Suits

sox4lifeinPA

I only had one suit (for meetings, weddings and funerals) up until Sunday. It was a black, four button, shark skin suit. Modern, but nice.

I picked up a Dark Charcoal Grey Suit and a Navy Blue Pin Stripe both two buttons.

Any business folks around care to share what they've got?

Grey pinstripe, Black, charcoal, reg gray, blue, black pin. I just got two more "travel" suits from Mens Warehouse for 350. I use those to travel because I wear out suits very quickly. I try and keep my nicer >$1000 suits longer by not traveling in them and using them for more formal occasions.

most are 3 button.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
Grey pinstripe, Black, charcoal, reg gray, blue, black pin. I just got two more "travel" suits from Mens Warehouse for 350. I use those to travel because I wear out suits very quickly. I try and keep my nicer >$1000 suits longer by not traveling in them and using them for more formal occasions.

most are 3 button.

I think suit buying is an art that I have no skill in. I'm happy with my picks, though.

I got mine from Men's Warehouse. good price, nice looking. I don't have to wear mine too often...and there's no way I'm ever spending 1k on a suit.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
I think suit buying is an art that I have no skill in. I'm happy with my picks, though.

I got mine from Men's Warehouse. good price, nice looking. I don't have to wear mine too often...and there's no way I'm ever spending 1k on a suit.

Mens warehouse is good for quick good value suits, I get alot there. Check out Macy's once in awile though, they will have good designer ones on sale.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
Mens warehouse is good for quick good value suits, I get alot there. Check out Macy's once in awile though, they will have good designer ones on sale.

even for 6'3" 290lb doofs like me?

btw, I'm sure the 1k suit looks aweome on you, I'm just not sure I could buy one.

I have 3 suits.

All are pinstriped, I love my pinstripes. And all are black, 1 salesperson had the nerve to call me an undertaker, when I told him I wanted a dark suit.

I've had 2 for 2 and a half years, and they're not in the best condition.

I got 1 just before XMas for $450, Studio Italia, came with 2 pairs of pants, so a decent deal. I have only worn it once though, at my Work XMas party, am really saving it for important occasions in the future.

I probably need to get another everyday suit though.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
I'll need to get one or two soon. How much should a cheaper one cost me?

Honestly a decent one will last a long time. Around $250 or so will get a decent suit at Macy's. I got a Ralph Lauren for $250 (on sale, but they always seem to be on sale) at Macys and it's pretty nice and will last 10 years...if I fit into it that long from now.

Obviously you could go to S&K and get 2 $75 suits, but they will wrinkle like hell and feel like sand paper. Don't bother.

Seriously, you won't find a decent suit for less than $100. Imho, anyway. And you'll often have to pay...eh, say $200-300. If you hit a good sale, less, but that's not always the case. And, I don't own any, but the RL suits at Macys do seem nice. (On sale now for low-$200s to $300. Maybe there's a coupon you could tack on, I'm not sure.) Some people love Jos A Bank, and they have a good clearance sale now, with suits from $100-200.

Absolutely must be 100% wool. Then decide on color, stripes/patterns, 2 or 3 button, the vent, flat front vs pleats, etc. Plus, obviously, the fit and the quality of the fabric. Good luck.

I've got 5 or 6 suits, but one is different than the others - its a custom tailored suit. I wouldn't go getting a bunch of them, they are very expensive, but I've had the thing now for like 8 years and it still rocks. There is really nothing like a suit and shirt that were literally made to fit you personally. They tend to handle body changes a lot better too (gaining or losing weight, muscle, etc.), because its got just the right give everywhere.

The only reason I even did it and could afford it is because a co-worker's father was a custom tailor in Hong Kong. He came over and took suit details for a whole bunch of us from the office, and they are a lot cheaper (or were anyway) in Hong Kong (even though it was Italian material). Dude did all the measuring, I selected materials from samples, he went back, had the suit made, and shipped it to the states.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
My nice one is charcoal gray double breasted from Brooks Brothers.

My next one I was thinking about going to Macy's and trying to find a good designer suit on sale that's three button, probably black or navy.

I personally think charcoal is king but i want some variety.

I love me some Brooks Brothers. Too bad I can't afford anything in the store unless it's like 90% off.

I've got probably 4 suits, mostly CK or something of that ilk from Macy's. They really do have some great deals ($250-$300/suit). In a pinch I recently had to get a solid black one at Van Heusen. Their selection was pretty far from stylish (looked to be more for the...uhhh... aged individuals), but I got another jacket while I was there that I really like. On the whole, I'd stay away from Van Heusen.