Sox Not Sold on Jimenez at 2nd

Cali

He better not play 3B on a regular basis. He has a weak-ass arm, and that would not be good.

Just f***ing trade him. I personally like Willie at 2B a whole lot more then I do him in CF....he's a much better 2B, and his weak arm(though not weaker then Jimenez's) is better suited for 2B. I think he will become a much better hitter with a ton of playing time, and I'd then see if we can't get a good CFer at the deadline.....a LH hitter who hits for a good average, who just flat out hits the ball hard. I really don't think we need another guy swinging for the fences. We have enough of those guys already.

I just don't know who we could get. A guy that hits like .300-.320 with decent power from the left side would be perfect.

He better not play 3B on a regular basis.  He has a weak-ass arm, and that would not be good.

Just f***ing trade him.  I personally like Willie at 2B a whole lot more then I do him in CF....he's a much better 2B, and his weak arm(though not weaker then Jimenez's) is better suited for 2B.  I think he will become a much better hitter with a ton of playing time, and I'd then see if we can't get a good CFer at the deadline.....a LH hitter who hits for a good average, who just flat out hits the ball hard.  I really don't think we need another guy swinging for the fences.  We have enough of those guys already. 

I just don't know who we could get.  A guy that hits like .300-.320 with decent power from the left side would be perfect.

I hope to see Harris at 2nd tomorrow and AR in center tomorrow and see if we can find a good home for D'Lo, with the gift of a gold watch for today -

and if we can't, keep using him as needed -

one of the great moments in my WS history was at the start of the 9th, the kid who sits a few seats down from me (an MIT student, great guy, Chris if you read this, I love sharing games with you) and I both looked at each other and said "Graffinino at 1st and Jimenez at 3rd?"

Never thought I'd those two playing the corners in my life let alone at the same time -

but it worked! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and everyone, give credit to JM for outmanaging Dusty two days in a row, big time)

Let's see .... Klesko said it in ST, and someone on the Sox agreed with him later, then I have to say there is an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire. That's to say nothing of what we've all seen on the field this year. I'd say it's time to see Aaron Miles.

Seeing him play 3rd base yesterday brought up an idea that, if we bring in a better 2nd baseman either through trade or call up, Jimenez could be a super utility players like Graffy. Having two of them on the bench would be a great way to improve flexibility. However, you still might see Harris playing more 2nd base.

IT was not good to see one of the Sox teammates agree with Ryan Klesko...  But not a surprise either.

As for Jimenez, one Sox player who spoke to the Padres' Ryan Klesko during the series against San Diego two weeks ago told him he agreed with what he had said during spring training.

NO names are mentioned. Unless there's a name attached to whoever supposedly agreed with Klesko, I wouldn't buy into it.

Guest hotsoxchick1
can you post the article here? i cant access it through that link, thanks

here.......

Sox not sold on Jimenez at 2nd

May call up Miles or swing a trade

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format

Search archives

More Headlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With heat on, Wood fiery

Homers keep Sox's ace from earning 12th win

Never a dull moment

Ballpark phone food on hold

For Sox, D'lightful finish

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

June 28, 2003, 10:15 PM CDT

D'Angelo Jimenez figures to return to the White Sox's lineup Sunday. But not as a second baseman.

"I might play Willie [Harris] at second and Jimenez at third," manager Jerry Manuel said. "That's where [Jimenez] got that big hit, right? Give [Joe] Crede a day off against a tough right-hander [Kerry Wood]."

Even though Jimenez produced the game-winning hit Saturday in the Sox's 7-6 victory, there's a strong sentiment in the clubhouse that Jimenez is not the answer at second.

And that talk is fueling speculation that the Sox will either promote Aaron Miles from Triple-A Charlotte or trade for another second baseman if they're contending by the July 31 deadline.

Catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. even played into that before Saturday's game.

After hearing a rumor that the Sox would pursue his brother, Mets second baseman Robbie Alomar, he chatted with Sox general manager Ken Williams, and then joked: "Hey, he's going to trade me for my brother."

The biggest stumbling block in a potential pursuit of Alomar would be his salary: $8 million. But Sox officials know he would cost about $2.65 million over the final two months, assuming the Mets decline to eat any of his contract.

A cheaper alternative is Miles, the 5-foot-6-inch David Eckstein clone who impressed Manuel in spring training by hitting .299.

After driving in five runs Friday, the switch-hitting Miles was batting .319 with eight homers and 28 RBIs for Charlotte.

There are lingering concerns about Miles' hands and his range, but he has committed only four errors in 58 games this season.

Rick Hahn, the Sox's assistant GM, plans to see Miles this week at Charlotte.

As for Jimenez, one Sox player who spoke to the Padres' Ryan Klesko during the series against San Diego two weeks ago told him he agreed with what he had said during spring training.

After Jimenez was critical of the Padres, his old teammate, Klesko, told the San Diego Union-Tribune: "He's the laziest teammate I've ever played with—that's 10 years."

Jimenez, who sometimes appears lethargic, has below-average range. But his mental mistakes, both on the bases and with his glove, are the bigger issue.

