White Sox Payroll Resource

Kalapse

I have 26 guys on my White Sox Payroll sheet, basically becuase of Lillibridge and De Aza, both will make the 2011 league minimum, which is set at 410K for 2011. Its possible only 1 makes the roster, but its possible that both make the roster and Viciedo starts in AAA, in which case all 3 guys salaries count for 2011 payroll since Viciedo's is guaranteed. So I included all 3 salaries towards payroll.

My calculations have the White Sox committed at $125.16M to 26 players for 2011.

This includes: Buehrle (14M) + Peavy (16M) + Jackson (8.35M) + Danks (6M) + Floyd (5M) + Sale (.41M) + Santos (.41M) + Thornton (3M) + Crain (4M) + Pena (1.6M) + Ohman (1.5M) + Castro (1.2M) + AJ (2M) + Vizquel (1.75M) + Viciedo (1.25M) + Morel (.41M) + Beckham (.41M) + Ramirez (2.75M) + Lillibridge (.41M) + Konerko (12M) + Teahen (4.75M) + Quentin (5.05M) + Rios (12M) + Pierre (8.5M) + De Aza (.41M) + Dunn (12M)

This includes the break even money coming in for Pierre (+3.5M) and the money going out for Linebrink (-3.5M).

2011 Payroll Commitments + Money In/Money Out= $125.184 (26 Players)

2011_Payroll.jpg

Edited by joeynach

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's what my personal spreadsheet looks like. Any service time in blue is updated, the rest are not, take the options with a grain of salt as I haven't updated them yet. I'll update the main graphic once the service times show up online, it's just a lot more work than and Excel spreadsheet.

paythumb.jpg

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
I have 26 guys on my White Sox Payroll sheet, basically becuase of Lillibridge and De Aza, both will make the 2011 league minimum, which is set at 410K for 2011. Its possible only 1 makes the roster, but its possible that both make the roster and Viciedo starts in AAA, in which case all 3 guys salaries count for 2011 payroll since Viciedo's is guaranteed. So I included all 3 salaries towards payroll.

My calculations have the White Sox committed at $125.16M to 26 players for 2011.

This includes: Buehrle (14M) + Peavy (16M) + Jackson (8.35M) + Danks (6M) + Floyd (5M) + Sale (.41M) + Santos (.41M) + Thornton (3M) + Crain (4M) + Pena (1.6M) + Ohman (1.5M) + Castro (1.2M) + AJ (2M) + Vizquel (1.75M) + Viciedo (1.25M) + Morel (.41M) + Beckham (.41M) + Ramirez (2.75M) + Lillibridge (.41M) + Konerko (12M) + Teahen (4.75M) + Quentin (5.05M) + Rios (12M) + Pierre (8.5M) + De Aza (.41M) + Dunn (12M)

This includes the break even money coming in for Pierre (+3.5M) and the money going out for Linebrink (-3.5M).

2011 Payroll Commitments + Money In/Money Out= $125.16 (26 Players)

I wouldn't even bother with players making the minimum, every team's going to have at least 4 on their opening day roster and maybe 4+ more through August making the prorated minimum. This just becomes convoluted when you go that deep.

We basically have the same thing Kalapse. Only that I have added 6 Pre-Arb player contracts at $410k a piece, that how I got to about $125.16M. I actually just discovered that the league minimum (Pre-Arb) salary is going to rise to $414.5K in 2011, source here. I guess my salary total is really $125.184M. The only discrepancy I have, which is dumb really, is that I have De Aza playing time at 2.042 and you have at 1.041. My source is here

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
We basically have the same thing Kalapse. Only that I have added 6 Pre-Arb player contracts at $410k a piece, that how I got to about $125.16M. I actually just discovered that the league minimum (Pre-Arb) salary is going to rise to $414.5K in 2011, source here. I guess my salary total is really $125.184M. The only discrepancy I have, which is dumb really, is that I have De Aza playing time at 2.042 and you have at 1.041. My source is here

Like I said: take the service time numbers with a grain of salt, none of the websites have updated the service numbers yet, that De Aza number on Cots doesn't take into a account the 2010 season. It's pretty easy to figure out yourself (I just haven't done the work) De Aza was at 2.042 at the time he was recalled on September first and stayed through the end of the season earning him about 33 days of service so his true service number is probably 2.075.

