Chris Williams agrees to terms

Technically Hester has until August 5th or something like that because at that point the collective bargaining agreement indicates that he'd actually be giving up his UFA status for an additional year.

ne of the (rare) moments during which we gained some actual credibility in league circles came in 2005, when we explained that Eagles running back Brian Westbrook risked losing his ability to become an unrestricted free agent if he didn’t report to training camp by a specific date in August of that year.

By all indications, Westbrook’s agent didn’t know. And Westbrook eventually showed up.

Though the Collective Bargaining Agreement has been revised since Westbrook’s holdout, the provision in question still applies, and Bears receiver Devin Hester is the first guy who could lose a year’s credit toward free agency because of it.

Under Article XVIII, Section 1(cool.gif of the CBA, “a player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season.”

Since the 2008 regular season begins on September 4, Hester (a rookie in 2006) needs to show up by the close of business on August 5. Otherwise, he’ll not accrue a third NFL season in 2008. Four seasons are necessary to become eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Under the current CBA, however, it’s a distinction without a difference. Even with four accrued seasons after 2009, Hester would still be a restricted free agent, since six seasons of service are necessary to qualify for unrestricted free agency in the uncapped year of 2010.

But if new CBA is finalized before 2010 and if the four-season requirement for unrestricted free agency remains, Hester would be a restricted free agent in 2010, because he would have only three accrued seasons.

Bottom line? Look for Hester’s holdout to last no longer than August 5. Until then, he’ll be subject to fines of more than $15,000 per day, and he might have to repay 25 percent of his signing bonus allocation applicable to the 2008 season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
I actually want to see how Bennett and Monk will do. Another guy I wish the Bears would really give a good shot to is Hass.

I'm thinking Hass is toast. We have Lloyd, Hester, Booker, Bradley, Bennett, Davis, Monk, and Hass. Just too many ostriches.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
I wouldn't. Davis is better fundamentally but he's got a ridiculous skill-set which enables him to get open with ease and make plays.

So you're agreeing with me? lol

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
Hester is the one with the ridiculous skill-set, so nope, I'm not agreeing with ya. :)

Ok, you were confusing me.

I don't like the skill set of dropping sure TD passes though.