The Problem of owning TV's

RockRaines

So I have had the same LCD projection TV for about 5 years now. Of course I bought the extended warranty which just so happened to expire last year. I have never had a problem with the unit, its a Hitachi 50in model. Of course lately the fan has sounded like its run by a diesel engine and now this morning my picture has taken on a reddish hue on every channel.

My problem is this: Do I spend several hundred dollars to have it serviced or replace the bulb, or do I just dig deep and replace it with a shiny new 52in LCD from Sammy or Sharp. I figure ill make a decision by tonight, because I hate when things arent working correctly.

I mean, in this day and age, what are you supposed to do with technology that is somewhat affordable and also keeps putting your current purchases out of date?

--Thread Hi-jack--

I'm in the same boat with a different situation. I just got an oil change done on my car, and there were enough other things wrong with it that would cost probably more than my car's worth at the moment to fix (94 Altima).

I'm less than two months into the real world, and I had absolutely no intentions of having the expense of a car on my plate this soon.

And since the problems with my car aren't going to magically go away, I have to make a decision pretty much ASAP if I should pay for the repairs on my car or start looking at a new one (and new one = bottom of the line new, or the more likely case of buying a newer used car).

I'm not excited about either option, being that if I pay for all the repairs on my car, it's not 100% guaranteed how much longer everything will last for. And the expense of a car payment isn't something I'll be able to handle with much ease, with just starting out.

Bah.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
I suppose you've already asked this yrself, but it seems worth asking, just to be sure. The stuff with your car is actually bad, not just the typical oil change crap, right?

Rear brakes are at the end of their line, drive belts, cover gasket and coolant lines are leaking, and tires.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can get away with ignoring for an extended period of time is the tires.

So. Figured out a way to fix my current tv by resetting the memory which seems to be a temp fix listed on the internet as the "light engine" apparently is going bad. At least it gives me some time to find a good deal on a sammy or Sharp.