Chris Sale was up for about 41 days so he's at 0.041

Viciedo was up for about 62 days then demoted in August and recalled again on September 7th through the end of the season which is another 27 days so his number is around 0.089

Flowers was at 0.034 before September first when he was recalled, add on another 33 days and he's at 0.067

Harrell was up for a day then demoted then recalled again on August 25th through the end of the year which puts him at 0.041

Gregory Infante logged 33 days so 0.033

Brent Lillibridge was at 0.162, was recalled on June 1st and stayed through the end of the season which is 125 days so: 0.162 + 0.125 = 1.115 (0.172 = 1.000)

Jeff Marquez logged 2 or 3 days in the majors last season, really doesn't matter.

Brent Morel picked up about 31 days so 0.031

Phil Humber logged 60 or so major league service days last season from August 5th to October 3rd and was supposedly at 0.112 so that would push him to 1.000 (the margin of error is probably 2 days so this one is tricky)

These numbers should be accurate to within a day or 2 (since we don't know precisely what time of day each player was recalled, believe it or not this does matter) unless I totally missed something, I just prefer to wait for the official numbers.

And like I said: I just don't think minimum contract mean much, if you try to keep it that accurate you'll be befuddled by the all star break.

So with the updated service numbers AND newly updated option years:

paythumb.jpg

I thought Viciedo's agent was Jamie Torres, I remember hearing that his relationship with the sox from Alexi helped foster the deal with Viciedo. I also thought Thornton was represented by Diamond Sports Mgmt. I also think Konerko is at 12.141 years of service time.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
I thought Viciedo's agent was Jamie Torres, I remember hearing that his relationship with the sox from Alexi helped foster the deal with Viciedo. I also thought Thornton was represented by Diamond Sports Mgmt. I also think Konerko is at 12.141 years of service time.

Viciedo has switched his agents and is now represended by Scott Boras. This happened sometime last year.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
I thought Viciedo's agent was Jamie Torres, I remember hearing that his relationship with the sox from Alexi helped foster the deal with Viciedo.

Like Blaze said: he switched to Boras in March

I also thought Thornton was represented by Diamond Sports Mgmt.

That's what Cots says, looks like they added that recently, last time I checked they had no agent listed for Thornton.

I also think Konerko is at 12.141 years of service time.

Agreed

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Like Blaze said: he switched to Boras in March

That's what Cots says, looks like they added that recently, last time I checked they had no agent listed for Thornton.

Agreed

Kalapse, we so sexy!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He signed a major league contract during the '08-'09 offseason so he was immediately placed on the 40 man roster. During March of both 2009 and 2010 he was optioned to Charlotte, burning 2 option years. Hence 1 option year remaining.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
He signed a major league contract during the '08-'09 offseason so he was immediately placed on the 40 man roster. During March of both 2009 and 2010 he was optioned to Charlotte, burning 2 option years. Hence 1 option year remaining.

That makes sense. Thank you.

• 2 months later...
Here's what my personal spreadsheet looks like. Any service time in blue is updated, the rest are not, take the options with a grain of salt as I haven't updated them yet. I'll update the main graphic once the service times show up online, it's just a lot more work than and Excel spreadsheet.

paythumb.jpg

Kalapse, why does Vicedo go directly to ARB and not pre-ARB? By virtue of the fact he signed an MLB contract and not Minor league?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 24, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Kalapse, why does Vicedo go directly to ARB and not pre-ARB? By virtue of the fact he signed an MLB contract and not Minor league?

All that data is as of Spring Training and the sheet assumes that anyone on the 40 man roster earn a full year of service for each of the next 6 years, this obviously will not happen with everyone but it needs to be assumed otherwise there's no good way to plan out a player's next 6 seasons. This also assumes a player will not qualify as a super 2.

With that said Viciedo's signed for the next 2 seasons with no out clause and less than a year of service coming into the 2011 season so he's under White Sox control for the next 6 years. 2011 and 2012 would be pre-arb years along with 2013 if he weren't under contract and if he doesn't get his .089 years of service up to .172 this season (which he likely will not) then 2014 will become a pre-arb season and he'll be under White Sox control through 2017.

Every player is under team control for 6 years of service, a service number of 3.000 - 5.171 makes a player arbitration eligible anything less than 3.000 and he's pre-arb. This only changes if a player is under contract or qualifies as a super 2 player. Viciedo is under contract through 2012 so he already has a fixed salary for 2 of his pre arb years, the contract runs out then he becomes pre-arb until he reaches 3.000 years of service.

The bottom line of this convoluted answer: 2011 and 2012 would be pre-arb if he weren't under contract.

(Note: he could very well be a super 2 player in his 3rd year of service turning that 3rd pre-arb year into an arb year)

• 5 months later...