2007 College World Series Thread

chimpy2121

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
Michigan's pitcher, Putnam, had a no hitter through 8 2/3 innings. With 2 outs in the 9th, he gave up a single with a guy on 2nd. Oregon State is now winning 1-0.

Yeah, that's not fair at all. I really hope Michigan wins this one for him.

2nd seeded Rice, Mississippi State, and UC Irvine are already into the College World Series.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
Michigan's pitcher, Putnam, had a no hitter through 8 2/3 innings. With 2 outs in the 9th, he gave up a single with a guy on 2nd. Oregon State is now winning 1-0.

back when putnam was deciding where to go to school...his choice came down to the wire between michigan and vandy....he picked michigan last minute...man if we had been able to nab him.....he was the #3 rated recruit int he country and would have added to a vandy class that had already been ranked the #1 class int he nation

Phew...Fullerton had a gaffe and than got into a serious jam in the 5th, but only gave up 1 run.

However, with the way the Bruins starter is going...it looks like the Titans will have to earn every run they get (the kid going for the Bruins is a freshman lefty with a great arm and there is no doubt he will be a relatively high draft pick two years from now).

Beautiful bunt to advance the leadoff man to 2nd.

I want to point out that both of the guys the Sox drafted are fundementally sound ball player. You flat out can't play for Fullerton unless you can do the little things (bunt....take the extra base when the situation arises and make contact for the most part).

Evan McCarthur is now up (I would have loved to freaking get this guy in the Sox org....he had a down season this year after suffering a hammate injury but the guy is a f***ing STUD). Too bad the Giants got him in the 11th.

f*** Yes...Clark Hardman hits a bomb to tie the game up at 1. In the first half of the inning he showed his hose by gunning it into the plate and holding the runner.

Cubs got a steal in Hardman. I'm biased though but I've seen this guy play a ton of games. Very very good defensively in center, total cannon, great bat control, good speed, has slowly shown more and more power. Again, whether his tools translate to the majors or not, who knows.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
Clark Hardman: "Light tower power" Man did he crush that ball.

Also, the announcer said this is Fullerton's 5th straight year hosting a SUPER regional. That's not fair...

He had a long bomb last week as well (was crushed). That said, some guy on Fresno State hit one of the hardest hit balls I ever saw...luckily the wind took it about 3 feet foul.

Ventura...you take the 57 to the 5 to the 55 to the 405 and you are at UCI. The drive time...about 20-25 minutes without traffic.

Robin must live in Orange County.

God damn this Bruins starter has a f***ing stellar arm. Really good late life to his fastball and he can bring it both in and out.

Based on the announcers, sounds like he was very highly touted out of high school but was recovering from an injury which hurt his draft status at the time.

f***...another leadoff double for the Bruins.

Weird...runners on the corners, 1-1 game, 2 outs and a 2-0 count and the Titans are making a pitching change.

Jorgensen is coming in I think. Come on Adam...battle back and get the out and keep this ball game notted at 1.

Yes...Jorgensen does the job...one pitch, one out and now we head to the bottom half looking to take the lead!!!!

Nice game for Kaplan. He had to really navigate through some high pressure situations.

John Curtis with a leadoff single...and now both Sox position draft picks from Fullerton have hits.

I should point out, Curtis has pretty good speed for a catcher.

MLB should take notes to the way the Titans do things. Yet another perfect bunt laid down. It doesn't matter if you are hitting cleanup or 9th, you better know how to f***ing bunt.

Matt Wallach with an RBI single to score Curtis and it is 2-1 Titans.

Wallach is the son of former Titans legend and LA Dodger Tim Wallach.

Bryan Harris is in. He's a converted 3rd baseman who has a nasty fastball and a very very deceptive delivery (very tough to pick up the ball). Keep an eye on this guy as he had all of the scouts attention at the regional last week down in San Diego (on Sunday the scouts were very quiet..I was sitting behind home right next to a couple of the scouts, Ventura, Nevin and Wallach) and than Harris came in and they all began to chatter.

Exceptional double play turned by the Titans. Hopefully we can get some insurance and than get 3 more outs without giving up another run.

Hardman has yet another hit. Bruins pitchers also set his career high with 12 k's.

f***...Upton with a great AB and eventually got a double after fouling off numerous 3-2 pitches.

1 out now...tying run on 3rd. Come on Fullerton....find a way to hold the lead and clinch tonight.

f*** yes....Harris jams the batter, ball goes to 3rd...McCarthur guns home...out at the plate (Curtis holds on, something i haven't seen a Sox catcher do in YEARS).

Come on...get the final out. No walks.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
That was great job by the third baseman. It was an absolutely perfect throw.

Ya...between that and the double player an inning or so earlier and there has been some awesome d (plus the throw by Hardman a few innings ago and obviously the job by UCLA to get Titan runner at the plate).

Two out walk, now the go ahead run is at 1st and the tying run is at 2nd. Finish this HARRIS!!!

Geeze...the guy up for the Bruins is hitting .778 with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs...and over .400 with runners in scoring position.

Whooooo....to Omaha we go. I think this is our 5th consecutive year in Omaha :cheers

Way to go Titans!!!! f***ing fantastic game too...defense, a little offense and fantastic pitching (Bruins starter was amazing and UCLA should have won today but that is what Fullerton can do...win games that they shouldn't).

I f***ing love the Big West representing....UCI and Fullerton in, plus you have ASU making in and overall the West Coast was very strong in this tourney and there is a good chance one of the teams playing in the World Series will be from the West Coast.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
I f***ing love the Big West representing....UCI and Fullerton in, plus you have ASU making in and overall the West Coast was very strong in this tourney and there is a good chance one of the teams playing in the World Series will be from the West Coast.

If Oregon State wins, it's a lock a west coast team will be in the championship series.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
What a f***in game so far

f***ing garbage, UCI guy leans into the pitch and it grazes his jersey

What a tough way to lose. Titans had enough opportunities though and they couldn't take advantage of it. I'll be pulling for the Anteaters to make some noise and make the big west proud.

friggin ASU sure crapped down their leg yesterday. Not sure why Murphy pulled Flores after the 1st...not really a good decision IMO. Guess we'll see what ASU is made of now. I really thought they'd blow through everybody with the horses at the plate they have...but they seem to be like the Sox a few years back (and now I guess) relying on the long ball.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
Brett Wallace is good at choking. 1st team All-American is 0-12 at the CWS and just grounded into a double play in the 10th with the bases loaded and 1 out.

What a great freaking game that was. Hell of a comeback by the Anteaters. I should have watched the earlier part of the game but the ending was a doosie.