Sen. Ted Kennedy

YASNY

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 20, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_...8TeM_A88VWs0NUE

There is plenty to dislike about Kennedy. There is also plenty to admire in his service to the Senate. Let's all hope for the best for the senior Senator from Massachusetts.

I have to agree with Kerry....when Teddy speaks he brings a tear to my eye as well...though i'm sure it's for a completely different reason.

I can't stand Ted Kennedy's political ideology, but I sure as hell would never wish cancer on anyone. The man served our country and at least deserves respect for that, no matter his (in my opinion political) faults.

:pray for Ted.

I don't care one bit about or for Teddy. I feel sorry for his family, but that is about the extent of it. I don't know Ted in any kind of familiar sense, and the political stuff I DO know about him, I hate. Yes, some members of his family have given alot to this country, but others, like Teddy, have been amply rewarded for whatever contribution he may have provided. I am not wishing him ill, or dead, but I am not going to feign sympathy for him either. As for respect, that is earned thru actions and decided by each individual as to whether or not to give. Larry Craig served our country, and he doesn't deserve or get my respect. That goes for Teddy as well. Sorry teddy, sucks to be you, but I don't care. Hopefully for you, you will retire and spend whatever time you have left with your family, and I mean that in a non-political way.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
maybe Ted can hop on down to Cuba with Mikey Moore and get some of that great Cuban healthcare I've been hearing so much about......

Actually this highlights that even with the best health care money and power and gain, some stuff just sneaks up and kicks you in the balls. But clearly he is better off than the average worker in American, and for them, a trip to Cuba would be an improvement.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Actually this highlights that even with the best health care money and power and gain, some stuff just sneaks up and kicks you in the balls. But clearly he is better off than the average worker in American, and for them, a trip to Cuba would be an improvement.

Actually, a trip to Cuba is a drastic drop in health care quality for the average worker. DRASTIC drop.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 21, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Actually, a trip to Cuba is a drastic drop in health care quality for the average worker. DRASTIC drop.

Depemds if they have health insurance or not. Depends on what treatment their HMO will authorize. Bottom line, they are probably financially crippled at the end.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 21, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Depemds if they have health insurance or not. Depends on what treatment their HMO will authorize. Bottom line, they are probably financially crippled at the end.

the average worker has health insurance. but hey, if you want to go to Cuba to see a doctor go for it. i won't try to stop you :lol:

In state-sponsored health care, an average person in teddy's position would take 6 months to even get to see a doctor for treatment, and by then he would be already dead. Or if he did get to see someone before he died, they sure wouldn't want to 'waste' their resources on a 70+ year old man who is of dubious health at best.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
In state-sponsored health care, an average person in teddy's position would take 6 months to even get to see a doctor for treatment, and by then he would be already dead. Or if he did get to see someone before he died, they sure wouldn't want to 'waste' their resources on a 70+ year old man who is of dubious health at best.

Contrast that to one of millions of working Americans without insurance?

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Contrast that to one of millions of working Americans without insurance?

Who can walk right into a hospital and still get seen for free anyway (as a government entity = public hospital)?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 21, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Who can walk right into a hospital and still get seen for free anyway (as a government entity = public hospital)?

For emergencies. Which is a problem. It over taxes our emergency rooms with minor stuff. They ain't getting radiation treatments.

Gliomas are the worst. Chemo will not help and radiation will only inhibit the growth, for a while. My dad was diagnoosed in Dec. 1995 with one and passed on Thanksgiving 2006. Although not a apinful cancer, it was horrible to watch. First, he lost the ability to talk, then eat, then walk, then sight. Eventually slipping into a coma before passing. I cannot see Teddy continuing as a U.S Senator for more than 6 more months before he loses some faculties and would not be able to serve his constituency. With that I wish him and his family the best, my prayers are with you. :pray

Link

Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-MA) "has made clear to confidants that when his time is up, he wants his Senate seat to stay in the family -- with his wife, Vicki," according to the New York Daily News.

"Multiple sources in Massachusetts with close ties to the liberal lion say his wife of 16 years has long been his choice to continue carrying the family flame in the Senate."

I like my dynasties to be athletic, not political. But I suppose this'll be a foregone conclusion, since Ted Kennedy still owns Massachussetts.

Edit: this is, of course, independent of any personal judgements. In terms of personal judgement, I wish Kennedy comfort and wellness in the coming weeks, months and years.

Each comment is autonomous of the other, from the political to the personal.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)

Anyone know how the replacement process is in Mass.? Does the governor appoint someone or special elections? Personally, regardless of party, I don't give a rat's ass who HE wants to have the seat. If his term has more than half left, there should be a special election to fill the seat. otherwise, the governor should appoint someone.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Anyone know how the replacement process is in Mass.? Does the governor appoint someone or special elections? Personally, regardless of party, I don't give a rat's ass who HE wants to have the seat. If his term has more than half left, there should be a special election to fill the seat. otherwise, the governor should appoint someone.

Answered my own question.

The states of Oregon, Wisconsin and Massachusetts do not allow the governor to appoint, but rather require special elections to fill a vacancy.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/histor...s_appointed.htm

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)

Dems changed rules in 2004 fearing Romney would appoint an R.