After Washburn and Byrd, KW is looking at this list

caulfield12

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
expectations? there's 43 games left in the season. i think we pretty much know what we are getting from dotel at this point. which, btw, has been pretty damn good.

Yeah, he's been surprisingly good overall. He also put up a 3.72 ERA in July. From here on out, though, it's a question of whether you're going to get the dominant April/May Dotel or the mediocre June/July version who blew several big games. Given his track record, you'll have to excuse me for wondering whether or not the other shoe is going to drop down the stretch.

Edited by WCSox

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Yeah, he's been surprisingly good overall. He also put up a 3.72 ERA in July. From here on out, though, it's a question of whether you're going to get the dominant April/May Dotel or the mediocre July version who blew several games. Given his track record, you'll have to excuse me for wondering whether or not the other shoe is going to drop down the stretch.

no, i think that's a valid concern. at the same time, he's been pretty strong in august so far so there's no trend in place that would suggest he's on a consistent decline as innings pile up.

i think what we will see out of dotel for the rest of the year is what we've seen so far. for the most part he'll be good and even dominant at times, but he'll also have days when he gives up home runs and can't find the plate.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
Yeah, he's been surprisingly good overall. He also put up a 3.72 ERA in July. From here on out, though, it's a question of whether you're going to get the dominant April/May Dotel or the mediocre June/July version who blew several big games. Given his track record, you'll have to excuse me for wondering whether or not the other shoe is going to drop down the stretch.

ERA is so badly misleading when it comes to a reliever, especially when looking at shortterm splits. Half of the July ERA is due to one swing of the bat.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
no, i think that's a valid concern. at the same time, he's been pretty strong in august so far so there's no trend in place that would suggest he's on a consistent decline as innings pile up.

A two-week sample size is pretty small, but I more or less agree that his struggles are either mechanical or mental and not due to fatigue. Middle relievers tend to not experience "dead arm" issues in the way that starters do.

i think what we will see out of dotel for the rest of the year is what we've seen so far. for the most part he'll be good and even dominant at times, but he'll also have days when he gives up home runs and can't find the plate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Kenny signed him (especially given the massive pile of dung that we had last season) and he's having a much better year than anybody expected. But this is the same guy who had a 4.11 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP just last season and had a disasterous '06 with the Yankees. Dotel has value as a middle reliever, but I really don't want him in the setup role. I hope that Linebrink is able to come back soon.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
Half of the July ERA is due to one swing of the bat.

But that doesn't change the fact that he allowed those runners (inherited or not) to cross the plate and took us out of those games.

Dotel obviously has a lot of value to this team, but he's sure given up a lot of bombs and leads this year. I hope that Linebrink comes back soon.

Edited by WCSox

The Boston Herald reports that "there will be no 'player to be named' in the trade that brought Paul Byrd to Boston."

According to the newspaper, the Indians agreed to trade Byrd without getting a player in return because the Red Sox were the only team willing to absorb the entire $2 million remaining on his contract. The impending free agent is scheduled to make his Red Sox debut Friday. The Boston Herald reports that "there will be no 'player to be named' in the trade that brought Paul Byrd to Boston."

According to the newspaper, the Indians agreed to trade Byrd without getting a player in return because the Red Sox were the only team willing to absorb the entire $2 million remaining on his contract. The impending free agent is scheduled to make his Red Sox debut Friday.

So money, not trading within the division, was the #1 priority on Shapiro's mind. So how much cash are the Red Sox going to trade to the Indians for a $2 million contract, $1?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
But that doesn't change the fact that he allowed those runners (inherited or not) to cross the plate and took us out of those games.

Dotel obviously has a lot of value to this team, but he's sure given up a lot of bombs and leads this year. I hope that Linebrink comes back soon.

It still makes it one bad outing, especially when put up against his body of work, it is a blip on the radar for this season.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
So money, not trading within the division, was the #1 priority on Shapiro's mind. So how much cash are the Red Sox going to trade to the Indians for a $2 million contract, $1?

Yeah, I call BS on that story. I don't know of many contenders who need pitching that wouldn't pay $2 million for Byrd's services down the stretch. Especially since the Yankees were already in the running for Washburn. Other players who've been caught purchasing PEDs aren't exactly getting black-balled around the league.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
Yeah, I call BS on that story. I don't know of many contenders who need pitching that wouldn't pay $2 million for Byrd's services down the stretch. Especially since the Yankees were already in the running for Washburn. Other players who've been caught purchasing PEDs aren't exactly getting black-balled around the league.

Juan Rincon of the Twins got another job right away with an AL Central rival...I don't think it's the PED, it's probably more about not wanting to help another AL Central team, and the possibility he might end up staying in Minnesota/Chicago and coming back to the haunt the Indians. I guess there's any number of theories out there.

I know with Washburn, the M's wanted back talent...and they were willing to subsidize his contract, like the Phils did with Thome.

By the way, has anyone heard anything at all about a possible Crede return to the Charlotte line-up? I was glancing at wsi and there seems to be a lot of speculation that Crede is rehabbing expressly with the idea of coming back for next year (and getting a big FA deal) and not for the White Sox the final six weeks. I guess this makes a bit of sense, but I'm not sure how NOT playing or proving he can play after having yet another setback would possibly increase his value around the league? Maybe Boras thinks it's better not to risk something more catastrophic and that he convince another team (like the Tigers did with Ordonez) with a Top 10 budget to go out on a limb and sign him to a 3 year deal.

Strange to think Joe's more concerned with his FA status than the White Sox, although how much of this is the truth and how much is speculation, I have no idea. Obviously the White Sox have been doing "okay" without him so far and are missing Linebrink and Contreras (healthy) a bit more than Joe.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
By the way, has anyone heard anything at all about a possible Crede return to the Charlotte line-up? I was glancing at wsi and there seems to be a lot of speculation that Crede is rehabbing expressly with the idea of coming back for next year (and getting a big FA deal) and not for the White Sox the final six weeks. I guess this makes a bit of sense, but I'm not sure how NOT playing or proving he can play after having yet another setback would possibly increase his value around the league? Maybe Boras thinks it's better not to risk something more catastrophic and that he convince another team (like the Tigers did with Ordonez) with a Top 10 budget to go out on a limb and sign him to a 3 year deal.

Strange to think Joe's more concerned with his FA status than the White Sox, although how much of this is the truth and how much is speculation, I have no idea. Obviously the White Sox have been doing "okay" without him so far and are missing Linebrink and Contreras (healthy) a bit more than Joe.

Not true just crazy WSI posters. Nothing would hurt Crede's FA value more than sitting out the rest of the season with a back problem.