One more nail in the coffin of diplomacy regarding Iran.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
I eat apples on Thursdays. Do you like playing monopoly?

Just checking since I guess by your standards you have to be doing something to have that opinion on something. I am sure you are paying extra taxes and taking in all kinds of poor people so that they don't end up in the military, right? Eh, who am I kidding, you probably are just putting them through college yourself to keep them from enlisting. You have also probably joined tons of peace marches, organiations, and protests to have the opinion that the war is wrong, correct?

Absurd, isn't it?

Thenm again you would probably have a different opinion of the war if you family had been targeted for genocide by Saddam.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Just checking since I guess by your standards you have to be doing something to have that opinion on something. I am sure you are paying extra taxes and taking in all kinds of poor people so that they don't end up in the military, right? Eh, who am I kidding, you probably are just putting them through college yourself to keep them from enlisting. You have also probably joined tons of peace marches, organiations, and protests to have the opinion that the war is wrong, correct?

Absurd, isn't it?

Thenm again you would probably have a different opinion of the war if you family had been targeted for genocide by Saddam.

Not sure what any of your analogy has to do with the war in Iraq.

Where is your outrage and blood lust with regards to other countries with ruthless dictators? Why only Iraq?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)

Where is your outrage and blood lust with regards to other countries with ruthless dictators? Why only Iraq?

Oh, I won't speak for him, but I think we've all posted on the absurdities of the world and why we don't help in other places. But seeing as how your almighty UN can't do anything without some kind of kickback, it doesn't really matter anyway, does it?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
I highly doubt that. They recruit where they know they can find people to sign up.

If people were in those areas that wanted to sign up, they aren't going to turn them away because they're "too rich". GMAFB.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
If people were in those areas that wanted to sign up, they aren't going to turn them away because they're "too rich". GMAFB.

No, they wouldn't. But if you are looking to sign up kids, where would you spend your time?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
I have a hard time equating "regime change" with the extermination of a whole nation of people.

Um, what about the 1954 coup of Arbenz in Guatemala, the 1973 coup of Allende in Chile or propping up the Shah of Iran and his authoritarian secret police -- which directly helped the success of the fanatical Muslims to take power when they were able to overthrow the Shah -- and a whole lot of others that I'd sit here and type but it is 5:30 in the AM and I need to conserve a little energy. The US does have a history of toppling regimes that they don't like.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)

I would figure if you are willing to tell people that to have an opinion on something they have to be living a certian way, that you have to be living your life in accordance with your opinion, correct? Well, lets hear about all of those anti-war groups, marches, activities etc that you are in, so that you are able to posess the opinion that you do.

You must not have been paying attention to my opinions on other world problem spots, because it has been there plenty.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
I would figure if you are willing to tell people that to have an opinion on something they have to be living a certian way, that you have to be living your life in accordance with your opinion, correct? Well, lets hear about all of those anti-war groups, marches, activities etc that you are in, so that you are able to posess the opinion that you do.

You must not have been paying attention to my opinions on other world problem spots, because it has been there plenty.

From all of us. But it doesn't fit in the Iraq bashing shoebox.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
BTW, SS first posted that. Do you think the military is recruiting in Beverly Hills? Winnetka?

Of the 8 people in my section, this is the socio-economic breakdown.

3 are from medium/large cities have parents who are really REALLY loaded.

4 are from small farming towns and their families do fairly well for themselves.

1 ( me ) grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Chicago.

The military will recruit whoever wants to come in and wherever they can find them. Those who think that the military is nothing but a last resort for the poorest Americans or a dumping ground for the bottom of society's barrel is completely ignorant and doesn't know one damn thing about who we are and what we're made of. About the only people who actually believe that nonsense are leftist douchebags like Michael Moore, those who run moveon.org and the mindless sycophants who parrot their talking points word for word. Those assertions are every bit as insulting to us as they are wrong.

Edited by NUKE

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
Earlier you said it was bulls*** that throughout history, wars were fought by illigrants and the less advantaged.

It is bulls***. It was bulls*** yesterday, today and will still be bulls*** tomorrow. When this nation goes to war there are young men and women from all walks of life who answer the call and go fight. This is true no matter what the moveon.orgs and the Michael Moore's will tell you.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:17 AM)
It is bulls***. It was bulls*** yesterday, today and will still be bulls*** tomorrow. When this nation goes to war there are young men and women from all walks of life who answer the call and go fight. This is true no matter what the moveon.orgs and the Michael Moore's will tell you.

