Brian Anderson's strong words about Winter Ball...

BearSox

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame anderson at all. I agree with pretty much everything he said.

"If the White Sox are really worried about me getting at-bats, well, I sat on [the bench] and had 17 at-bats for the whole first month [last season]," said Anderson of a possible winter playing stint in Mexico during an interview with MLB.com. "Apparently, at-bats weren't that important.

"I haven't really thought about that. I'm not sure what's going on because nobody [from the White Sox] has contacted me about what's going on.

"I'm not a 6-year-old. It would be nice to talk to someone and find out why I'm going there and as to how it will benefit me, instead of someone saying, 'You are going down there,'" Anderson added. "If someone wants to come and tell me something, I can handle it. If I can handle hitting .225 in the big leagues, I can handle getting news that's not too great about me."

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
I don't blame anderson at all. I agree with pretty much everything he said.

And then when you continue to read, his own agent says the Sox told discussed it with his agent, and his agent discussed it with him. Sorry, after a season like ours, our officials are focused on more than a struggling minor leaguer that may or may not be healthy enough for winter ball in the first place. As far as getting at bats early in the season, did he earn any? Did he blow everyone away in ST or something? Focus on playing some ball, getting healthy, and proving you're worth a damn before you whine about being talked to like a man. Being sent down was a shot at your ego? Try batting below the Mendoza line for the first half of 06, and see what KW's ego was feeling like.

I used to like this kid, and thought he'd be a good player. Maybe he still will be, but his attitude in unjustified to how he's played to date. He needs to stay quiet and carry a big stick. Maybe then he's make some contact...

I still don't blame him for being frustrated. In spring training, if I remember correctly, he hit better than erstad and fielded better than erstad, yet they gave darrin every opportunity to take his job. Then, instead of sending brian down to the minors to progress, he just sat there watching erstad play, probably getting worse if anything. What have the sox proven to him? That if he does what it takes to better himself, he'll end up on the bench watching someone else play his spot. The move sucked hard. I was pissed, I can only imagine how pissed he was.

As for everything you said, its the offseason, he wants to know where he stands so he can be traded or fight for a starting spot. So he spoke to the media and was honest. I think he is right.

That if he does what it takes to better himself, he'll end up on the bench watching someone else play his spot.

If I were him I'd be frustrated too. As for Brian doing what it takes to better himself ... that's always been debateable to say the least. Throwing a pity party upon being sent to Charlotte is just one example.

I should say he was hitting better than erstad, when he was playing consistently. Then they played erstad at every opportunity. All of soxtalk could see that erstad won the job before he took a single swing.

Excluding me I guess. I was down there, Erstad had to prove he could play CF and hit somewhat decent, which he did. If Erstad fell flat on his face in Tucson, he wouldn't have been gived the job.

I posted in the catch all thread at length so I won't go into it again here.

I feel for Brian as much as anybody, and I really do think he deserves another look at some point before we totally give up on him. However, I think when your name was synonymous with "suck" for as long as Brian's was in 2006, the way to go about a comeback is diplomatically - showing you've grown up and might be able to contribute as a teammate as well as a player. Brian is showing neither right now, regardless of how he feels he's being treated.

And yes, brian did blow erstad away during spring training. Looking at the stats, his OBP was .060 higher, his avg was slightly higher .010, his slugging was .080 points higher, he stole the same amount of bases as erstad, he walked more than erstad, and he only got 5/8 of the at bats that erstad had.

I knew I was pissed for a reason.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:41 PM)
I feel for Brian as much as anybody, and I really do think he deserves another look at some point before we totally give up on him. However, I think when your name was synonymous with "suck" for as long as Brian's was in 2006, the way to go about a comeback is diplomatically - showing you've grown up and might be able to contribute as a teammate as well as a player. Brian is showing neither right now, regardless of how he feels he's being treated.

I think he did that before 07, and wasn't rewarded. Personally, I don't like to make the same mistake twice.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
Excluding me I guess. I was down there, Erstad had to prove he could play CF and hit somewhat decent, which he did. If Erstad fell flat on his face in Tucson, he wouldn't have been gived the job.

I posted in the catch all thread at length so I won't go into it again here.

I exagerrated a little. But I don't understand how you can make the decision to start Erstad, when brian is playing better than him in every facet of the game. Then to top it off, ozzie retards any growth or momentum brian may have gotten by allowing him to get an at bat about every other day. Now they want him to get some at bats? Gimme a f***ing break.

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
I exagerrated a little. But I don't understand how you can make the decision to start Erstad, when brian is playing better than him in every facet of the game. Then to top it off, ozzie retards any growth or momentum brian may have gotten by allowing him to get an at bat about every other day. Now they want him to get some at bats? Gimme a f***ing break.

this argument is soo tired. Who gives a s*** about some prospect who can't hit MLB pitching?

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
I think he did that before 07, and wasn't rewarded. Personally, I don't like to make the same mistake twice.

Ah, but Brian made one big mistake before 07 - that would be making an utter fiasco of his rookie year when he was finally given his chance and the full faith of the organization. Hence, it's gonna take a little time for "reward" to come back into this equation. In the mean time, it'd help to get healthy, get hitting, and keep his mouth shut unless he has something nice to say.

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Ah, but Brian made one big mistake before 07 - that would be making an utter fiasco of his rookie year when he was finally given his chance and the full faith of the organization. Hence, it's gonna take a little time for "reward" to come back into this equation. In the mean time, it'd help to get healthy, get hitting, and keep his mouth shut unless he has something nice to say.

He came on stronger in the second half of 06 and carried it to spring training 07, then got benched for someone who put up lesser stats but got a better chance at spring training success.

Edited by max power

I really think he's just too dumb to be a good major leaguer. Do you remember his 17 at bats? He was situationally terrible. Forget the numbers, there are many ways a player can help a team if he can field like Brian, even if he's not hitting for numbers. But he came up needing a lazy fly ball or even a ground ball to get a guy over and would strike out trying to put it on the moon. Then he'd come up with 2 out and nobody on and bunt. He was very frustrating for the fans to watch and must have driven the coaches nuts. A great athlete but a bad ball player.

The key I think, is that they are given a second year after that to continue. Brian wasn't, and worse, he deserved that opportunity, at that point. Now he is kinda f***ed. But hey, go ahead and call him s*** or think whatever you want, because you obviously know everything that could have happened, and will happen in the future.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
I really think he's just too dumb to be a good major leaguer. Do you remember his 17 at bats? He was situationally terrible. Forget the numbers, there are many ways a player can help a team if he can field like Brian, even if he's not hitting for numbers. But he came up needing a lazy fly ball or even a ground ball to get a guy over and would strike out trying to put it on the moon. Then he'd come up with 2 out and nobody on and bunt. He was very frustrating for the fans to watch and must have driven the coaches nuts. A great athlete but a bad ball player.

I don't see how its prudent to judge anything from 17 at bats, especially when they are as sporadic as his were and the fact that he is and was a developing player at the time, not some established vet.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
I don't see how its prudent to judge anything from 17 at bats, especially when they are as sporadic as his were and the fact that he is and was a developing player at the time, not some established vet.

17 on top of about 400 similar ones the two years before. I know it's harsh, I had great hopes for Brian, but he is just not maturing as a baseball player. He has so much more talent than, say a Rowand or even Joe Crede, but he just doesn't know or doesn't want to take the right approach to a given situation. He just wants to be the star, in the mean time the White Sox were giving ball games away. Grrr.