Sox hitters need more regular rest

VAfan

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
After tonight's game, do y'all still want to defend our offense? We made a starter with an ERA north of 8 runs a game look like Cy Young.

How many guys struck out on the same pitch, all of which were out of the strike zone? Now, I think the guy pitched a good game. But we needed to lay off his slider until he brought it up, because most of the time it was a ball.

As for Ozuna, you guys must be kidding. His OPS is below .600. Anything south of .600 is just worthless offensively.

As for the middle infield, Uribe can cover it defensively. If both Cabrera and Ramirez get hurt, then we're screwed anyway. Pablo Ozuna isn't going to save us. We have middle infielders in AAA to call up in an emergency. I'd take the chance that they would produce over the certainty that Osuna won't produce.

And we don't need LEFT HANDERS. We need another right handed bat. Did you see what a bad lefty did to us tonight? He killed us. Joe Crede absolutely can't hit lefties this year. And plenty of other guys appear to suck at it too.

Again, I'll take Fields because he's the only guy in our system that has proven he can hit major league pitching. If we had someone else, fine. Name him and I'll be happy to bring him up instead. But none of you can sit there and tell me our offense is fine. It's not.

The Tigers are awake. They've won 5 in a row. They're coming. Another tailspin like we had earlier and we won't be in first place at the All Star break, much less September. Now, I think we can pull out of this funk, but I think it's going to take the shake up that Ozzie called for, and not just the tirade, but the actual movement of ballplayers.

We're playing with a 23-man roster. We need 25 guys all pulling their weight if we want to be playing in October this year.

Ok Your right we should call up fields, can you make the call? can you make it happen? he will make all the difference, YOU CERTAINLY CONVINCED ME. He is a god. He is tearing up the minors. I know you will play him all over the infield and outfield and DH. He is a jack of all trades, he is great at every position. Please get this done, so I do not have to here this again. how long will you keep this up? Lets call it your way. your right, fields should be up, what else would you like? Please tell us. who should be traded? who else should be called up? what else should we do?

Edited by quickman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was frustrating tonight that when DeLaHoser did throw a fastball to our righties, they just whiffed or fouled it off. Then they were helpless, had NO CHANCE against that crap slider or offspeed in the dirt.

Why couldn't our guys hit his fastball???

Hawk claims it was in the low to mid 90s. Do we tip our caps to DeLaHoser?

I realize we also couldn't hit their relievers. Why can't we hit fastballs early in the count?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
It was frustrating tonight that when DeLaHoser did throw a fastball to our righties, they just whiffed or fouled it off. Then they were helpless, had NO CHANCE against that crap slider or offspeed in the dirt.

Why couldn't our guys hit his fastball???

Hawk claims it was in the low to mid 90s. Do we tip our caps to DeLaHoser?

I realize we also couldn't hit their relievers. Why can't we hit fastballs early in the count?

better question, why don't we use the count to our advantage, we swung at some awful pitches tonight. Take some, have some damn disipline. Again I ahve never seen a team collectively turn on and turn off like this team does, and its day to day. Tommorrow they could score ten runs, or get only two hits. I have followed the sox since 68, this is by far the most frustrating team I have watched, because they do have the horses to win and the pitching is there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Didn't Paulie take some pitches in his horrid at bats? He actually walked once.

But I understand what you are saying.

as a team we need to collectively go up and be selective. Thats how we won on friday. It really seems like we lose focus from night to night.

After tonight's game, do y'all still want to defend our offense? We made a starter with an ERA north of 8 runs a game look like Cy Young.

How many guys struck out on the same pitch, all of which were out of the strike zone? Now, I think the guy pitched a good game. But we needed to lay off his slider until he brought it up, because most of the time it was a ball.

As for Ozuna, you guys must be kidding. His OPS is below .600. Anything south of .600 is just worthless offensively.

As for the middle infield, Uribe can cover it defensively. If both Cabrera and Ramirez get hurt, then we're screwed anyway. Pablo Ozuna isn't going to save us. We have middle infielders in AAA to call up in an emergency. I'd take the chance that they would produce over the certainty that Osuna won't produce.

And we don't need LEFT HANDERS. We need another right handed bat. Did you see what a bad lefty did to us tonight? He killed us. Joe Crede absolutely can't hit lefties this year. And plenty of other guys appear to suck at it too.

Again, I'll take Fields because he's the only guy in our system that has proven he can hit major league pitching. If we had someone else, fine. Name him and I'll be happy to bring him up instead. But none of you can sit there and tell me our offense is fine. It's not.

