Nevada Caucus and SC GOP Primary discussion thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Romney vs Clinton? yea, that would suck.

lol i agree. I'd vote Clinton in that situation but... man.

Obama v. McCain - I'd vote McCain

Obama v. Romney - I'd shoot myself

Clinton v. McCain - ... unsure

Clinton v. Romney - I'd vote Clinton

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Romney vs Clinton? yea, that would suck.

Let me put that race in some perspective. If the election were held tomorrow and that was the matchup, there's a strong chance I'd be filling in the bubble for Romney.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Let me put that race in some perspective. If the election were held tomorrow and that was the matchup, there's a strong chance I'd be filling in the bubble for Romney.

correct me if i'm wrong but you're an Obama supporter correct?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
correct me if i'm wrong but you're an Obama supporter correct?

I would have happily supported Edwards also, but I'll be putting Obama on my primary ballot. I just have absolutely no stomach right now to vote for Hillary Clinton.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I would have happily supported Edwards also, but I'll be putting Obama on my primary ballot. I just have absolutely no stomach right now to vote for Hillary Clinton.

ok, and disliking her is fine, but if you care at all about Obama or Edwards policies you would never vote for Romney over ANY democrat. This is what i mean when i talk about people not voting in their own interest - it's all about feel, gut reaction, emotion, likability, etc. Interesting...

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
ok, and disliking her is fine, but if you care at all about Obama or Edwards policies you would never vote for Romney over ANY democrat. This is what i mean when i talk about people not voting in their own interest - it's all about feel, gut reaction, emotion, likability, etc. Interesting...

The trouble is, I paid enough attention during the Clinton years that right now, I think that there's a solid chance that a corporatist Republican might well be a better policy maker than the Clintons, and the fact that they've surrounded themselves in this campaign with many of the same people from the last election doesn't help matters. Hillary would have an awful lot of work to do to convince me otherwise in the general. I don't think the Clintons did a very good job with the opportunity they had in the 1990's, and right now, I'd lean towards a fresh face over them again.

And the fact that I really hate the idea of political dynasties in this country really, really doesn't help.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Just wait until Jeb Bush runs in 2012 or 2016 ;)

If that ever happens...God I can't express to you how sick to my stomach that would make me. That's the kind of thing that would potentially push me into the Ron Paul type crazy we need to overhaul and destroy the entire system because it's gone completely broken camp.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
Just wait until Jeb Bush runs in 2012 or 2016 ;)

no joke. it's scary.

Balta i'm with you on the political dynasty thing - i hate it as well, but at this point i'm worried about now. Forget the past, right NOW a Clinton presidency would be better than a Romney presidency. If Romney, or any GOP wins, i think the future of the Democratic party is at risk. As it stands the GOP has had a stranglehold over this country for much of the last 50 years. The 2 party system's bad enough, but do we really want a 1 party system?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
no joke. it's scary.

Balta i'm with you on the political dynasty thing - i hate it as well, but at this point i'm worried about now. Forget the past, right NOW a Clinton presidency would be better than a Romney presidency. If Romney, or any GOP wins, i think the future of the Democratic party is at risk. As it stands the GOP has had a stranglehold over this country for much of the last 50 years. The 2 party system's bad enough, but do we really want a 1 party system?

I am voting for Iraq, the economy, and a reforming of Washington. I dont buy that Hillary will change washington, but I like her views on the economy and Iraq. Once we are "over" the whole Iraq thing, we can move on to more pressing issues. I think this recession we are in or starting into was largely ignored because so many people are focused on Iraq. OH! And Clinton will reinstate that whole pesky Constitution thing the Bushes have been pissing all over.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
no joke. it's scary.

