Florida GOP Primary Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make one prediction. The nightmare of a 9ui11ani Presidency will soon be no more. Thankfully, there is still some intelligence left in America, and every state where he has campaigned, his numbers have fallen off a cliff every time he's been seen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
This is must win for McCain. he has to make up the delegate deficit and keep his name up front for Super Tuesday.

This is more of a must win for Romney. He is, like Obama, facing an uphill climb in national polls, and this is his last chance to claim that whole momentum thing and put himself firmly ensconced in the front runner role.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
This is more of a must win for Romney. He is, like Obama, facing an uphill climb in national polls, and this is his last chance to claim that whole momentum thing and put himself firmly ensconced in the front runner role.

Yeah, I tend to agree, I think Romney needs this more than McCain.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)

Romney is actually the leader in delegates right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Romney is actually the leader in delegates right now.

While this is true...it doesn't mean much right now and you know that. Not when McCain has a strong lead in the national polls and we're a week from 22 states voting, essentially a national primary. His delegate lead is nothing if he can't even up the polling in the Feb 5 states.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
While this is true...it doesn't mean much right now and you know that. Not when McCain has a strong lead in the national polls and we're a week from 22 states voting, essentially a national primary. His delegate lead is nothing if he can't even up the polling in the Feb 5 states.

Republicans are the fall in line party. If Romney wins Florida, all of those polls for ST change quickly. If McCain wins ST becomes a route.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Republicans are the fall in line party. If Romney wins Florida, all of those polls for ST change quickly. If McCain wins ST becomes a route.

In other words, FL is more important for Romney, because if he doesn't win it the race is over, while if he does win it, he has a shot to make up that 10 point deficit, but McCain is still not finished because of the lead he already has. My point exactly :cheers

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
In other words, FL is more important for Romney, because if he doesn't win it the race is over, while if he does win it, he has a shot to make up that 10 point deficit, but McCain is still not finished because of the lead he already has. My point exactly :cheers

But McCain is still behind. Its more important for the guy who is losing.

Ok so who's the favorite in the polls to win in Florida b/w Romney and McCain?

I was reading a little yesterday about Romney campaigning about his record with the economy compared to McCain's "Commander in Chief" stance.

He needed to be more honest after the debacle in Iowa.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Ok so who's the favorite in the polls to win in Florida b/w Romney and McCain?

Like 8 Florida polls came out today. It comes out to something like Romney 31, McCain 29. Basically right now it's a tossup according to the polling data. Turnout could easily decide things.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
I was reading a little yesterday about Romney campaigning about his record with the economy compared to McCain's "Commander in Chief" stance.

Basically Romney is saying that McCain is liberal. Touting the New Yorks times support of McCain and his work in the Senate with Dems on immigration and campaign finance reform. Romney points out that McCain voted against Bush tax cuts, therefore Romney can surmise that McCain likes high taxes.

McCain is calling Romney a flip-flopping, tax-raising, liberal. Oh, and McCain says Romney wanted to surrender in Iraq.

Edited by mr_genius

SurveyUSA's last 2 days of results:

"We can reveal that in the final totals it is McCain 31.6%, Romney 31.2%, but we will caution that those numbers are not materially different than the Romney 31.9%, McCain 31.3% numbers that SurveyUSA reported this morning. The movement is too small to be judged significant, and the best interpretation of the data and the trendlines is that the contest could go either way."

No predictions yet? We should have made some sort of pool out of predicting the primaries. Could have been fun. Oh well.

My picks for FL...

McCain: 33%

Romney: 32%

Huckabee: 19%

Giuliani: 11%

Paul: 5%

Huckabee surprises a bit with a 3rd place finish. Giuliani fails, and drops out immediately after. Romney and McCain in a very tight race - could go either way. I am guessing McCain by a hair.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
No predictions yet? We should have made some sort of pool out of predicting the primaries. Could have been fun. Oh well.

My picks for FL...

McCain: 33%

Romney: 32%

Huckabee: 19%

Giuliani: 11%

Paul: 5%

Huckabee surprises a bit with a 3rd place finish. Giuliani fails, and drops out immediately after. Romney and McCain in a very tight race - could go either way. I am guessing McCain by a hair.

"by a hair"... nice pun :P

I think McCain will tap into his 178 years of life experience and snake out a win.

I think he'll put up the best resistence against the Dem candidate anyway.

First 10% in from Florida for the GOP...

McCain: 34%

Romney: 30%

Giuliani: 18%

Huckabee: 13%

Paul: 3%

Thompson: 2%

So there may have been a large conservative turnout, but, they are apparently split between Huckabee and Romney.

For the Dems, which have no delegates at stake, and only Hillary campaigned (against the rules)... Clinton 52%, Obama 30%, Edwards 16%, Kucinich 1%.

BTW, there is an obvious potential for a bias in these results, as the Panhandle is a different time zone and is still voting as I type this. McCain's current lead is about 13,000 votes. If that doesn't go down rapidly, then it's Clinton/McCain.

Edited by Balta1701

Clinton's lead is disappearing, and I think she wins by only 10 points over Obama in a state where he didn't even campaign. That's not really a big help for her.

McCain's lead looks strong, but it kinda rides on what the panhandle is gonna say. Exit polls have this looking pretty even, but with a slight edge for McCain.