The Tigers are awake. They've won 5 in a row. They're coming. Another tailspin like we had earlier and we won't be in first place at the All Star break, much less September. Now, I think we can pull out of this funk, but I think it's going to take the shake up that Ozzie called for, and not just the tirade, but the actual movement of ballplayers.

We're playing with a 23-man roster. We need 25 guys all pulling their weight if we want to be playing in October this year.

Sigh.

1. No one is defending the offense. But there is a reason why Williams approached Lofton, they need a left handed bat, they need speed, they need a guy who walks as much as he strikes out. While it is debateable if that describes Lofton, it certainly does not describe Josh Fields.

2. Yesterday you said no one made the case why Ozuna has value. Then I posted as to why he does, and why he is important to this team. Now you come back with "you guys must be kidding" and mention OPS for a backup guy. Again, his value isn't hinged on OPS, no matter how many times you bring it up.

3. Are you following Fields at all this year, or are you banking on that .244 average he had last year, and all those strikeouts too? You mention how bad the team looked last night while striking out, and your solution is bringing up a guy who has struggled against AAA pitching, and oh, he strikes out once every three at bats. Hmmm. Now that just doesn't seem to make much sense, but maybe it's because I don't have a low number like you do.

When they have a bad day vs. a righthanded pitcher, what's your angle then?

For the umpteenth time, I don't have it in for Fields per se. Name someone better, and I'll be happy that they bring him up. I just don't see anyone down in AAA that has proven to hit major league pitching. Field's OPS last year was just short of .800. He hit more than 20 HRs. His average, while not great, was decent. And his splits against lefties were good. Better than Joe Crede this year and Jim Thome historically.

As for Ozuna, you really aren't kidding? The guy adds absolutely nothing to this club. He can't hit, so he weakens the team every time you give someone a day off. He's not better defensively than any player he subs for. And he's not even fast enough to steal a base as a pinch runner. At least Uribe is a plus defender at SS and 2B, and he has some pop in his bat on the rare occasions he hits the ball. Ozuna is a zero in my mind. A complete waste of a roster space.

Two weeks ago, Ozzie was fed up and called for changes. I don't think it was just a ruse. I think he meant it, but Kenny Williams wasn't willing to comply. Now, with Konerko hurt in another spot, they'll have to make a move. I think it could actually help us, because while Konerko was trying, he has really been an anchor in the middle of the lineup. An occasional hit here and there, but not good enough for the #4 hitter.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 06:54 AM)
whatever... for the upteenth time.

Why do you keep antagonizing the subject? Your statement has been made, we all know you disagree with the premise. Now back off and let it be.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
Why do you keep antagonizing the subject? Your statement has been made, we all know you disagree with the premise. Now back off and let it be.

first don't tell me what to do, second that was my way of backing off. it clearly seemed like he was making his point stronger. I simply said whatever. Why do you care? Why does this bother you?

first don't tell me what to do, second that was my way of backing off. it clearly seemed like he was making his point stronger. I simply said whatever. Why do you care? Why does this bother you?

There seems to be a pack mentality on this board. Watch your back my friend.

For the umpteenth time, I don't have it in for Fields per se. Name someone better, and I'll be happy that they bring him up. I just don't see anyone down in AAA that has proven to hit major league pitching. Field's OPS last year was just short of .800. He hit more than 20 HRs. His average, while not great, was decent. And his splits against lefties were good. Better than Joe Crede this year and Jim Thome historically.

As for Ozuna, you really aren't kidding? The guy adds absolutely nothing to this club. He can't hit, so he weakens the team every time you give someone a day off. He's not better defensively than any player he subs for. And he's not even fast enough to steal a base as a pinch runner. At least Uribe is a plus defender at SS and 2B, and he has some pop in his bat on the rare occasions he hits the ball. Ozuna is a zero in my mind. A complete waste of a roster space.

Two weeks ago, Ozzie was fed up and called for changes. I don't think it was just a ruse. I think he meant it, but Kenny Williams wasn't willing to comply. Now, with Konerko hurt in another spot, they'll have to make a move. I think it could actually help us, because while Konerko was trying, he has really been an anchor in the middle of the lineup. An occasional hit here and there, but not good enough for the #4 hitter.

I agree with you on Konerko but disagree on Ozuna. Also, breaking news from the minor league section, I guess Fields was put on the DL again, which is a shame. But regardless, he won't be called up.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
There seems to be a pack mentality on this board. Watch your back my friend.

what does that mean? its a board, I am sure VAFAN is old enough to take care of himself, he doesn't need a lacky.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
I agree with you on Konerko but disagree on Ozuna. Also, breaking news from the minor league section, I guess Fields was put on the DL again, which is a shame. But regardless, he won't be called up.

