Make the best possible bullpen out of ex-Sox

caulfield12

The funny thing is that it seems we've done a great job over the years, if nothing else, of producing relief pitchers...unfortunately, most of their success has not been with the White Sox.

Frank Francisco

Matt Guerrier

Jon Rauch

Chad Bradford

Jesus Pena (just kidding!)

David Riske or Tom Gordon

Damaso Marte or Scott Schoeneweis

Scott Eyre

Keith Foulke

Bob Howry

Josh Fogg

Kip Wells

Matt Ginter

Jason Grilli

Bobby Seay (sort of, unsigned #1 pick)

Luis Vizcaino

Rocky Biddle

Alan Embree

Gary Majewski

Mike MacDougal

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
I always liked Tom Gordon. How is Kip (The Worst Pitcher in Baseball) Wells doing in relief? Has he found a niche finally?

He was on the DL for most of the year it looks like...27.1 IP, 29H, 19 BB, 22 K's, 1.76 WHIP, 5.27 ERA

Pitching in Colorado is obviously pretty tough. Josh Fogg actually did a pretty decent job for the Rockies while he was there. I never thought he would start a World Series game in his career, that much is for sure.

On, the bright side for him, he has somehow managed to earn $17 million dollars in salary from 2004-2008.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Where's Eric Gagne?

First of all, we'll never know how much of his results with the Dodgers were legitimate. I'm skeptical or dubious.

Second, losing a first round draft pick (not signing, although we didn't suffer losing AJ Hynch or Bobby Hill either) is much different than a 30th round pick. I think Cubs' fans should be more upset that they let Josh Hamilton go for virtually nothing to the Reds...compared to Sox fans being up in arms we didn't sign Eric Gagne.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
First of all, we'll never know how much of his results with the Dodgers were legitimate. I'm skeptical or dubious.

Second, losing a first round draft pick (not signing, although we didn't suffer losing AJ Hynch or Bobby Hill either) is much different than a 30th round pick. I think Cubs' fans should be more upset that they let Josh Hamilton go for virtually nothing to the Reds...compared to Sox fans being up in arms we didn't sign Eric Gagne.

Right. So you wouldn't have taken Sosa or Bonds?

Who said I'm (we're?) up in arms over losing him? I'm just saying...

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Man, we really have had some solid relievers pass our way over the years. If I had to form a 7-man bullpen with those guys, I think I'd take:

Matt Guerrier

Damaso Marte

Chad Bradford

Bobby Seay

Jason Grilli

Frank Francisco

Jon Rauch

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
Right. So you wouldn't have taken Sosa or Bonds?

Who said I'm (we're?) up in arms over losing him? I'm just saying...

Sosa wasn't on steroids until well into his Cubs' career.

When he played for the Sox, he was nicknamed The Panther and was almost as "wiry" as Ramirez. He also had one of the best RF arms in the game, along with Dye, Larry Walker and Vladimir Guerrero.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
I never liked getting rid of Marte. Anyone remember when Rocky Biddle was the closer for the Expos? Not saying I'd want him on my team but his named popped into my head.

I thought of Biddle or Majewski, but Biddle's out of baseball now and Majewski isn't close to the pitcher he was 3-4 seasons ago.

I remember meeting him in ST 2001 and thinking how tiny he was and how tall Rauch was.

Just out of curiosity, who is the girl in your sig? I know she's not the Iowa "Golden Girl" LOL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
I thought of Biddle or Majewski, but Biddle's out of baseball now and Majewski isn't close to the pitcher he was 3-4 seasons ago.

I remember meeting him in ST 2001 and thinking how tiny he was and how tall Rauch was.

Just out of curiosity, who is the girl in your sig? I know she's not the Iowa "Golden Girl" LOL.

haha Megan Fox is on my avatar, she was the girl on Transformers. Yeah she's not the Iowa Golden Girl, however maybe I'll make my way down to Des Moines early next week for the state fair and check out the golden girls, if there are any, haha.

Knightni made me a "Tennis Queens" signiture a while back of Kournikova and Sharapova, but at least on my computer it doesn't pop up anymore.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
haha Megan Fox is on my avatar, she was the girl on Transformers. Yeah she's not the Iowa Golden Girl, however maybe I'll make my way down to Des Moines early next week for the state fair and check out the golden girls, if there are any, haha.

Knightni made me a "Tennis Queens" signiture a while back of Kournikova and Sharapova, but at least on my computer it doesn't pop up anymore.

Wow, she looks more like an adult movie star in that pic for some reason. I guess she's not going to be in the 2nd Transformers movie.

How that geek/goofball Brian Austin Green from 90210 was lucky enough to win her over, I'll never know. However, with her fame ascending and his descending, I don't think it's fated to last forever. Who knows, she does have quite the tattoo with a reference to him.

I am from Bettendorf (Iowa alum too), originally...but live and teach university in Thailand now. Although I was married to a Russian model and we played tennis occasionally...does that count?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Wow, she looks more like an adult movie star in that pic for some reason. I guess she's not going to be in the 2nd Transformers movie.

How that geek/goofball Brian Austin Green from 90210 was lucky enough to win her over, I'll never know. However, with her fame ascending and his descending, I don't think it's fated to last forever. Who knows, she does have quite the tattoo with a reference to him.

I am from Bettendorf (Iowa alum too), originally...but live and teach university in Thailand now. Although I was married to a Russian model and we played tennis occasionally...does that count?

Ugh, now I'm pissed if she's not in the next movie. I have never been to Bettendorf, but I'm guessing there's a good chance you've never been to Mason City before. Both towns are roughly 30,000 I think. I go to UNI. That's awesome you were married to a Russian model, how did it end if you don't mind my asking?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)

Last I heard, she broke it off. Just an FYI ;)

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Ugh, now I'm pissed if she's not in the next movie. I have never been to Bettendorf, but I'm guessing there's a good chance you've never been to Mason City before. Both towns are roughly 30,000 I think. I go to UNI. That's awesome you were married to a Russian model, how did it end if you don't mind my asking?

The way all relationships between middle class teachers and 21 year old Russian models that have known each other one week, lol.

Seriously, my life has been a blast, though. I've had a chance to work in professional baseball (for the Augusta GreenJackets, as Director of Stadium Operations and Public Relations) for two seasons, for an NFL football player's foundation (I remember going to a NY Giants' game with a VERY young Jordin Sparks, because her father Philippi was best friends with the wide receiver I worked for), AmeriCorps/national service work for five years and then my teaching career has allowed me to live in Colombia (South America) for one year, China, the Philippines and now Thailand. And I coached high school basketball, volleyball and soccer.

Megan Fox is up there, but I have been lucky enough to meet/date some of the most beautiful girls imaginable in South America, Eastern Europe and now Asia, so my life hasn't been all bad. I've also managed to become fairly fluent in Spanish. Although almost every girl I meet thinks I am absolutely insane to listen to baseball through GameDay Audio at mlb.com, which they barely can conceive of...from 12 am until 10 am in the mornings, especially those Saturday and Sunday games or the Sox/Cubs games.

Most of the White Sox games start at 7:11 am here in Thailand, which is very ironic, because there's actually a 7-11 on about every street corner of Thailand. In the Philippines, it was Shakey's Pizza...here, we have KFC (more popular than McDonald's in Asia) and Dairy Queen, and an occasional Pizza Hut, Subway or Burger King.

Edited by caulfield12