Jim Edmonds to Padres

Brian

The Cardinals are smart and realize that their team is in shambles and that without a rebuild, they are going nowhere.

Right now, the best comparison to the Sox that I can think of in baseball is the St. Louis Cardinals. It almost appears that they are starting to rebuild.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
The Cardinals are smart and realize that their team is in shambles and that without a rebuild, they are going nowhere.

Right now, the best comparison to the Sox that I can think of in baseball is the St. Louis Cardinals. It almost appears that they are starting to rebuild.

When a stadium is built for you and you draw 3 million fans you do not rebuild. There are many people on this board that feel that rebuilding means a couple of down years and then a pennant contendor. That is not hte case.

Do ticket prices fluctuate with the salary that is saved for rebuilding?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
There's always someone on this site discrediting good players.

It would be nice if he could manage more than 350 ABs in a season, of course I doubt turning 38 years old will help all that much. That .728 2007 OPS and pathetic range in CF sure are sexy though.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)

3 years ago he was a good player. Now? He needs to recover a lot of form for us to call him that. He's played in 110 and 117 games the last 2 years respectively, and over the last 4 he's seen his OPS decline from 1.070 to .728 last year. Going to Petco could knock that down even more, and he'll be expected to cover a lot of ground out in CF.

Assuming his numbers aren't declining for chemical reasons, it's certainly possible he could just get lucky and be healthy for a year or two and actually have his numbers improve rather than go down. But if his current trends continue, he might put up numbers that look worse than Jerry Owens without the steals.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)

WHere have you been lately? Edmonds is woeful these days, always hurt, has lost a step in the OF, strikes out more than I would, and Petco's not going to do anything to help that, and neither is turning 38.

Take a gander at his last two seasons and his rapidly declining OPS and GP and get back to me about how "good" he is... This was a dumb move by San Diego.