Jesse Helms dies

EvilMonkey

Jesse Helms, you rat bastard, burn in hell.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/4...5738/621/546543

Please Excuse Me While I Dance Upon His Grave

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/4...0893/615/546533

A moment of anachronism for Jesse Helms death

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/4...6260/645/546503

Racist, homophobe Jesse Helms is dead

http://www.americablog.com/2008/07/racist-...ms-is-dead.html

What class.

quote the comments:

" Completely tasteless (25+ / 0-)

and mean.

Delete this piece of s***!"

places like dailykos are open for diaries, they open their web site and allow others to post their essays and others to comment on them, where people rate them. This writer did this clearly knowing he would be in trouble, not the "I'm glad that with my only dkos life to live, I spent it on this"

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
How you live affects how people react when you die.

Yup.

The last blog cited is pretty objective. He was racist. He was homophobic. It's not classless to report what a man actually said and believed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
How you live affects how people react when you die.

Well then I can't wait for the posts when Teddy finally croaks.

Or Jessie Jackson

Or Al Sharpton

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Yup.

The last blog cited is pretty objective. He was racist. He was homophobic. It's not classless to report what a man actually said and believed.

That's true. But be prepared when Ted Kennedy dies to hear a lot about that girl he let drown to save his own ass. Perhaps T.Kennedy will be burning in hell with Jessie Helms and both right and left wing can dance on some graves. Whats worse, being racist or deciding your political career is more important than your friends life?

Personally, I think it's tasteless to be cheering for people to die. Oh well.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
That's true. But be prepared when Ted Kennedy dies to hear a lot about that girl he let drown to save his own ass. Perhaps T.Kennedy will be burning in hell with Jessie Helms and both right and left wing can dance on some graves. Whats worse, being racist or deciding your political career is more important than your friends life?

Personally, I think it's tasteless to be cheering for people to die. Oh well.

You say it's tasteless, but you're gloating about Chappaquiddick and Kennedy going to hell. Naturally.

I was talking about one particular blog that was cited. One that didn't mention Helms burning in hell or dancing on graves (it did little more than quote his own words and summarize them, accurately, as "hateful"). I certainly didn't say anything celebratory about Helms's death. You brought the death-party into the discussion, in looking forward to the death of a living Senator.

If you think it's tasteless, maybe, I dunno, don't f***ing do it?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
You say it's tasteless, but you're gloating about Chappaquiddick and Kennedy going to hell. Naturally.

I was talking about one particular blog that was cited. One that didn't mention Helms burning in hell or dancing on graves (it did little more than quote his own words and summarize them, accurately, as "hateful"). I certainly didn't say anything celebratory about Helms's death. You brought the death-party into the discussion, in looking forward to the death of a living Senator.

I don't think there was any gloating there. He said to be prepared for Chappaquiddick to come up, and that perhaps he will go to hell. Not quite the same.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Yeah, that classlessness clearly bothers you quite a bit.

I didn't mean that i would be the one to say things, but if how you lived defines what people say about you in death, then break out the popcorn for those 3, it should be really interesting.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
I don't think there was any gloating there. He said to be prepared for Chappaquiddick to come up, and that perhaps he will go to hell. Not quite the same.

Any person suggesting that another person will go to hell is gloating. And mentioning grave dancing, yeah, that's gloating.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)

No, I am not gloating about anything nor am I rooting for him to die. I was merely pointing out that this type of thing is in poor judgment and both sides do it; you seem to support the Helms gloating. I am sure you would not approve of any blog postings, which appear on the same day of Kennedy's death, which pointed out all the facts of the drowning Kennedy was involved in. You are obviously getting very angry now that your hypocritical stance has been called into question, so I think we should end this discussion.

And I really disliked Helms anyways, so arguing this is not something I want to do.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
I didn't mean that i would be the one to say things, but if how you lived defines what people say about you in death, then break out the popcorn for those 3, it should be really interesting.

Well, except you just did.

Again, you're bringing up "popcorn", like it's enjoyable, something to watch. I'm haven't said anything like that. And the last blog you complained about, again, did nothing but state facts.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
No, I am not gloating about anything nor am I rooting for him to die. I was merely pointing out that this type of thing is in poor judgment and both sides do it; you seem to support the Helms gloating. I am sure you would not approve of any blog postings, which appear on the same day of Kennedy's death, which pointed out all the facts of the drowning Kennedy was involved in. You are obviously getting very angry now that your hypocritical stance has been called into question, so I think we should end this discussion.

And I really disliked Helms anyways, so arguing this is not something I want to do.

Wrong on every count. I don't support the Helms gloating (I'm indifferent to it), I have no problem with blogs covering "the facts" of Chappaquiddick today, then, or ever, nor am I angry.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
It's shocking that people actually voted for this guy. He was pure hate. Adios Jesse.

I'm shocked people voted for him as well, but unless people are trying to revise history and making him out to be godlike in his career, how about just shutting up? (Not you, just people in general)

QUOTE (whitesox1976 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:58 PM)
Regardless what party a person if affliated with, people should show some respect when they die, wether they were liked or not.

It has very little to do with party, and a lot to do with Helms. You wouldn't have seen the same bile had DailyKos diaries been around when Goldwater passed. The diaries having to do with Buckley's death are another example.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 06:46 AM)
I'm shocked people voted for him as well, but unless people are trying to revise history and making him out to be godlike in his career, how about just shutting up? (Not you, just people in general)

Why start a thread about strong reactions to Helms's death if you aren't willing to have a discussion with people who have a strong reaction to Helms's death?

And for the record, "shutting up" is exactly what I did. I heard the news almost as soon as it broke, and I came to Soxtalk thinking I'd start a thread on it. But after thinking about it, I decided it was best to ignore the news. I did not want to respect or disrespect the man. (Which is, btw, what DailyKos did -- there was no actual story about Helms's death.) But I don't understand why you would start a thread like this if you are unwilling to deal with such posts.

News is news. Jesse Helms made news being a racist and homophobe. Ted Kennedy made news with Chappaquidick. In death, they should be brought up...considering these weren't small things. Now I don't know what good things either one of these guys did, but in fairness, the good should be mentioned as well.

Personally...I'm glad he's gone. That's one more hateful, angry person off this planet.