White Sox Payroll Resource

Kalapse

Not taking into consideration the POSSIBLE money from the Phils for THOME ("secret" Gillick handshake deal on the option year) and the hefty insurance contract we just took on (transferred) from SD with Jake Peavy's contract. And Viciedo, although he's not counted as part of our roster...it's money the organization has taken out of Swisher's contract to pay someone else that could have been on the MLB roster.

We've also added Castro and Pena, so the team has gotten more and more expensive as the season has worn on, NOT cheaper.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Not taking into consideration the POSSIBLE money from the Phils for THOME ("secret" Gillick handshake deal on the option year) and the hefty insurance contract we just took on (transferred) from SD with Jake Peavy's contract. And Viciedo, although he's not counted as part of our roster...it's money the organization has taken out of Swisher's contract to pay someone else that could have been on the MLB roster.

We've also added Castro and Pena, so the team has gotten more and more expensive as the season has worn on, NOT cheaper.

What is this rumored handshake deal between KW and Gillick about sending extra $$ for Thome. If there was such a deal we would know about it. First of all Gillick has to be dumb to agree to send KW money during on option year. Second of all, anything and eveything on the White Sox books is made public at some point. The payroll figures need to be reported in full to MLB so they can determine Luxury tax info every year. If there was some $$ coming from PHI it would have shown up somewhere by now.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
so q, danks, carrasco, wise and betemit hit arb this offseason. we can probably lowball q due to injuries. should probably give danks a new contract similar to the floyd one if he'd take it. let carrasco and betemit go to arb and wise well....

They offered Danks the same contract as Floyd, but he turned it down.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
Cots baseball contracts has the sox payroll just over $96 Mil. So ur # here on soxtalk is not that far off at all.

My number is right on, the difference between what I have and Cots has is simply a bi-product of different definitions of the word "payroll". I included every guaranteed commitment the Sox had to players as of the start of the season simply to make such data easily available in one place. When US Today puts together their payroll numbers they're not including everything.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:55 AM)
Hey Kalapse,

Can we get an updated version of your payroll spreadsheet?

Thank you! :)

I will. I've been having some computer problems or I would have already but you'll be seeing an updated resource sometime soon.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
How exactly does Viciedo's contract work? Is he a free agent after 4 years as this suggests? I've seen some say we have him under control afterwords too. If he is a free agent after 4 years, that's a pretty bad contract we gave him.

From direct word of the White Sox brass...Viciedo is not a FA after 4 years. His contract runs for 4 years, but he will still be under the White Sox's control until he has accumulated enough time in the big leagues to qualify as a FA, or runs out of minor league options and is released. We get him the full 6ish years after his MLB debut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
From direct word of the White Sox brass...Viciedo is not a FA after 4 years. His contract runs for 4 years, but he will still be under the White Sox's control until he has accumulated enough time in the big leagues to qualify as a FA, or runs out of minor league options and is released. We get him the full 6ish years after his MLB debut.

Straight from Rick Hahn even. Same with Ramirez.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
How exactly does Viciedo's contract work? Is he a free agent after 4 years as this suggests? I've seen some say we have him under control afterwords too. If he is a free agent after 4 years, that's a pretty bad contract we gave him.

Nope. Viciedo will than just revert to the rules of baseball and in that time be eligible for arbitration. The Sox will still own his rights though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
So Kal, how is our full year payroll projected to be at this point, with the inclusions of Peavy and Rios?

With the additions of Rios and Peavy and arbatration for guys like Danks, Jenks and CQ the Sox total commited payroll will be around ~90 million

W/O Rios, Peavy, Danks, CQ and Jenks the payroll would be: 45 million

45 million + 15 million (Peavy) + 9.7 million (Rios) + ~7 million (Jenks)+ ~5.5 million (Danks) + ~7 million (CQ) + 1 million (Carrasco)

= ~90 million.

I'm guessing Reiny wants to be around 100-105 million in payroll. He knows KW is building for a strong run in 2010 so 105 million is not out of the question. This will give KW about 10-15 million to spend on free agency. However, lets not count out trades. Jenks may be a strong trade candidate this winter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
With the additions of Rios and Peavy and arbatration for guys like Danks, Jenks and CQ the Sox total commited payroll will be around ~90 million

W/O Rios, Peavy, Danks, CQ and Jenks the payroll would be: 45 million

45 million + 15 million (Peavy) + 9.7 million (Rios) + ~7 million (Jenks)+ ~5.5 million (Danks) + ~7 million (CQ) + 1 million (Carrasco)

= ~90 million.

I'm guessing Reiny wants to be around 100-105 million in payroll. He knows KW is building for a strong run in 2010 so 105 million is not out of the question. This will give KW about 10-15 million to spend on free agency. However, lets not count out trades. Jenks may be a strong trade candidate this winter.

I was more curious where we were going to come in for 2009.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
I was more curious where we were going to come in for 2009.

Adding up all financial commitments for this season sans pre-arb and league minimum players -- this includes Castro, Kotsay, Garcia and Podsednik since they're all making about league minimum -- including the pro-rated contracts of Peavy and Rios the Sox are on the hook for about $98.275M.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Adding up all financial commitments for this season sans pre-arb and league minimum players -- this includes Castro, Kotsay, Garcia and Podsednik since they're all making about league minimum -- including the pro-rated contracts of Peavy and Rios the Sox are on the hook for about $98.275M.

So in reality, after we took at all of the cash we got last year from teams, we are pretty much at the exact same payroll outlay for 2009 as 2008.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
So in reality, after we took at all of the cash we got last year from teams, we are pretty much at the exact same payroll outlay for 2009 as 2008.

so the Sox aren't, in fact, cutting salary? and they never intended on going cheap?

Peavy not accepting the trade until the deadline was actually a blessing in disguise. Without it, the Sox don't have a replacement in RF for Dye next year.