Could a team of you and your friends

Eh?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can a team of your friends score on an NBA team

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
One of you played HS ball. Nobody played even a bit of college ball. Regardless of if you had other sports to play, if you were that good at bball, in THAT season, thats the sport you would have played. There is basically no sport competing with bball that would or should compete for any of your talents. In fact, im pretty sure a college team like UCONN or TENN would beat you as well.

You don't have to play basketball in college or high school to be good..

You guys can think whatever you want, thats cool with me, but we can play and especially against girls

Oh, and by the way.. Football took the entire first semester of high school.. And playing where I did in Katy, we went deep into the playoffs every year.. so that took up that entire time.. Track and Baseball took up the entire second semester.. So I don't know how they did things at your high school but thats not how it was done at mine or in Texas for that matter..

Edited by Shadows

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
You don't have to play basketball in college or high school to be good..

You guys can think whatever you want, thats cool with me, but we can play and especially against girls

Usually when you are good, you play in high school or college. And you would have to be that good to beat a team of WNBA players. They arent like playing against the girls at the gym, they will school you.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
Usually when you are good, you play in high school or college. And you would have to be that good to beat a team of WNBA players. They arent like playing against the girls at the gym, they will school you.

Right, unless of course you are better at the other sports.. and like I said, Texas football isn't something that you just play for a little but of semester one and then go off and do other things.. its like a religion here, thats what im trying to get at..

Oh, so you played football. So you were better at football than basketball, did you play college football? So what did you do during bball season? I played three sports in HS and was still recruited by D1 schools. I dont buy it. You may be a good athlete as alot of us are, but there is still a huge gap between you as an athlete that played some HS sports, and a professional basketball player regardless of the sex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTKReuPSsY

Tamika catchings alone would take you to the hole.

Candace Parker of Naperville may even dunk on you.

This girl is a 6'5" high schooler.

Edited by RockRaines

Perhaps most of the people on this board are confused because in Illinois we have 3 sports seasons.

Fall, Winter, Spring.

Fall: Football, Soccer

Winter: Basketball, Wrestling

Spring: Baseball, Tennis

Thus in Illinois if you are good at basketball and football, you play both. So when we hear that none of your friends even played HS basketball its hard to believe that you could beat professionals.

Ive seen Tamika play in person against men. There are really not that many men who are more talented than her.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
Oh, so you played football. So you were better at football than basketball, did you play college football? So what did you do during bball season? I played three sports in HS and was still recruited by D1 schools. I dont buy it. You may be a good athlete as alot of us are, but there is still a huge gap between you as an athlete that played some HS sports, and a professional basketball player regardless of the sex.

Yes, I am much better at football than I am basketball.. that doesn't mean that I cant play.. I played baseball and ran track during basketball season on top of our ridiculous football offseason.. You played football in Illinois, im not impressed in the least by that.. Ive seen Illinois high school football, I was born in Illinois so every time we go back for christmas I have caught a couple playoff games on TV up there, and its nothing compared to football down here.

And yes, I was recruited for football but I am a lazy f*** who didnt get good grades and didnt bother to worry about college till about a month before it started.. I had looks from Iowa State, Kansas, and Wisconsin.. that was about it in terms of big D1 schools, and then the rest were small schools like Kansas Wesleyan, Concordia Nebraska, Wabash, and Morningside College.. which I surely wasn't going to any of those.

I was red shirted at Midwestern State University before I decided to pack it in and move back closer to home.. I haven't played legit tackle football since 2003, but I guarantee you I could walk onto Sam Houston States football team tomorrow if they had tryouts..

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
Perhaps most of the people on this board are confused because in Illinois we have 3 sports seasons.

Fall, Winter, Spring.

Fall: Football, Soccer

Winter: Basketball, Wrestling

Spring: Baseball, Tennis

Thus in Illinois if you are good at basketball and football, you play both. So when we hear that none of your friends even played HS basketball its hard to believe that you could beat professionals.

Yeah, I am sure that it is done differently up there.. down here football is basically year round, and when you weren't doing that, most of us were on the baseball team in the spring and the skill position players were required to do track..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
You played football in Illinois, im not impressed in the least by that.. Ive seen Illinois high school football, I was born in Illinois so every time we go back for christmas I have caught a couple playoff games on TV up there, and its nothing compared to football down here.

Nope sure didnt. I am well aware of the top football states in the country, Ohio, Fla Texas and California. Still doesnt change the fact that playing a few pickup games of basketball does not make you good enough to beat professionals. I play pickup games at Hoops the Gym. I am not nearly as good as most of the guys there and I played HS basketball against some pretty good competition. As far as hoops go, the Chicago area is one of the tops in the country, and no way could I hang with WNBA players. They would outright school me.

Edited by RockRaines

I think it depends on which 5 pros you'd be playing against.

Does anyone remember the IIT summer basketball tournament? It was basically pick up games which included the top local HS, College and pro players. Brad Sellers (remember his soft, sorry ass?) got dunked on, not once but twice by two different HS kids in one game. I also saw a HS kid block one of Jordan's lay ups and I mean cleanly pinned it to the glass. So, I tend to think it's possible.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
I think it depends on which 5 pros you'd be playing against.

Does anyone remember the IIT summer basketball tournament? It was basically pick up games which included the top local HS, College and pro players. Brad Sellers (remember his soft, sorry ass?) got dunked on, not once but twice by two different HS kids in one game. I also saw a HS kid block one of Jordan's lay ups and I mean cleanly pinned it to the glass. So, I tend to think it's possible.

But did a team of high-schoolers beat the pros? That's kinda the little argument going on here.

The argument isn't "can you compete against a WNBA team?" He's basically saying that he is absolutely positive that him and his group of friends would beat a WNBA team, and it's very easy to doubt that.

When I was at FSU, about 4 girls from the girls' team lived in my dorm, so I got to know them pretty well. One of them was dating a football player, and I heard about a time when her and a couple of teammates played a pick-up game against three football players. The football players did win. That's why I'm glad someone asked what sports and at what levels this kid and his friends have played, because those FSU guys were freakish athletes, a couple of whom did also play basketball in high school, and capable of beating very good female basketball players.

Yes, it's possible that a group of kids who played a little bit of high school sports, none of which was basketball, and didn't go much further can beat a top WNBA team in basketball, but I don't think it's probable. Sounds more like bravado to me.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
But did a team of high-schoolers beat the pros? That's kinda the little argument going on here.

The argument isn't "can you compete against a WNBA team?" He's basically saying that he is absolutely positive that him and his group of friends would beat a WNBA team, and it's very easy to doubt that.

When I was at FSU, about 4 girls from the girls' team lived in my dorm, so I got to know them pretty well. One of them was dating a football player, and I heard about a time when her and a couple of teammates played a pick-up game against three football players. The football players did win. That's why I'm glad someone asked what sports and at what levels this kid and his friends have played, because those FSU guys were freakish athletes, a couple of whom did also play basketball in high school, and capable of beating very good female basketball players.

Yes, it's possible that a group of kids who played a little bit of high school sports, none of which was basketball, and didn't go much further can beat a top WNBA team in basketball, but I don't think it's probable. Sounds more like bravado to me.

LMB is talking about the original question in the thread, not the WNBA argument.

In Texas, if you are playing Football or Basketball, you will be taking "Football" or "Basketball" as your PE choice. Most of the other sports are the same thing. You will also be playing in "community leagues" and all sorts of quasi-legal ways to keep you playing year round. There is no pressure, like when I was in school, to letter in three sports.