Santana Questions His Future with Twins

Balance

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
To be fair, he makes a lot of teams look bad, but I know I'm not the only one who gets the impression that we mail it in or roll over and die everytime we face him.

Its a bias thing, because we see him play against us all of the time. A lot of really good teams look really bad against the guy. If you got to see it 5 times a year, it could easily be taken as mailing it in against him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
Its a bias thing, because we see him play against us all of the time. A lot of really good teams look really bad against the guy. If you got to see it 5 times a year, it could easily be taken as mailing it in against him.

I've seen plenty of starts by other teams against Santana and while he makes a ton of teams look bad, the players on the other teams and the manager don't generally slobber all over King Santana before and after the game. Besides that, there are numbers. I don't remember who, but someone around here used to post about Santana's numbers against KC, Tampa Bay, and a few other bad teams who occasionally touch him up and us? Not at all. Just suicide shrug and watch him go.

I don't think that any single player should ever be 50% of the payroll, let alone with an 8 year contract. That's like putting your retirement into one stock. Sure, it might be a great stock, but the risk in doing that is enormous. Like, devastating the organization for a decade type enormous.

We'd all love to see him here, but no player is worth that relative price (relative to payroll - if you are the Yankees with a $250M payroll, maybe it makes sense).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 07:12 AM)
I don't think that any single player should ever be 50% of the payroll, let alone with an 8 year contract. That's like putting your retirement into one stock. Sure, it might be a great stock, but the risk in doing that is enormous. Like, devastating the organization for a decade type enormous.

We'd all love to see him here, but no player is worth that relative price (relative to payroll - if you are the Yankees with a $250M payroll, maybe it makes sense).

Again, I think the Twins are insane not to trade him this offseason. I mean, with him only there for 1 more year, how can they not go to one of the big spending teams and say "Give me your 2/3 best guys and I"ll give you the best pitcher in baseball"? I mean, go to the Dodgers and ask for Kershaw and Kemp, and you get a potential #1 starter and fill the void left by Torii. Or ask for Cano, Hughes, and Chamberlain or something like that from NYY. Or a 3-some from the Mets. Etc.

They'd basically be on paper setting themselves up for the next 6 years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Can you blame Santana for being pissed? This is a second half ballclub, whose time is running out, and they deal their starting second baseman and leadoff hitter for nothing. Hopefully they screw with Nathan and Hunter too, so that they all leave and go elsewhere.

Did you seriously think there was a chance in Hell of any of those guys resigning?

The Twins aren't stupid enough to think that anyone of them except maybe Johan is irreplaceable, and they know full well they can't afford to give Johan $25m, Hunter $15m, and Nathan $12 mil a year and still field a ballclub.