RISP

Soxfest

But here's the other side of the token...that type of number will eventually always regress towards the mean. This year's team is hitting .282 overall with RISP. The league average is about .285. They simply will not hit sub.200 in that category for the rest of the year, no matter how much people seem to think they will. Last year, the Sox were the worst in baseball hitting with RISP and still hit .243.

I believe we are still in this battle. The Central is underperforming so far this season and is simply too good to continue this slide and that means the Sox also. We are now getting the chances to score and it will be just a matter of time before they snap out of it

Taking a quick look at the title, I almost thought it said RIP.

That might be the post of the year.

People get mad when posters over-react, but good teams do not lose 4 straight games to the Toronto Blue Jays. Way to show some pride, lifeless White Sox.

What a joke.

As expected, shuffling the lineup did no good.

The Sox have done a good job of lowering expectations. My only hope as far as the Sox contending for a playoff spot is we kick ass against teams from our suddenly mediocre division, which actually is possible. We shall see.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
But here's the other side of the token...that type of number will eventually always regress towards the mean. This year's team is hitting .282 overall with RISP. The league average is about .285. They simply will not hit sub.200 in that category for the rest of the year, no matter how much people seem to think they will. Last year, the Sox were the worst in baseball hitting with RISP and still hit .243.

This isn't defined probability, though. There is nothing that guarantees a regression to the mean like there is in flipping a coin or drawing numbers. Its possible that the team can suck enough to continue hitting below .200 w/ RISP. Is it likely? No, they'll pick it back up somewhat. But its very possible that they hit worse than last year given how bad they've looked lately.

Getting swept in a four-game series is pretty effin bad. Reminds me of the double-header I unforunately attended last year against Minny, where we got shelled in double-digits both games. It was the definition of corpseball.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
This isn't defined probability, though. There is nothing that guarantees a regression to the mean like there is in flipping a coin or drawing numbers. Its possible that the team can suck enough to continue hitting below .200 w/ RISP. Is it likely? No, they'll pick it back up somewhat. But its very possible that they hit worse than last year given how bad they've looked lately.

It's not defined, but reasonable expectations over a season with 10,000+ total ABs for a team is that they won't continue to perform so poorly.