• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
I'll try to find some polls tonight that ask self-identifying tea party supporters their positions on social issues. You may very well be correct.

Here's a report on one survey that indicates the tea party is largely just Christian conservatives.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
In order to believe the following (after Obama ditched his horses*** idea to bill veterans' private insurance for injuries sustained in combat that he ditched almost as soon as it was thought of) you'd have to have literally never heard Obama speak on any topic related to the military, ever, and only gotten your information from Sean Hannity or somebody.

It's pretty obviously satire and people forward it in e-mail and say/believe it's an actual quote. Fail.

The stuff getting forwarded on emails makes Glenn Beck look like a philosopher king.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Here's a report on one survey that indicates the tea party is largely just Christian conservatives.

If I point at another poll that says 89%+ of self-identified Tea Party respondents are White, can I add that adjective? I think it's important. (only 3% self-identified as another group).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I'll try to find some polls tonight that ask self-identifying tea party supporters their positions on social issues. You may very well be correct.

You can check the one I just posted. Tea partiers are more strongly anti-abortion than a general sample, 65% think Global Warming isn't a serious problem or doesn't exist, 16% support gay Marriage (national number = 40%).

Interesting thing I note...only 28% of self-identified Tea Partiers have a favorable impression of Ron Paul, while 65-70% have favorable opinions of Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Stop painting tea party supporters with a broad brush!!

Here's a broad brush social issue poll question.

Compared with the general public, Tea Party members are decidedly pro-life -- with 63 percent saying abortion should become illegal in all cases (26 percent) or most cases (37%) compared with just 35 percent taking a pro-abortion position saying all abortions should remain legal (8%) or legal in most cases (27%).

PRRI's survey compared those results with self-described Christian conservative voters and found Tea Party members were less pro-life but not by a considerable amount.

Christian conservative, or evangelical, voters come in at a 69 percent pro-life clip (29 percent wanting all abortions illegal and 41 percent wanting most) while just 28 percent say they want all (6%) or most (22%) abortions legal.

Tom McClusky of the Family Research Cuoncil is not surprised by the results.

"Of the Tea Party events I’ve attended I’ve always met people who were well rounded conservatives (fiscal responsible, socially moral and believe in a strong national defense.) The only time I see division among branches of conservative thought is by wonks in DC as opposed to activists in the states," he said.

Tea Party members are more aligned with the Republican Party than Christian conservative voters with 48 percent saying they are GOP supporters, 41 percent saying they are independent, and just 10 percent favoring Democrats. Christian conservative voters are 39 percent Republican, 34 percent independent and almost a quarter say they are Democrats.

Tea Party members are also less inclined to support pro-abortion President Barack Obama than Christian conservatives.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
You can check the one I just posted. Tea partiers are more strongly anti-abortion than a general sample, 65% think Global Warming isn't a serious problem or doesn't exist, 16% support gay Marriage (national number = 40%).

Interesting thing I note...only 28% of self-identified Tea Partiers have a favorable impression of Ron Paul, while 65-70% have favorable opinions of Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.

it was interesting to see that 20% also consider themselves as Democrats or closely associate with the Democrats.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
it was interesting to see that 20% also consider themselves as Democrats or closely associate with the Democrats.

Ah, I found the 2008 exit poll data I was looking for. Self-identified conservatives, voting results in 2008...78% McCain, 20% Obama. Exactly the same margin.

Self-Identified liberals went 89% Obama.

These angry white men are one legion in a grassroots movement that has rewritten the political equation of the 1990s, and in the process helped to transform the Republican Party ... An army of conservative grassroots groups has mobilised middle-class discontent with government into a militant political force, reaching for an idealised past with the tools of the onrushing future: fax machines, computer bulletin boards, and the shrill buzz of talk radio. They have forged alliances with the Gingrich generation of conservatives and strengthened their hand as the dominant voice within the GOP family. Like a boulder in a highway, the conservative populist movement has become an enormous, often impassable obstacle in the path of President Clinton. No single factor in the Republican revival ... has been more important than the party's success at reconnecting with and invigorating the profusion of antiWashington and antigovernment movements sprouting in every state.
Memories...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
It's been so long since I've just sat around drinking white russians. Damn this adult responsibility and life.

I would've liked to continue but such as it is, I'm on my way to work