Winter Meetings

Soxfest

I for one was surprised and upset that the Sox did not land Hunter, but at $90 million, the Sox weren't going to get him. And would anyone have been happy if the Sox had traded a huge chuck of the farm system for Chubby Cabrera? Sure it looks like the Sox haven't done anything, but there's still time and there's still money.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
And hunter is a negative. Im sorry but half of you are claiming you want to rebuild, and Hunter would have made that so much harder.

Spending money just to spend is not good business.

Us not getting Hunter for that contract was such an overall win for the White Sox its not even funny.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)
Those teams top 2's are gone too. IM sure they all cried. From what I understand, plan A was Hunter, plan B was O Cabrera, which he got. All of the reports that have come out in the last few days state that the Sox werent even close for MCab, so we didnt lose s***.

Probably exactly why Dye called KW 2 minutes after the trade came out asking what happened? C'mon, if Orlando Cabrera was a target how come Uribe was re-signed? Kenny himself said the Angels came to him after he signed Uribe saying they were about to offer him Cabrera but then they heard about Uribe. The reports the Sox didn't wan't MCabrera real bad,and weren't upset they didn't get him were spin,

QUOTE(hogan873 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
I for one was surprised and upset that the Sox did not land Hunter, but at $90 million, the Sox weren't going to get him. And would anyone have been happy if the Sox had traded a huge chuck of the farm system for Chubby Cabrera? Sure it looks like the Sox haven't done anything, but there's still time and there's still money.

You would think there still is money but Kenny is back to the you can't buy things for $1 if you only have $.50 line again.

Just so I understand,

Are people b****ing Kenny didnt sign Hunter to the 90mil contract?

Or are they b****ing that Kenny didnt get Hunter to sign a cheaper contract that would have been worthwhile?

Because if the Sox signed Hunter for 90mil it would have been a disaster. For some reason I just dont see Hunter being able to stay healthy the majority of the next 5 years.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
Probably exactly why Dye called KW 2 minutes after the trade came out asking what happened? C'mon, if Orlando Cabrera was a target how come Uribe was re-signed? Kenny himself said the Angels came to him after he signed Uribe saying they were about to offer him Cabrera but then they heard about Uribe. The reports the Sox didn't wan't MCabrera real bad,and weren't upset they didn't get him were spin,

Im sure Dye heard the rumors and was excited, I didnt even know that you were on the call? And he was resigned because as you well know, not all trades happen the way we want them to, and it was a smart move to have a backup plan, you know that. And if it was spin, why did it come from other cities papers and sources? Wouldnt it have come from our market?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
Im sure Dye heard the rumors and was excited, I didnt even know that you were on the call? And he was resigned because as you well know, not all trades happen the way we want them to, and it was a smart move to have a backup plan, you know that. And if it was spin, why did it come from other cities papers and sources? Wouldnt it have come from our market?

KW was lead to believe they were close to getting him, believe me.

Willis isn't great but he's not bad. He's gonna give the Tigers a lot of stability, and I don't think they are counting on a 2005-like year again. He's a big upgrade over what he will be replacing for the Tigers. 16-18 wins, 4.25 ERA, 200+ IP, 33 GS should be a fairly good bet for Willis. You can mark him down for 3-4 wins over the Sox seeing how bad we are against LHP.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
And hunter is a negative. Im sorry but half of you are claiming you want to rebuild, and Hunter would have made that so much harder.

Spending money just to spend is not good business.

Well some people may have jumped on the rebuild bandwagon after losing out on Hunter. If Hunter was too expensive, fine. But it does the team no good to sit in limbo either. Can't refuse to sign free agents and refuse to rebuild.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
My point is, maybe we are focusing on the strength of the division a little too much.

We should be able to win games elsewhere if our division really is so hard.

But they have been worse outside the divsion last year and even in 2005. Their interleague record last year was unacceptable.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
KW was lead to believe they were close to getting him, believe me.

Nah, ill believe the Miami sources that said that we werent all that close. One of the reasons he had any hope at all is that we were basically one of the only teams at the WM that was making a serious offer.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Why are the Sox under pressure to rebuild right now?

They can easily start to trade guys during the season if they really want to rebuild...

technically they aren't, but the best trade chip is Konerko and the best destination were the Angels and Dodgers because both were looking for bats. Now they each signed the bat they want. So the pressure was getting while the getting was good.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
Why are the Sox under pressure to rebuild right now?

They can easily start to trade guys during the season if they really want to rebuild...

This is the time when there are the most interested teams, and highest asking prices. You go into the season, and the number of teams looking for an OF or DH or 1B drop significantly. Not to mention this is the time when most teams think they can "compete". You get into the season, and teams start to realize they can't compete. Much like how the Sox will find out.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
Nah, ill believe the Miami sources that said that we werent all that close. One of the reasons he had any hope at all is that we were basically one of the only teams at the WM that was making a serious offer.

Your sources say OCabrera was the White Sox #2 target. You need new sources.

Everybody was disappointed we ddin't make the big splash. But, if we sign Rowand I'll be happy with the way things went over the winter. I stil am more upset that Garland went instead of Contreras.

Plus there is still a lot of time between now and ST.

Willis -68-54 at age 25

Vaz- 41- 56 at age 25

Since then Vaz has only put up 2 seasons with less wins than losses.

Probably didnt hurt that Willis played for the Marlins and Vaz played for the Expos....

And thats not necessarily true about the best packages are found in the offseason...

Plus I really think the Sox are going to have a hard time justifying trading Konerko, after he took a paycut to play here. This isnt MVP, DBPL, or any other game where you can just trade your franchise centerpieces and there wont be any long term ramifications.

Plus right now teams arent going to over pay for Konerko, Thome, Dye, etc because most feel that they have in house answers that will put up similar numbers for the much cheaper. I doubt Kenny's phone is ringing off the hook for older players who seem to have put their best days behind him. Im sure they are actively shopping every player, but at the same time who here would accept a deal where we basically gave Konerko away?

Because my feeling on the market right now is that there arent that many teams in need of an older 1b who has some injury concerns, who are going to give up top spects.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
Willis -68-54 at age 25

Vaz- 41- 56 at age 25

Since then Vaz has only put up 2 seasons with less wins than losses.

Probably didnt hurt that Willis played for the Marlins and Vaz played for the Expos....

Everyone knows that willis used to be a good pitcher. The question is if he is still. He was terrible last year.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
Everyone knows that willis used to be a good pitcher. The question is if he is still. He was terrible last year.

They say he was only throwing 85 last year. He's making about $7 or 8 million in 2008, he's worth the gamble if it means you get Cabrera in your line-up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
They say he was only throwing 85 last year. He's making about $7 or 8 million in 2008, he's worth the gamble if it means you get Cabrera in your line-up.

Absolutely but some people are calling him a good SP or better, when all he is to me is a question mark.

He is worth the gamble, especially when your rotation is as bad as detroits is.

Edited by max power