Alexei full-time at second base?

rokimar

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexei also blew a hit-and-run last night. He's still got a lot of learning to do, but he does have a lot of talent.

The White Sox seem to have a plethora of 2nd base talent that will be ready in 2009 - Ramirez, Richar, Getz... but none of them are really ready THIS year. I'd still like to see the Sox make an offer for Durham, who is an FA after this season so he's just a rental, if the team is still in it come July. I'd think that a deal involving one of Richar or Getz and one or two pitching prospects would be workable, given the rental situation and the Giants' desire to rebuild.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:42 AM)
Alexei also blew a hit-and-run last night. He's still got a lot of learning to do, but he does have a lot of talent.

The White Sox seem to have a plethora of 2nd base talent that will be ready in 2009 - Ramirez, Richar, Getz... but none of them are really ready THIS year. I'd still like to see the Sox make an offer for Durham, who is an FA after this season so he's just a rental, if the team is still in it come July. I'd think that a deal involving one of Richar or Getz and one or two pitching prospects would be workable, given the rental situation and the Giants' desire to rebuild.

SS, 2b, and utility are all open next season. Ramirez is our SS next season and Richar our 2b.

Living in VA, I don't get to see that many games. Just WGN and national broadcasts. But I did see some of the West Coast games, and two of the home games against the Angels, and Ramirez really looked good to me. He seems like he's starting to lay off the breaking balls in the dirt, while he's smoking the balls he can reach. The Angels made some very nice defensive plays on him.

I see no need for Uribe on the team. I guess he's better defensive insurance than Ozuna if Cabrera got hurt, but is that worth a roster spot? Having a pinch runner seems more valuable.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
SS, 2b, and utility are all open next season. Ramirez is our SS next season and Richar our 2b.

Utility is utility, I'm not concerned. And I think you'll see O-Cab get hotter at the plate, and sign a new contract during the season ala Dye/MB. Just my opinion. I think Ramirez/Richar are the candidates for 2B.

But certainly, the Sox would be in a better position to make the type of trades I mentioned if they signed O-Cab first, which they may do. Or, do a deal that didn't involve Richar/Getz. Maybe just Getz.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)
Living in VA, I don't get to see that many games. Just WGN and national broadcasts. But I did see some of the West Coast games, and two of the home games against the Angels, and Ramirez really looked good to me. He seems like he's starting to lay off the breaking balls in the dirt, while he's smoking the balls he can reach. The Angels made some very nice defensive plays on him.

I see no need for Uribe on the team. I guess he's better defensive insurance than Ozuna if Cabrera got hurt, but is that worth a roster spot? Having a pinch runner seems more valuable.

Does Getz have a lot of speed? He seems like a well rounded player. Utility role?

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Does Getz have a lot of speed? He seems like a well rounded player. Utility role?

He's been labeled by many as a future utility guy. He's hitting .301 with a .360 OBP so far in AAA this year, plus a little power (more than his usual in fact), for an .820 OPS. Last year in AA he hit .299, .382 OBP, but a little less power. He is primarily a secondbaseman, but he also plays a little SS each year. He appears to have some speed, stealing double digits in bases each of the last two seasons.

I think its possible he may even be future starter material, but its hard to say. His numbers have been solid and consistent-to-improved the last few seasons as he progessed up the system.

Alexei is such a fun player to watch I would love to see him there full time...but I dont know just because he is exciting doesnt validate him getting a full time job.In a year or so he will get his time to shine,now is probably not it.

I believe we only signed Alexei for 3 years. That might be the reason they didn't stick him in AAA. Richar and Getz have options so I would want Alexei getting the playing time over Richar.

Does Richar fit the utility role? He was brought up as a SS and played SS in Charlote last night. This way we can stick Alexei at SS and Richar 2b next season.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 27, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
I believe we only signed Alexei for 3 years. That might be the reason they didn't stick him in AAA. Richar and Getz have options so I would want Alexei getting the playing time over Richar.

Does Richar fit the utility role? He was brought up as a SS and played SS in Charlote last night. This way we can stick Alexei at SS and Richar 2b next season.

4 years for Alexei. Richar isn't great defensively, he shows some stellar stuff at times, but is erratic. I don't know enough about Getz' defense to know how he compares in that area.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Or "You're welcome" since he was born in California and speaks English as his primary language.

There are a ton of people that were born in California and dont speak english.And to be exact I think Carlos speaks "Whiteboy" not English. :P