6/26 games

fathom

Charlotte over Norfolk 6-5.

Bourgeois had 3 hits and 2 RBIs. His batting average is up to .281. Pretty amazing given his rough start.

Richar had 2 hits and reached the .250 mark.

Loiza blew.

Haeger gave up 5 hits and 6 walks in 5 innings but only gave up two runs. He got the win.

Birmingham loses to Mississippi 6-5.

Poreda gave up 6 runs in 6 innings... but here's the thing... his pattern this year has been to have a bad inning early in a game. Tonight he gave up 4 runs in the 1st and then was decent the rest of his outing.

Cole Armstrong had 3 hits. He's been pretty hot lately. .351 in his last 10 games.

Winston-Salem lost to Lynchburg 4-3.

John Ely gave up 3 runs in 6 innings... a decent outing.

Henry Mabee got promoted to W-S. He pitched pretty well in relief but took the loss.

Estee Harris had 3 hits including a homerun.

Kannapolis beat Greensboro 10-5.

Kannapolis is warming up offensively.

Dale Mollenhauer went 4-5.

Christian Marerro went 2-4 with a homerun.

Miranda went 2-5 and had 3 RBIs. His average at Kanny is now up to .298.

Great Falls beat Missoula 7-5.

Kent Gerst went 3-5. Looking very good so far.

Jesus Avila went 2-5. Batting .355

Mike Grace and Doug Thennis hit homeruns.

Daniel Hudson looking studly in his second start: 4 innings; 0 runs; 1 hit; 7 K's; 1 BB

Bristol beat Bluefield 8-7.

Po Yu Lin with a good start: 6 innings; 2 runs; 3 hits; 4 K's; and 1 BB.

Offensive star of the game was RF Jordan Kendall who was 3-5 with 3 RBIs.

C Kevin Dubler got his first hit tonight, in his second game since joining the team, and had an RBI.

CF Brandon Short was 2-2 with a walk and an RBI.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
I was told Poreda was bad (6 innings, 6 runs) but 2008 draft pick Hudson was excellent (4 inning, 7 K)

Rough first inning, but he picked up after that. The Sox are clearly working on a few things with Poreda and long-term it will really be beneficial for him. As long as he stays healthy I have no doubt he'll make an impact at the major league level, the question is whether he'll be able to develop the secondary stuff to become a starter of if he'll end up being a reliever. Regardless, he has a future in the bigs as long as he stays healthy.

Hudson was one of many rock solid picks by the Sox. I hope the developmental people in the org can do there job because the past two years the Sox have actually started collecting some "raw" arms and now they'll need to teach and develop those arms. The system still has a long long way to go, but they had to start somewhere and I've liked the approach they've taken, although it still isn't perfect in my eyes (if they sign Upchurch and Danks I'll be a lot more pleased though, haha).

I'm not concerned with Aaron Poreda. As long as the folks in B'Ham and the Sox are saying that he's developing his off-speed stuff and he is "on schedule", it's fine with me.

Does anyone have any info on the Upchurch front, as far as the Sox trying to sign him? Seems to be a quality arm based on what I've read here and BA...hope the Sox can get him signed.

Mabee was promoted, but Texeira is staying. So, will that mean that Mabee will be a setup guy for Tex, or will Tex be promoted too?

Also, why is Po Yu Lin repeating Bristol? I know he showed up in ST in 2007 with disappointing velocity, but his numbers at Bristol were pretty solid. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't sent to Kanny.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
Mabee was promoted, but Texeira is staying. So, will that mean that Mabee will be a setup guy for Tex, or will Tex be promoted too?

Also, why is Po Yu Lin repeating Bristol? I know he showed up in ST in 2007 with disappointing velocity, but his numbers at Bristol were pretty solid. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't sent to Kanny.

Jon Link is lights out for B'ham, so I don't see Texeira being promoted just yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
Rough first inning, but he picked up after that. The Sox are clearly working on a few things with Poreda and long-term it will really be beneficial for him. As long as he stays healthy I have no doubt he'll make an impact at the major league level, the question is whether he'll be able to develop the secondary stuff to become a starter of if he'll end up being a reliever. Regardless, he has a future in the bigs as long as he stays healthy.

Hudson was one of many rock solid picks by the Sox. I hope the developmental people in the org can do there job because the past two years the Sox have actually started collecting some "raw" arms and now they'll need to teach and develop those arms. The system still has a long long way to go, but they had to start somewhere and I've liked the approach they've taken, although it still isn't perfect in my eyes (if they sign Upchurch and Danks I'll be a lot more pleased though, haha).

The basic problem with Poreda in the 1st inning yesterday was command of the FB (two walks); in order to throw strikes, he had to take a little off (90 to 94 mph) and was aiming it. He was always behind in the count and didn't have a chance to use the offspeed stuff.

After the 1st inning, he was able to establish the offspeed stuff (20 to 25 offspeed pitches for the game). He got several outs on change ups (Ks and pop ups) and a nice K on Kotsay with his slider.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
fantastic, just fantastic

The funny thing is, how'd he get a name like that being from the Dominican Republic? Also, there's the guy who plays for Great Falls whose name is another way of spelling a self inflicting torture device.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
The funny thing is, how'd he get a name like that being from the Dominican Republic? Also, there's the guy who plays for Great Falls whose name is another way of spelling a self inflicting torture device.

Don't know or care how he got the name, just glad that there's a man like him around.