The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
I would argue the following:

1. There was no contract (and then list out every reason why the 4 elements were not met.)

In the alternative:

2. There was a contract but no performance by Trump.

3. It was a unilateral contract and revoked prior to performance.

etc.

I would never say "It was a joke, he didnt mean it." I would use the exact quote: "suppose that perhaps DT had been the spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan... I hope its not true... but, unless he can offer proof, I'm willing to offer $5million dollars to Donald Trump."

And argue that in no universe that can be interpreted as a contract. There is no clear offer, there is no way to accept, there is no meeting of the minds and there is no consideration.

Its a hypothetical. I dont see why "joke" has to be involved. the only reason hed have to go down the "joke" route was if he had actually made a legitimate offer that could be accepted. As he did not, it would stupid to argue its a joke, because that lends credence to the idea that in some world that may have been an offer.

But there is just no way a 3rd party can look at Maher's statement and come to the conclusion it was an offer. That is why Trump's attorney put in the nonsense about Trump's Obama bet, to try and argue that it was somehow prior course of dealing and therefore the terms were implied.

Once again, it just shows how nonsensical this complaint is, because the course of dealing was between Obama and Trump.

This lawsuit is a joke, but unfortunately its not funny and is a waste of court time and resources. I really hope that they sanction Trump, just to send a message. Courts arent for play time.

I agree about the frivolousness of the complaint.

To me, his comments suggest he might be willing to make an offer of a unilateral contract, but certainly not that he made one.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
No that isnt true.

if Bill Maher had said: "I will give trump $5mil if he can prove he is not the son of an oraguntan by January 1, 2013, and if he can not prove that he owes me $5mil."

If trump wrote a letter accepting that offer, it would be binding and maher would be on the hook.

But when you start a comment as a hypothetical its completely different. Words have meaning "suppose" means something. You cant parse the comment.

if maher also signed that letter, sure. if he only ever made his TV joke offer?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
if maher also signed that letter, sure. if he only ever made his TV joke offer?

A common misconception is that contracts need to be signed. You can have a verbal agreement, they are just harder to enforce (you have to prove all the elements of a contract without a writing) and generally have a shorter statute of limitations (Il its 5 years compared to 10 for written).

"A joke" is just saying "there was no meeting of the minds".

The more I think about it, the more I believe there is a chance that a Cali court sends a message. No one in Hollywood etc is going to want the door even opened a little for random people to sue tv shows over "contracts".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Something tells me that if a Republican administration (and a President with a last name rhyming with "push") concluded this, the media would have caved in on themselves. But Obama? Nothing to see here, move along.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...-americans?lite

Throwing back to this, also worth highlighting that it got picked up by the best news source out there.

http://wonkette.com/500403/bill-oreilly-ma...ink#more-500403

And then there is this other video, with Billo saying that “you never hear anything on NBC” about the Obama Administration’s legal argument for drone strikes — except that NBC News broke the story on the Justice Department’s memo about the legal argument.

This is why the reflexive "liberal media!!!" stuff is so silly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
http://wonkette.com/500403/bill-oreilly-ma...ink#more-500403

This is why the reflexive "liberal media!!!" stuff is so silly.

I'm one of the last people you'll hear cry liberal media bias. I don't think it has anything to do with a liberal agenda, just more of what the younger, more coveted audience brings them, and they just happen to be more liberal. Hating on Bush was fashionable. Hating on Obama is a sin. This administration has been dealt a f***ing cakewalk given the "awful" and "horrendous" Bush administation policies that he not only continues, but has expanded.

Hey btw, how's that Gitmo closing going? OH s***! It's still open?! Remember when that was the biggest issue in the history of the world? Oh what's that, a bunch of low level Marines pissing on dead Muslims and taking photos? That's not like Abu Grahib, Obama can't be faulted for the actions of a few!

Geez, now that I think about it, the media covers those issues every night...

http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/201...n-the-rise.html

Contrary to what you might expect from all the news about gun violence, accidental deaths from guns in the home are relatively uncommon, and have actually gone down slightly in recent years, according to a new study. But other deadly accidents at home, including poisonings, falls, and burns, are far more common, and on the rise. The good news: some simple measures can help prevent most of them

Oh no! Time to put a waiting period on assault gas stoves and those scary carpet rips that cause falls in the home.

Not sure this really deserves to be in the Republican Thread, but oh well:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/13/ind...2-year-old-son/

Home from Afghanistan for just five months, 25-year-old Indiana National Guardsman Willie Cook was gunned down while shielding his two-year-old son.

It's getting to the point in this City where if I were Governor I would call up the Illinois National Guard, or if I didn't have the authority ask for them, and put 4-8 armed soldiers on each corner with shoot to kill orders. If you're seen with a gun, you're shot on site. No questions asked. Do all the pre-warning bulls*** you want, but after a set deadline, that's the rule.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Martial law, summary executions and total gun bans.

(btw, East Chicago is a city in Indiana).

I know, but it's within the Metro area. 95% of the rest of the crime still happens in Illinois. Although, I guess we could clean up Illinois streets and just push them all into Indiana. Have fun Gary!

QUOTE (BlackJack @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
The Daily Beast ‏@thedailybeast

The public weighs in on the sequester, and it doesn't look good for the Republicans

Last i checked the sequester was Obama's baby.....no matter how much the mainstream media makes it out to be a Republican issue......

The Fix ‏@TheFix

How the immigration issue could tear the Republican party apart. http://ow.ly/hVmSf

Nick Confessore ‏@nickconfessore

Hagel update: Senators now asking Hagel to respond to stuff some guy says he heard Hagel say once but no one else remembers

Edited by BlackJack

QUOTE (BlackJack @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
The Fix ‏@TheFix

How the immigration issue could tear the Republican party apart. http://ow.ly/hVmSf

Nick Confessore ‏@nickconfessore

Hagel update: Senators now asking Hagel to respond to stuff some guy says he heard Hagel say once but no one else remembers

They should just ask him to recite the alphabet and see if he can even do that without stepping on his own dick and sounding like a moron. 2 to 1 the answer is no. Seriously, the guy is a moron, not very bright and full of anger towards what is our only ally in the area. He sees conspiracies involving Jews everywhere.