The reason for our lack of a VSL team

Cerbaho-WG

Q: Luke from Des Moines asks:

Hey Chris, love the chats. Do you think the White Sox will sign any high-profile players this year?--I hear they want to have a bigger international presence. (By the way, at my game last Sunday, D-Ray's prospect Jeremy Hellickson's dad was the home plate ump.)

A: Chris Kline: Haven't really heard them connected to anyone of significance, to be honest. If they want to have more of a presence in Latin America, that's cool, but I've heard that people in Venezuela weren't exactly fine with what happened in La Guaira last winter. Now big league bench coach Razor Shines was fired from there and players like Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, etc., left after Shines was gone. I know Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora hold a lot of weight; but I don't think Chicago are going to be major players this year, anyway. I think the Cubs actually have more of a stronghold in VZ, no matter how much that hurts The Good Guys.

Oops. Talent's better in the Dominican anyways.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Q: Luke from Des Moines asks:

Hey Chris, love the chats. Do you think the White Sox will sign any high-profile players this year?--I hear they want to have a bigger international presence. (By the way, at my game last Sunday, D-Ray's prospect Jeremy Hellickson's dad was the home plate ump.)

A: Chris Kline: Haven't really heard them connected to anyone of significance, to be honest. If they want to have more of a presence in Latin America, that's cool, but I've heard that people in Venezuela weren't exactly fine with what happened in La Guaira last winter. Now big league bench coach Razor Shines was fired from there and players like Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, etc., left after Shines was gone. I know Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora hold a lot of weight; but I don't think Chicago are going to be major players this year, anyway. I think the Cubs actually have more of a stronghold in VZ, no matter how much that hurts The Good Guys.

Oops. Talent's better in the Dominican anyways.

It's almost as if the organization devises new ways to limit channels for acquiring talent.

Well, good luck competing with the Mets and the four million dollars spent updating their Dominican Republic baseball academy. Or working around the Dodgers, Anaheim, Yankees.

They still own and operate a baseball academy there and have a couple of scouts who go there frequently. Please don't take everything Baseball America says as the be all end all.

If you notice, Kline uses terms like "I've heard" and "I think" etc. Hardly set in stone facts.

Again, take a look at Bristol's roster, there are about a dozen or more guys the White Sox have signed out of the Dominican and Venezuela. Whether it's the right ones or not is another story.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's almost as if the organization devises new ways to limit channels for acquiring talent.

Well, good luck competing with the Mets and the four million dollars spent updating their Dominican Republic baseball academy. Or working around the Dodgers, Anaheim, Yankees.

I would suggest you arrange for an interview with the White Sox scouting personnel, maybe Alan Regier, so you can get the whole story. You are going on half baked info here and I notice you are the leader of the band on this topic. We are talking, in general, about signing 16 year olds here. Guillen has suggested (strongly I may add) that they play the numbers game instead of plunking down big sums of $ for one or two guys.

Seriously, and not picking on you, but lets get the whole story here because some of the things assumed on this topic are less than accurate. They sign lots of these guys, as do many teams. The visas are granted on how much potential these kids show after a year of so of playing and instruction.

Not defending the White Sox here at all, they can and should do better but to say they are shutting off an avenue of talent is completely wrong.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
We are talking, in general, about signing 16 year olds here. Guillen has suggested (strongly I may add) that they play the numbers game instead of plunking down big sums of $ for one or two guys

I agree with Guillen's approach. Similar to the amateur draft in America, praise from scouts and slot money doesn't guarantee success. Those sought after and given big bonuses may succeed more often than your average non-drafted free agent, but still, for an area such as Latin America -- which represents upwards of 20% of MLB -- not every player from that region is the result of a bidding war.

I compare it to the draft in another sense. If we're given, let's say, two million to spend in the Dominican Republic; it'd be more beneficial to have more draft picks than throwing it all at one or two players. Perhaps for every six selected one turns into a major leaguer. If even that one player turns into a future hall of famer it'll be worth all the embarrassment of watching teams such as Bristol struggle.

What I've always wanted to see is an increased presence overseas. For results to show up at a reasonable interval. Not having a contributing player from Latin America in over 10 years is inexcusable. Maybe DLS will change that and develop into a legitimate ace. Or, maybe he'll become the next Merkin Valdez. Atleast the opportunity is there for someone to turn into something of value.

Not defending the White Sox here at all, they can and should do better but to say they are shutting off an avenue of talent is completely wrong.

If their Venezuelan summer league is gone, then what happens to those players developed through the academy? Instead of a VSL affiliate, where do they go -- to the Dominican Republic? I'm asking because I dont know. Wouldn't it be a disadvantage for us when other clubs have their teams within the country?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If their Venezuelan summer league is gone, then what happens to those players developed through the academy? Instead of a VSL affiliate, where do they go -- to the Dominican Republic? I'm asking because I dont know. Wouldn't it be a disadvantage for us when other clubs have their teams within the country?

Flash, here is what I have been told by people who work with the Sox, now these people are admin types, they aren't scouts but at least they work there.

They keep these players in the academy (whichever one) until they determine if a work visa is in order. If you look at the Bristol roster I believe you will see a SS, Luna. Not positive. Anyways he was one who got a work visa to come to the States. That is what these kids strive for. Several are handed out yearly but its not just anyone. As you can imagine getting those visas is a political manuever and Venezuala has some strange politics.

As far as teams having an advantage in Venezuela due to having a summer league team, quite possibly yes but its a good question. Again, you have been here a long time, use your pull on this site, write a letter to the proper guy at the White Sox asking for an interview for SoxTalk. The White Sox like to reach out to their fans.

That said, if you dont want to do it, just say so and if I can carve out the time I will do it. Personally I think its best to get these answers from the people who know vs. me or someone else here who knows bits and pieces 2nd hand.