Honestly I think the Dems will still have a solid grip on the Congress come next January, probably stronger than this year, which will help a little, even though the Repubs will still filibuster everything in sight. I'm of the opinion that the same people losing another election might well be what it takes to get rid of the damn people who keep losing them. I'm sick of voting for people who voted for the war, I'm sick of voting for people who are stuck into the same bubble by the same advisors, I'm sick of the same moneyed people controlling the party. The same people keep losing elections, and every time it seems we get closer and closer to beating them. Last time we lost it in Iowa, this time we lost it in New Hampshire. We were a couple thousand votes away from potentially beating off the main establishment candidate in this election.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
OH! And Clinton will reinstate that whole pesky Constitution thing the Bushes have been pissing all over.

On this, I think I totally disagree. The Clintons certainly didn't show me in the 90's that the first thing on their plate was cutting executive power at all. Give you an example...the court challenges to whether or not Mr. Clinton had to testify under oath and exertion of Executive priveledge there. Some level of wiretapping that was at the time pushing the limits of FISA. Using the DOJ to slow down the admittedly incredibly hostile Congress's investigative powers. I think they're going to more than enjoy having all of Mr. Bush's newly accumulated powers that the Congress surrendered handed to them.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
I am voting for Iraq, the economy, and a reforming of Washington. I dont buy that Hillary will change washington, but I like her views on the economy and Iraq. Once we are "over" the whole Iraq thing, we can move on to more pressing issues. I think this recession we are in or starting into was largely ignored because so many people are focused on Iraq. OH! And Clinton will reinstate that whole pesky Constitution thing the Bushes have been pissing all over.

exactly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
On this, I think I totally disagree. The Clintons certainly didn't show me in the 90's that the first thing on their plate was cutting executive power at all. Give you an example...the court challenges to whether or not Mr. Clinton had to testify under oath and exertion of Executive priveledge there. Some level of wiretapping that was at the time pushing the limits of FISA. Using the DOJ to slow down the admittedly incredibly hostile Congress's investigative powers. I think they're going to more than enjoy having all of Mr. Bush's newly accumulated powers that the Congress surrendered handed to them.

but you think Romney would be BETTER!?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
No. I think that neither of them gets points on that matter.

if you don't want A or B... then either vote C or don't at all. How does it make any sense to vote for one bad candidate over another?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
if you don't want A or B... then either vote C or don't at all. How does it make any sense to vote for one bad candidate over another?

If Bloomberg entered, he'd instantly be my favorite candidate in a race of Hillary versus anyone. There's a solid shot right now also that I'll be turning in a ballot in November voting for Colbert. I'll take the corporatist independent over the corporatist republican and establishment democrat right now pretty easily.

Again, calling myself undecided doesn't mean I can't flip-flop depending on how the campaign goes.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
If Bloomberg entered, he'd instantly be my favorite candidate in a race of Hillary versus anyone. There's a solid shot right now also that I'll be turning in a ballot in November voting for Colbert. I'll take the corporatist independent over the corporatist republican and establishment democrat right now pretty easily.

Again, calling myself undecided doesn't mean I can't flip-flop depending on how the campaign goes.

aight that's fair.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
CNN is reporting that the electronic voting machines broke down in McCain heavy districts in South Carolina. The limited paper ballots ran out, voters turned away from polls. Ouch

odds on Huckabee claiming divine intervention ?

Oh how sweet it would be if somehow the fact that the Republican Congress adamantly refused to deal with the voting machine issue in this country somehow managed to wind up putting Huckabee as their nominee. I'd get what, 2 "I told you so" statements against the Republicans in 1 day.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Oh how sweet it would be if somehow the fact that the Republican Congress adamantly refused to deal with the voting machine issue in this country somehow managed to wind up putting Huckabee as their nominee. I'd get what, 2 "I told you so" statements against the Republicans in 1 day.

A lot of those electronic voting machines are poorly designed. Computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University tested them and found a lot of flaws. Could easily produce 10% no vote error in an election.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

As many as 90 percent of the electronic voting machines in one coastal South Carolina county did not work when polls opened in Saturday's Republican primary
Edited by mr_genius