to get ready for. He is about as natural of a fighter as I have seen in the sport. Pulver will need his experience and his punching power to win this.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11489

Liddell out of the June UFC. Link above has a pic of his torn hamstring, it is NASTY. Looking for replacement to fight Evans and Meltzer mentioned they are going to add two more fights to the card. Not much the UFC could do if this card ends up being lame, they initially had Shogun vs. Liddell, then Shogun had knee surgery. Likely they'll put on a solid card, but lack a major name in the main event.

Holy f***, that hamstring tear is UGLY.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 19, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Holy f***, that hamstring tear is UGLY.

yeah, and there is talk he'll fight in the fall!!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...8&zoneid=14

that's the updated card for 85. They put Hughes on against Alves who is an up and coming fighter in that division. That is not an easy fight for Hughes and all, and I would actually pick Alves. Hughes next fight will likely be against Serra, win or lose for Hughes in this fight, there is still $$ in the Serra fight

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 19, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
yeah, and there is talk he'll fight in the fall!!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...8&zoneid=14

that's the updated card for 85. They put Hughes on against Alves who is an up and coming fighter in that division. That is not an easy fight for Hughes and all, and I would actually pick Alves. Hughes next fight will likely be against Serra, win or lose for Hughes in this fight, there is still $$ in the Serra fight

I'd be lying if I said that the card for UFC 85 excited me, i'll still more than likely watch.

But Saturday's card should be excellent. Predictions anyone?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 19, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
I'd be lying if I said that the card for UFC 85 excited me, i'll still more than likely watch.

But Saturday's card should be excellent. Predictions anyone?

I'll take Penn over Sherk, Machida over Ortiz and look for Wand to put it back together vs Jardine.

I'll go Penn over Sherk 4th round submission and Wand over the Dean of Mean 2nd round TKO (that pick is from the heart, see if it holds).

Toughest call is on Machida vs. Ortiz. Machida is extremely talented, but Tito is a big 205 with quality wrestling and ground game. Machida has beat Franklin and Penn, but both those guys are smaller than Ortiz, although Franklin has fought at 205 before and may in the future. It is going to come down to Machida's takedown defense and ability to standup or get dominant position on the ground. Ultimately I will go with Machida.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 19, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
I've rooted against Tito since his first UFC fight but I really want him to win and give a big FU to Dana White.

In the prick vs. prick contest, I dislike Tito more than I do Dana.

I think they're both assholes, but Tito is a worse one IMO.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 19, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
The Faber v Pulver fight should be awesome. Both guys are pretty dynamic, I would give Pulver the edge on his feet, and Faber as the better grappler. Uriah has this knack for getting some unconventional move, that works for a submission. Because of his dynamic fight game, he is hard to get ready for. He is about as natural of a fighter as I have seen in the sport. Pulver will need his experience and his punching power to win this.

I'm excited for the fight, but Urijah is going to demolish Pulver. He'll work him over quicker than he did Curran. In fact, I think Urijah will finish Jens faster than BJ did. BJ got him 3:12 into the 2nd round, and I don't think Pulver will even get to the 2nd. Urijah is f***ing good.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 20, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I'll go Penn over Sherk 4th round submission and Wand over the Dean of Mean 2nd round TKO (that pick is from the heart, see if it holds).

Toughest call is on Machida vs. Ortiz. Machida is extremely talented, but Tito is a big 205 with quality wrestling and ground game. Machida has beat Franklin and Penn, but both those guys are smaller than Ortiz, although Franklin has fought at 205 before and may in the future. It is going to come down to Machida's takedown defense and ability to standup or get dominant position on the ground. Ultimately I will go with Machida.

I agree with you on Machida over Ortiz, but I think the toughest call has to be BJ vs. Sherk. BJ hasn't gone 5 rounds since his draw vs. Caol Uno in 2003. He's looked a ton better lately, but Pulver and Stevenson aren't Sherk. I don't know who to pick at all in that fight.

I don't think Tito is going to be able to take Machida down. It'll probably go the distance but I don't see Tito being successful on any takedowns more than twice, and I don't think he'll be able to hold Lyoto down very long either. Lyoto should pepper him on his feet and send Tito home to his little baghead (at least I hope anyway).

Wandy vs. Jardine is tough though. I could see Jardine doing the same thing to Wandy that he did to Chuck; just countering his punches, throwing kicks, backing off. But then again I really want Wandy to get a KO. My mind says Jardine because I think he's a totally different fighter after getting KO'd by Houston Alexander and won't look to mix it up close with Wandy, but my heart says Wandy.

Also Sokoudjou returns against Nakamura on that card. Nakamura's a tough guy that can make you look bad, but Soko hopefully will put him to sleep. Goran Reljic, Yoshiyuki Yoshida, and Shane Carwin all debut on that card as well. UFC 84 is going to kick ass.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 20, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I'm excited for the fight, but Urijah is going to demolish Pulver. He'll work him over quicker than he did Curran. In fact, I think Urijah will finish Jens faster than BJ did. BJ got him 3:12 into the 2nd round, and I don't think Pulver will even get to the 2nd. Urijah is f***ing good.

Curran took him to the 2nd round and actually looked pretty decent vs. Faber. I'd hardly consider that working him over.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 20, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
but Pulver and Stevenson aren't Sherk.

Right, Pulver & Stevenson are aware on how to finish a fight. If BJ can avoid getting into a grapple contest with Sherk, it shouldn't be that hard for Penn.