New IPODS!!!

RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
www.apple.com

Check out the ipod touch which is basically just an iphone without the phone. The IPOD classic is now only available as an 80 gig or 160 gig piece of machine. The IPOD nano is totally redesigned.

Actually I am disappointed. The IPOD Touch was the model I was really looking forward to, and then find out its only 16gig. I understand that they went for real thin and used flash in that model, but why would you create a wide screen ipod meant for video and only have 16gigs of space.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
O.K., the 160GB is the one I would want. THAT is about the right size.

I gotta agree, the expanded space is what I was waiting for. The 80GB should do for now, but I might get that 160 to leave some room. I tend to sample at the highest possible rate, because the default settings for sampling leave weak recordings. So my songs tend to take up extra space.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Actually I am disappointed. The IPOD Touch was the model I was really looking forward to, and then find out its only 16gig. I understand that they went for real thin and used flash in that model, but why would you create a wide screen ipod meant for video and only have 16gigs of space.

It doesnt make any sense because I believe that the flash mem could go up to 30 gigs. But i guess they wanted to save the size of the device. Either way im sticking with the 160 gig IPOD classic, the touch screen doesnt interest me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
It doesnt make any sense because I believe that the flash mem could go up to 30 gigs. But i guess they wanted to save the size of the device. Either way im sticking with the 160 gig IPOD classic, the touch screen doesnt interest me.

The wide screen was what interested me for the video. My guess is that with the new launch of the IPhone they didnt want an IPOD that would overshadow it. A 30 or 60 gig IPOD Touch with WiFi would probably hurt sales of the IPhone and piss off their partners. I know why it was done, just mad that it was. I am going to shoot for the 80 gig or the 160 classic. My 20 gig IPOD finally bit the dust and its time for a new one. The metal case should help a lot with durability. I will pick up apple care with this one.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
I want one just for the wifi capabilities.

I dont understand the draw of that. I mean, you have to go into a coffee shop, and then can surf the web on your ipod? Is that a huge benefit for some people. I have a treo that surfs the web everywhere on the EV-Do network, is this really that different from what this ipod will be able to do only in hotspots?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
I dont understand the draw of that. I mean, you have to go into a coffee shop, and then can surf the web on your ipod? Is that a huge benefit for some people. I have a treo that surfs the web everywhere on the EV-Do network, is this really that different from what this ipod will be able to do only in hotspots?

The only benefit is from a speed standpoint. Wifi is faster than Ev-Do or other 3G technologies. But the problems with Wifi is the range, location of hotspots, and my favorite making sure that the "free" hotspot you are connecting through isnt a bad guy with a rougue access point intercepting your traffic.

The only key for me was the 3.5 widescreen lcd, I will live with the 2.5 and the 160 Gig drive.

Anyone know how to get podcasts to load in sequential order. I download radio shows, and they load backwards. So after each segment, I have to go back and load the next segment. I know there must be a way because mine used to load the proper way, but I had to restore it recently. Help! I'm beginning to dislike iTechnology.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)

No data plan charges or monthly subscription

Good for me in class since the school has wifi, I don't want to lug around my laptop, and I can keep track of games since I have a lot of night classes

But fock Apple, I am plenty happy with TMobile Dash (yes,also with Wifi :D ), I would probably get annoyed with a touch screen anyways

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 01:43 AM)
No data plan charges or monthly subscription

Good for me in class since the school has wifi, I don't want to lug around my laptop, and I can keep track of games since I have a lot of night classes

But fock Apple, I am plenty happy with TMobile Dash (yes,also with Wifi :D ), I would probably get annoyed with a touch screen anyways

Ah ok. For students it makes alot of sense, I had my old man brain on for a second. For me it just doesnt give me a whole lot of benefit with a blackberry that does the internet all the time.