The environment thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
This seems like a pretty low-level guy and it's an obstruction charge for deleting emails. I doubt anyone important will ever face any charges or financial penalties.

Which is stupid. I'm sick of people getting away with stuff like this.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
Which is stupid. I'm sick of people getting away with stuff like this.

Well, BP has already settled something like $8 billion in private claims against them, but no one knows what the government will do yet and that liability should be huge. Then again, Shell had a monstrous spill overseas about the same time and simply said nothing happened.

• 2 weeks later...

TVA Announces Job, Capital Spending Cuts After Q2 Loss

Following a net loss of $267 million in the first half of its fiscal year, Tennessee Valley Authority executives announced they would cut back on capital expenses and trim upward of 1,000 positions.

TVA offered no further details on either measure or regarding what areas of the organization they would affect. In an earnings release, the company pointed to a 5.9 percent drop in electricity sales in the first half of the fiscal year, caused by one of the warmest winters on record in its service area. Slack demand also reduced rates, contributing to the 10.8 percent decline in revenues during the first two quarters of fiscal 2012 compared to the same period last year.

The earnings results follow a recent decision by TVA’s board to approve a $1.5 billion to $2 billion increase to the budget of the Watts Bar 2 completion project. While they remain committed to that endeavor and to nuclear power in general, TVA executives told reporters in a conference call that the organization will trim about $500 million from its budgets for capital projects.

Damn it, this means they're never going to finish my project out there. Between this and the SONGS fiasco with their steam generators, these will be "on hold" forever.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Yeah, they're unique enough without being obvious about it. Still too expensive for me, but you gotta start somewhere.

I thought you have an engineering degree from the University of Illinois? Not rich yet?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
Songs is hoping to get back on line next month, but the nrc is rejecting any timelines right now.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen...they've gone from having an issue with what they thought was about a dozen tubes to about 1,300 tubes...if they don't get that thing on in July/August, the CAISO will be juggling the ability to produce enough var support to support importing the power they need, keeping the lights on, and relieving congestion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
It is pretty much original, but the abuses of it really picked up in the last century or so.

But so has the need for expansive, large-scale infrastructure as well as the percentage of land that's actually developed. You didn't have the electrical grid or communications networks or massive interstates 100 years ago.

I'd imagine that there was plenty of abuse by Gilded Age railroad barons.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
But so has the need for expansive, large-scale infrastructure as well as the percentage of land that's actually developed. You didn't have the electrical grid or communications networks or massive interstates 100 years ago.

I'd imagine that there was plenty of abuse by Gilded Age railroad barons.

The railroads are the second big landowners in the US for a reason.

Obama Pushes Reappointment of Svinicki to NRC Despite Objections from Key Senate Democrats

As promised in April, President Barack Obama has nominated Kristine Svinicki for a second term on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission despite opposition from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats in Congress.

The White House announced the nomination in a brief statement issued Tuesday. Svinicki, whose term ends June 30, was first appointed to the NRC in 2008. She took up the post after working on nuclear issues for the Senate Armed Services Committee under Republican Sens. John Warner and John McCain. She also spent several years as a policy adviser to then Senator Larry Craig, R-Idaho, according to her NRC biography and the White House release.

With a bachelor’s in nuclear engineering from the University of Michigan, Svinicki began her career in 1989 as an energy engineer at the Wisconsin Public Service Commission. Before coming to Capitol Hill, she worked for the Department of Energy in its Office of Nuclear Energy, Science and Technology, its Idaho Operations Office and its Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management. Her statements before Congress regarding the latter position recently drew a public rebuke from Reid, who accused her of lying about her work on the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada. Svinicki denied that allegation. She has also clashed with former Reid staff member and NRC Chairman Gregory B. Jaczko.

Her confirmation in the Senate is uncertain, with Republicans favoring her reappointment. Following the announcement, The Hill newspaper quoted Reid and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., as saying they had not yet made a decision on moving the nomination forward.

Wind developers starting to dial back development due to the anticipated expiration of the production tax credits...they are already taking a pounding due to the abundant supply of natural gas, and now they may lose part of their subsidies.

Will be interesting to see what happens.