"Everybody makes mistakes," he said. "You have to try to get better and better."

His shortcomings were on display earlier this month in consecutive games at Arizona.

He failed to initiate a simple 4-6-3 double play that would have preserved a one-run lead in the eighth inning of a 2-1 losses. A day later his foolish attempt to take an extra base prevented the Sox from bringing the tying run to the plate in an 8-6 loss.

Manuel criticized Jimenez for his lack of awareness Wednesday in Minnesota.

Jimenez was at second with one out in the ninth of a tie game when Brian Daubach hit a soft single to right field. Jimenez held up until the ball fell some 20 feet short of Dustin Mohr, negating any chance to score.

"You have to know where the fielders are, obviously," Manuel said.

Then came Friday's flub. A week after successfully barehanding a flip from Jose Valentin to turn a 6-4-3 double play, Jimenez tried it again. This time he dropped the ball, giving the Cubs first and second with one out in the seventh.

Tom Gordon ended the threat by retiring Sammy Sosa and Moises Alou, but Manuel said the error "really put us in a tough situation. That was basically a tailor-made double-play ball that we botched."

Jimenez hasn't helped his cause by hitting .169 over his last 19 games. His on-base percentage, a healthy .400 on May 12, has fallen to .329.

Manuel defended Jimenez to a degree before Saturday's game.

"The mistakes are things we don't like," he said. "But for the most part, he has done a decent job."

Manuel also said that Jimenez has performed in the field. But Manuel said he misses Ray Durham's range, which is part of why Harris will get the call Sunday.

Williams, who traded two minor-leaguers for Jimenez almost a year ago, said: "We still remain confident in his talent, although there have been lapses in the field. But it's not just him."

Williams certainly didn't dismiss the possibility of a trade.

"Let me put it to you this way, someone asked whether we were contemplating moving some of our big guns, if we were fielding calls," he said. "My reply was we haven't entertained any of that because we are still out trying to make a move to bring another impact guy in here to help our cause."

Another possibility is Florida second baseman Luis Castillo, whom the Marlins are believed to be willing to trade.

Guest hotsoxchick1

NO names are mentioned.  Unless there's a name attached to whoever supposedly agreed with Klesko, I wouldn't buy into it.

think about who played with kelsko before and youll find your answer....... ;) that didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out...........

Guest hotsoxchick1
Only guy I can think of that played with Klesko is Graffanino.  Does that sound right?

there is one more.. but your close........ ;)

NO names are mentioned.  Unless there's a name attached to whoever supposedly agreed with Klesko, I wouldn't buy into it.

think about who played with kelsko before and youll find your answer....... ;) that didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out...........

Where does it say that the person who spoke to Klesko used to be a teammate of his? :huh:

You are assuming a lot when you assume it's someone he played with in the past.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Where does it say that the person who spoke to Klesko used to be a teammate of his? :huh:

im not assuming anything.. if you were watching the game you would know who the hell it is... they were talking quite a lot during the pre game.......... ;)

im not assuming anything.. if you were watching the game you would know who the hell it is... they were talking quite a lot during the pre game.......... ;)

Save me the time of looking back through the careers of the Sox players...who was it?

Guest hotsoxchick1

Save me the time of looking back through the careers of the Sox players...who was it?

search it for yourself baby.. why should i help you out..... you tried to call me on this one......now go find the answer.........and remember i said a former teamate.. could be minor league or major league... but they did serve time together... happy hunting or should i say researching............ :D :lol:

you tried to call me on this one

Uh, I didn't "try to call you" on anything. And anyway, it doesn't matter. Jimenez being in or out of the lineup is going to depend on him. If he gets his head out of his ass, he'll be in. If he doesn't, he'll be trade bait. Either way, the Sox will do what's best for the team.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Where does it say that the person who spoke to Klesko used to be a teammate of his? 

this is not calling out someone to question their views??? lol... lazy ass go look it up, or shut up and dont question my statement... i already know the answer......... :D

Where does it say that the person who spoke to Klesko used to be a teammate of his? 

this is not calling out someone to question their views??? lol... lazy ass go look it up, or shut up and dont question my statement... i already know the answer......... :D

No...calling you out would have been saying "you're a f***ing liar". I merely questioned your source of information. You hadn't said you were at the game at that point, so for all I knew you could have been talking out of your ass again.

But anyway, the only person that's played with Klesko at the major league level has been Tony G back in Atlanta in the late 90's. If it's him, it would make sense for him to feel that way (even if it's not true). He's taking PT away from Tony, and I'm sure there's a bit of jealousy involved there.

Either way, like I said, it's Jimenez's job to lose, and if he keeps up what he's been doing lately, he just might do so.

Guest hotsoxchick1

saying someone is assuming is just like saying liar.........kiss my ass clujo..........you tried to call me on something and now your too lazy to prove your point.... :finger you.........either prove me wrong or shut the f*** up with your assumptions........and btw i never said it was at the major level either all i said is it was a former teamate..........didnt specify where the team was...............and further more i never said i was at the game this time.. all i said is if you were watching the pre game... read for comprehension today ok...... or leave me alone and dont question me.......thanks............... ;)