Williams: Forget deal for A-Rod

spiderman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 07:00 AM)
It would be silly to think the Sox (and the other 29 teams) aren't "interested" in Alex. However realistically and finacially it makes no sense. Unless Alex agrees to a deal grossly less than what his current "market value" is... he will never wear a White Sox uniform as an employee.

Well, it is Halloween... maybe he'll wear one as a costume.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 07:06 AM)
I can't imagine any team doing anything before George Mitchell drops his Big Bertha HGH users bomb on the Lords of Baseball. Imagine signing A Rod to a mega contract and then watching his name pop up on that list. He would morph into Jason Giambi Jr.

I had actually forgotten about that, but that is an interesting point. Not that I think A-Rod is a likely person, but, that anyone could be.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
Why? Bonds is still one of the best hitters in the game, is one of the best hitters of all time, and is a huge fan draw, regardless of whether they boo him or cheer him. And don't use the steroids BS on me, because ARod could very easily be on it too, and that's an even bigger investment that would go down the drain; him, or any number of other free agents right now. He's never failed a drug test, so he's clean enough.

Besides that, I made the remark tongue-in-cheek; I'd love Bonds, but I'd be surprised as all hell if the Sox are even mentioned in any rumors about him.

two words.. Albert Belle.

QUOTE(Lillian @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 07:15 AM)
Even though K.W. publicly dismissed any notion of trying to sign A-Rod, I wouldn't necessarily assume that he isn't interested. It may not take $30 million a year to get him here. If the Yankees and Red Sox aren't players, then that only leaves the two L.A. teams as other realistically potential suitors. Perhaps it wouldn't require quite that much to get it done. Isn't it likely that A-Rod opting out of his contract had more to do with some factors other than the dollar amount? Maybe he is more concerned about extending the contract out several years beyond the expiration date of the old contract. His desire to leave N.Y. and the fan abuse, may also be involved.

Then there was always the issue of the tension between him and Jeter.

Whenever Boras is involved it's about the all mighty dollar. No matter how manysmoke and mirrors games they play, Boras is out for one thing and that is money. Any player who hires Boras is the same way. I'm not criticizing it, but just stating a fact.

Bob

QUOTE(Lillian @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Even though K.W. publicly dismissed any notion of trying to sign A-Rod, I wouldn't necessarily assume that he isn't interested. It may not take $30 million a year to get him here.

Um, yes it will. Scott Bora$$ markets his players like they cured cancer so it will take that much. Thing is now, with Bora$$ making a mockery of the World Series and pissing off the Yankees, it's been great listening to him be all squirmy this week as he realizes the market just isn't going to there anymore. NY/Bos don't want or need him and the Angels can't afford him, which leaves the Dodgers and Giants. The Giants are out because A-Rod has already stated he wants to be a winner and they won't be that anytime soon. So if I'm the Dodgers, I'd simply offer 5 yrs, 100 mil, which is nowhere near what he would have gotten if he stayed in NY and signed that extension the Yanks weere offering.

BTW, Bora$$ said on ESPN last night that Mariano Rivera is the reason A-Rod didn't make the Series when he blew that Gm 4 save in '04. So the damage control is already in full force :lolhitting

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Um, yes it will. Scott Bora$$ markets his players like they cured cancer so it will take that much. Thing is now, with Bora$$ making a mockery of the World Series and pissing off the Yankees, it's been great listening to him be all squirmy this week as he realizes the market just isn't going to there anymore. NY/Bos don't want or need him and the Angels can't afford him, which leaves the Dodgers and Giants. The Giants are out because A-Rod has already stated he wants to be a winner and they won't be that anytime soon. So if I'm the Dodgers, I'd simply offer 5 yrs, 100 mil, which is nowhere near what he would have gotten if he stayed in NY and signed that extension the Yanks weere offering.

BTW, Bora$$ said on ESPN last night that Mariano Rivera is the reason A-Rod didn't make the Series when he blew that Gm 4 save in '04. So the damage control is already in full force :lolhitting

Wow. He blames arguably the greatest post season closer in baseball history for blowing ONE game. ARod didn't pick him up in games 5, 6 or 7 like a true champion does. ARod's been in the show for about 14 years and THE reason he's never made it the series is because MR blew a save in '04. That's logic if I ever heard it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
Wow. He blames arguably the greatest post season closer in baseball history for blowing ONE game. ARod didn't pick him up in games 5, 6 or 7 like a true champion does. ARod's been in the show for about 14 years and THE reason he's never made it the series is because MR blew a save in '04. That's logic if I ever heard it.

Yep, yep. Here's the general context of the interview from ESPN's First Take:

The question posed to Bora$$ was why Rodriguez's regular-season numbers haven't translated to postseason success.

"That's a characterization that, when you look at the data, is frankly inaccurate," Bora$$ said. "If you look at Alex's first season in New York, I believe he was 7-for-16 with two home runs and five RBIs going into Game 4 in Boston.

"The brilliant Mariano Rivera, probably the only flaw he's made in a historic career over the postseason, if he got those three outs (in the ninth inning of Game 4), Alex would have been in the World Series and he would have been held to have a great postseason."

Like you said, it's funny how Bora$$ conveniently leaves out Gms 5-7 and the '05/'06 postseasons. Too bad the interviewer didn't follow up accordingly.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
"The brilliant Mariano Rivera, probably the only flaw he's made in a historic career over the postseason, if he got those three outs (in the ninth inning of Game 4), Alex would have been in the World Series and he would have been held to have a great postseason."

well, he also blew the save in '01 against the d-backs in game 7, which ironically saved his life. If NY had won he was scheduled to fly on the doomed american airliner that crashed in Queens a few days later. Since there was no parade to attend, he flew out earlier to Puerto Rico. It's a lose-win scenario if there ever was one.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
Its over 30 million a year. EVERY team is making this decision based on money.

and it's sounding like Detroit might just pony up for him, if rumors are to be believed. At least they'll make a play for his services. That would be a scary lineup.

Edited by The Ginger Kid