:lolhitting Check history. Of all your qualities nuke, how well you articulate thoughts is perhaps the most charming. I suppose this is the necessary training you've received and I am certain you represent your bros well. Yes, of course there are men and women from all walks of life in the military. But one white kid from Winnetka doesn't equal 100 Hispanic kids from San Benito, Texas. One white kid flying a plane, doesn't equal 100 less advantaged kids on the front lines walking.

And we can go way back to conquering armies imprisoning immigrants and putting them into their army. We could look at armies where the privileged could buy their way out of service. Slaves were sent off to war time after time.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
:lolhitting Check history. Of all your qualities nuke, how well you articulate thoughts is perhaps the most charming. I suppose this is the necessary training you've received and I am certain you represent your bros well. Yes, of course there are men and women from all walks of life in the military. But one white kid from Winnetka doesn't equal 100 Hispanic kids from San Benito, Texas. One white kid flying a plane, doesn't equal 100 less advantaged kids on the front lines walking.

And we can go way back to conquering armies imprisoning immigrants and putting them into their army. We could look at armies where the privileged could buy their way out of service. Slaves were sent off to war time after time.

Yeah, go look at history. Go look at all the rich young men who risked losing everything to go off and fly for the RAF against the Nazi's even before the U.S. entered WW2. Go look at the men and women who left high paying careers behind to enlist in the army after 9/11 ( I know several of those kind of people personally ). I've been doing this for a long time and I have seen a very broad cross section of the military in my time here. I can state for a fact that there are just as many people from middle/upper class backgrounds as there are poor kids. I stand by my statement and I have just as many examples backing my argument as you have yours.

Your condescending attitude and poor attempt at humor just make you look that much more ignorant.

Edited by NUKE

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah, go look at history. Go look at all the rich young men who risked losing everything to go off and fly for the RAF against the Nazi's even before the U.S. entered WW2. Go look at the men and women who left high paying careers behind to enlist in the army after 9/11 ( I know several of those kind of people personally ). I've been doing this for a long time and I have seen a very broad cross section of the military in my time here. I can state for a fact that there are just as many people from middle/upper class backgrounds as there are poor kids. I stand by my statement and I have just as many examples backing my argument as you have yours.

Your condescending attitude and poor attempt at humor just make you look that much more ignorant.

I agree, this attitude that everyone in the military is either:

a) a dumbass or b)blood thirsty muslim hating racist

It's total nonsense. Some people just cannot understand why anyone would want to serve their country as a member of the armed services. Here's a link to some statistics on the military http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalS...ty/cda05-08.cfm

You got Democrats in news rooms like the LA Times writing this kind of crap

"We pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them, we support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?" ... "But it is the United States, and the recent NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for a mercenary - oops sorry, volunteer - force that thinks it is doing the dirty work."

Then these same people will claim "We are just looking out for the troops interest."

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
I would figure if you are willing to tell people that to have an opinion on something they have to be living a certian way, that you have to be living your life in accordance with your opinion, correct?

Well, lets hear about all of those anti-war groups, marches, activities etc that you are in, so that you are able to possess the opinion that you do.

You are absolutely correct. I live a life of peace. I practice peace and do not promote war. I have been involved in several anti-war protests since we began preparing to go to war there. I also vote for candidates that share the same attitudes. I then sold my car in order to stop supporting middle east oil.

What exactly are you doing to help the cause for your pro-war stance? "Support the troops" ribbons around your tree and similar magnets on your SUV don't count.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
You got Democrats in news rooms like the LA Times writing this kind of crap

"We pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them, we support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?" ... "But it is the United States, and the recent NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for a mercenary - oops sorry, volunteer - force that thinks it is doing the dirty work."

Then these same people will claim "We are just looking out for the troops interest."

That quote came from the NEWS of the LA Times, or is that an editorial?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
That quote came from the NEWS of the LA Times, or is that an editorial?

The guy that wrote that is a NBC news military analyst, a go-to guy when they want an "expert" to evaluate things. Also writes columns for the LA Times. He is "analyzing" the troops

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)

Again, I'll agree there are exceptions, but looking at Army racial profiles, the Army has been reporting year after year a greater percentage of minorities in their ranks than in the general population. Further, you do not have to be a citizen to serve. You do become a citizen if you are killed while serving. I guess it's one form of amnesty we all can agree on.

I am not denying the fact that men and women of all classes heed the calling to serve. That too has been consistent. (Bush, for example bravely flew over Texas.) We also allowed our best and brightest to fight the war from a classroom seat. But facts are facts, the wealthiest and the connected found ways around the draft. Some did answewr the call, like John Kerry.

There are just as many upper and middle class as poor kids? 50/50? So you say.