Bonds won't enter Hall

daa84

So many ready to light the fire under Bonds... yet Palmerio, "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids, period.", who definitely and knowingly used them has all but been forgotten about. Is his 500hr/3000hit record going to have a "*" next to it? Should it? When it comes time for his name to go on the ballot will all the Bonds screamers also be yelling for Raffy's "record" - a record that only 3 others in all of baseball have - to have a "cheater" label next to it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
So many ready to light the fire under Bonds... yet Palmerio, "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids, period.", who definitely and knowingly used them has all but been forgotten about. Is his 500hr/3000hit record going to have a "*" next to it? Should it? When it comes time for his name to go on the ballot will all the Bonds screamers also be yelling for Raffy's "record" - a record that only 3 others in all of baseball have - to have a "cheater" label next to it?

No, we won't be yelling for that at all.

We'll be lauging about the 3% of the vote he pulls in despite those accomplishments.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)

Palmeiro wanted to continue with his career but no one would have anything to do with him. He's a cheater and despite 500 homers and 3000 hits will not be in the Hall of Fame unless he goes for a visit. Bonds was a HOFer before he started juicing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
No, we won't be yelling for that at all.

We'll be lauging about the 3% of the vote he pulls in despite those accomplishments.

If he gets 3% then I imagine BB will be lucky to get half of that (I don't think so, but to appease the masses, I digress). And if that's the case I guess I just don't get all the energy put forth in posting over and over and over again making common knowledge known. Everyone who knows half a squat about Bonds knows what he's accused of. Some choose to look at the glass half full, some half empty. It's just too bad "agree to disagree" doesn't work on BB discussions.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Palmeiro wanted to continue with his career but no one would have anything to do with him. He's a cheater and despite 500 homers and 3000 hits will not be in the Hall of Fame unless he goes for a visit. Bonds was a HOFer before he started juicing.

Maybe because he absolutely positively tested positive for steroids... (devil's advocate).

Time will tell about his HOF induction, but I don't agree with you.

A cheater is a cheater regardless of when he cheated. When Bonds used has nothing to do with the comparison.

That entire era will have an *

Bonds knew what was going on. He had lifted before and knew how his body reacted. He also is smart enough to know that adding flaxseed oil and an arthritis cream would not produce those results. Those are available over the counter, and this cream was clearly not over the counter stuff. He had a responsibility to know what he was using. That comes with the job. He is an adult and should be treated like one.

All these guys had a symbiotic relationship with MLB. They used each other and made hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. The owner of the ball is adding an asterisks and the hall has a choice. It seems that there has been a lot of media coverage and fan interest in steroids in baseball. Some fans will make excuses and believe Bonds was an unwitting innocent victim. You cannot wake someone who is pretending to be asleep. That asterisks in a way represents all the juicers in baseball.

Is it unfair that Bonds is the poster boy for steroids? It's the good with the bad. Perhaps we feel some sympathy for the guy who was barely clinging to a MLB career and used, versus All-Stars like Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Giambi, and Palmero. Bonds climbed to the top, his accomplishments placed him on that pedestal for all the world to cheer and jeer.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:36 AM)
My disgust for Palmeiro is almost as much as it is for Bonds. And no one here has said anything different. McGuire, same thing, and he won't get in either.

I know a lot of people who hate Bonds for using but make excuses for Raffy. Some even hold onto the thought that Tejada tampered with the b12 on purpose (for the record I do not believe MT had anything to do with RP in any medical way, shape, or form).

For the record, I never said anyone here has said anything different. I asked when his time comes will the outcry be similar.

Sadly, I think Mac will eventually get in.

The hall is going to have to somehow recognize the "steroid era". When (I agree with Steff) these guys start entering the Hall, there will be an outcry and baseball will look foolish (again) if they stand there like nothing is wrong.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
I know a lot of people who hate Bonds for using but make excuses for Raffy. Some even hold onto the thought that Tejada tampered with the b12 on purpose (for the record I do not believe MT had anything to do with RP in any medical way, shape, or form).

For the record, I never said anyone here has said anything different. I asked when his time comes will the outcry be similar.

Sadly, I think Mac will eventually get in.

I'd bet that none of those three (Bonds, Palmeiro, McGuire) get in. Bonds is the most likely. But none will make it, IMO.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
I'd bet that none of those three (Bonds, Palmeiro, McGuire) get in. Bonds is the most likely. But none will make it, IMO.

Bonds will, no doubt in my mind. I also think it is likely the voters will elect one or two of the other guys and force this mess back into baseball's lap, where it belongs. Remember who votes on the Hall.