Well, it is too bad he is on the DL but at least we won't have to hear his name for awhile.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
what does that mean? its a board, I am sure VAFAN is old enough to take care of himself, he doesn't need a lacky.

You have done everything short of call him stupid in every one of yours and 29andPoplar replies. VAFan doesnt need any lacky, and I certainly am not any lacky, but your tone and 29s tone in this thread is condescending and completely offbase. I have teased VAFan in the past about his many different "break up the team, do this do that" posts, but never to this degree. Whatever, you guys are gonna do your ripjobs until one of you takes your suspended leave for taking it too far.

29andPoplar, you love to talk about the pack mentality, which is pretty funny watching you and quickman take a stance on a thread and take turns ripping on the author and the subject.

You have done everything short of call him stupid in every one of yours and 29andPoplar replies. VAFan doesnt need any lacky, and I certainly am not any lacky, but your tone and 29s tone in this thread is condescending and completely offbase. I have teased VAFan in the past about his many different "break up the team, do this do that" posts, but never to this degree. Whatever, you guys are gonna do your ripjobs until one of you takes your suspended leave for taking it too far.

29andPoplar, you love to talk about the pack mentality, which is pretty funny watching you and quickman take a stance on a thread and take turns ripping on the author and the subject.

Nothing personal kyyle23, but maybe the ignore function is a good idea since quickman and my responses and perhaps even our mere presence seem to annoy you.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
Nothing personal kyyle23, but maybe the ignore function is a good idea since quickman and my responses and perhaps even our mere presence seem to annoy you.

And maybe you need to read a little better. Drop it. Last warning, and that applies to everyone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
The personal comments stop now, or we close the thread. Thank you for your support.

North side, I can certainly appreciate your comment, I have looked at my posts in this thread and i do not feel I have said anything wrong. Although I do not agree with VAFAN and thought he was the person who keeps bringing up the same stuff, I did not call him any derrogatory names, at least I don't think so. I realize that there are people who do not like what I post, and that is there right. That said, I jsut dissagreed with VAFAN. I don't necessarily feel that I have targeted him or anyone else in the past.

Northside, glad to have you watching. You can see from the early part of this that I thought a few guys crossed the line. Now they seem to be falling over themselves to say they didn't. Whatever. What really clinched it for me was reading their statements on other threads about the need to bring someone up, when this thread got started first and you would think from reading the comments that it was a crazy idea!

Anyway, back to the topic. Fields on the DL? Too bad. Still would have been the best choice in my mind. Not necessarily for Konerko's replacement, but to get rid of Ozuna and bring in a right hander who can rest Crede and sub for Jim Thome. That's still sitting there as a need.

But I also agree with the poster above who says this is a transitional year and the Sox aren't going to fix their offensive woes with a single substitute. I'm just hoping for enough marginal improvement to win 4-5 more games this year, which might be the difference between making the postseason and sitting it out again. With our pitching, we've probably already lost 4-5 games or more this year that a hit or two would have won.

Northside, glad to have you watching. You can see from the early part of this that I thought a few guys crossed the line. Now they seem to be falling over themselves to say they didn't. Whatever. What really clinched it for me was reading their statements on other threads about the need to bring someone up, when this thread got started first and you would think from reading the comments that it was a crazy idea!

Anyway, back to the topic. Fields on the DL? Too bad. Still would have been the best choice in my mind. Not necessarily for Konerko's replacement, but to get rid of Ozuna and bring in a right hander who can rest Crede and sub for Jim Thome. That's still sitting there as a need.

But I also agree with the poster above who says this is a transitional year and the Sox aren't going to fix their offensive woes with a single substitute. I'm just hoping for enough marginal improvement to win 4-5 more games this year, which might be the difference between making the postseason and sitting it out again. With our pitching, we've probably already lost 4-5 games or more this year that a hit or two would have won.

You should also ask Northside about my prediction of how you'd come back to this thread and post from "on high". You are like clockwork, very predictable, I'll give you that.

No one is falling all over themselves. Clearly the team needs a shot in the arm, I have said that repeatedly. Not sure where you're coming up with your conclusion that anyone thinks it's a crazy idea, then again, some of the conclusions you come up with are, well, shall we say slightly off kilter.

There's a need for a lefthanded hitter with speed. At least Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen think so. Well, they brought up DeWayne Wise. Personally I wish they'd gone outside, but DeWayne Wise is a lefthanded hitter with speed. Who knew that Kenny and Ozzie would disagree with your conclusions and agree with others' conclusions. And Ozuna is still here! Uncanny.